• Tabasco

14 22.22%
  • Phillip "Hot Sauce" Champion

1 1.59%
  • Other

17 26.98%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    I tried Sriracha and couldn't really get into it. Maybe I need to give it another whirl/try it on different foods. Suggestions on how to use it? It seems to be quite popular on the board. Also, I tried Texas Pete and liked it. I haven't uncorked my bottle of Tapatio yet.
    Rooster Sauce goes great with Asian and Pacific Island cuisines. My ex is Puerto Rican and her family put Rooster Sauce on everything. I did too and loved it! It's also a great addition to cocktail sauce and other seafood dipping sauces that need a little zing. I'd suggest using it with foods where a vinegar based sauce would destroy the flavor. You won't see me putting Rooster Sauce on my BBQ, and you won't see me putting Texas Pete in a stir-fry either.

Hot sauce

Sorry I'm a late comer to this thread ... but I have a strong favorite that only one other person has mentioned -- Crystal Louisiana Pure Hot Sauce.

It's a cayanne based sauce that's been manufactured in New Orleans since 1923 (until Katrina ... now they have a new plant in Reserve, La.). It's been the best-selling hot sauce in Louisiana for years. The last time I saw the New Orleans Times-Picayune run a poll on the subject, it was voted far and away the favorite hot sauce of the newspaper's readers.

I like it because it has real heat initially, but without the lingering burn of other hot sauces. It's great to cook with. And it's cheap ... remarkably cheap.

I was turned on to Crystal in 1993. I was in New Orleans for the Final Four and was able to attend a small, private cooking demonstration by Paul Prudhomme and he recommeded it (insisting that he didn't get a promotional cut from the manufacterer). A few years later, when I first saw Emirl Lagasse on the food network, he was using Crystal too (although now he uses his own brand-name hit sauce ... which is good, but overpriced).

Sometimes you have to scramble to find it ... I have to prod my local Kroger's at times. It's on their master list of products, but not on their automatic order list.

But try it -- as I say, it's cheap ... but's the best Lousiana-style hot sauce out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Rooster Sauce goes great with Asian and Pacific Island cuisines. My ex is Puerto Rican and her family put Rooster Sauce on everything. I did too and loved it! It's also a great addition to cocktail sauce and other seafood dipping sauces that need a little zing. I'd suggest using it with foods where a vinegar based sauce would destroy the flavor. You won't see me putting Rooster Sauce on my BBQ, and you won't see me putting Texas Pete in a stir-fry either.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to buy another bottle of the Rooster and give it a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Sorry I'm a late comer to this thread ... but I have a strong favorite that only one other person has mentioned -- Crystal Louisiana Pure Hot Sauce.

It's a cayanne based sauce that's been manufactured in New Orleans since 1923 (until Katrina ... now they have a new plant in Reserve, La.). It's been the best-selling hot sauce in Louisiana for years. The last time I saw the New Orleans Times-Picayune run a poll on the subject, it was voted far and away the favorite hot sauce of the newspaper's readers.

I like it because it has real heat initially, but without the lingering burn of other hot sauces. It's great to cook with. And it's cheap ... remarkably cheap.

I was turned on to Crystal in 1993. I was in New Orleans for the Final Four and was able to attend a small, private cooking demonstration by Paul Prudhomme and he recommeded it (insisting that he didn't get a promotional cut from the manufacterer). A few years later, when I first saw Emirl Lagasse on the food network, he was using Crystal too (although now he uses his own brand-name hit sauce ... which is good, but overpriced).

Sometimes you have to scramble to find it ... I have to prod my local Kroger's at times. It's on their master list of products, but not on their automatic order list.

But try it -- as I say, it's cheap ... but's the best Lousiana-style hot sauce out there.

I haven't tried it yet, but I found a bottle of the Crystal Hot Sauce. Hopefully I enjoy it!

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to buy another bottle of the Rooster and give it a whirl.

I haven't tried it yet, but I found a bottle of the Crystal Hot Sauce. Hopefully I enjoy it!
    Crystal sponsored the Cajun cook off in Saint Louis over the weekend. Did anyone attend?

Sauces that I like (in no particular order):
    Tobasco, Tobasco Chipotle (really like this one), Frank's Red Hot (I have their Wing Sauce too, but haven't tried it), Cholula (a personal fav), and Tapatio. I guess to this point Cholula and Tobasco Chipotle are my favorites. I do like the original Tobasco on pizza though!

I haven't tried the Crystal Hot Sauce I bought yet and honestly, I'm not a big fan of Texas Pete. Not sure why, just an ok sauce to me. Also, I'm still planning on purchasing some Rooster sauce this weekend and trying it again!

Sauces that I like (in no particular order):
    Tobasco, Tobasco Chipotle (really like this one), Frank's Red Hot (I have their Wing Sauce too, but haven't tried it), Cholula (a personal fav), and Tapatio. I guess to this point Cholula and Tobasco Chipotle are my favorites. I do like the original Tobasco on pizza though!

I haven't tried the Crystal Hot Sauce I bought yet and honestly, I'm not a big fan of Texas Pete. Not sure why, just an ok sauce to me. Also, I'm still planning on purchasing some Rooster sauce this weekend and trying it again!
    I was just gonna ask if you've had a chance to sample the Rooster sauce. Let us know how you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I was just gonna ask if you've had a chance to sample the Rooster sauce. Let us know how you like it!

I just bought another bottle of the Rooster sauce, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm still taking suggestions on what to put it on/uses!

http://www.trinidadcharlie.com/hot-sauce.htm

Trinidad Charlie's Pumpkin hot sauce is awesome. Whenever I hear of someone heading off to the USVI, I ask them to bring me back some.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I just bought another bottle of the Rooster sauce, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm still taking suggestions on what to put it on/uses!
    I use it on soups and stews. I have also put it on scrambled eggs and omelets. It was good on asian foods. Heck, anyplace you would use hot sauce would range from great to good.

I finally cracked open a bottle of Crystal Louisiana Hot Sauce and a bottle of Sriracha. I tried them both on tacos and I enjoyed both. The Crystal reminded me a lot of Tobasco (which makes sense, duh). I just used a little of the Rooster sauce on one taco and I enjoyed it. I think my beef with it is that it is so different in taste and texture from other hot sauces that I'm still just trying to figure it out.

I went to school at Tulane and tried a bunch of hot sauces there. I like Crystal better than Tabasco, but I really think Texas Pete is better than either one.

Texas Pete is my go-to hot sauce now and has been for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I went to school at Tulane and tried a bunch of hot sauces there. I like Crystal better than Tabasco, but I really think Texas Pete is better than either one.

Texas Pete is my go-to hot sauce now and has been for several years.
    I just can't get into Texas Pete for some reason. I just finished a bottle and it seemed...bland to me. I don't know what it is, but I don't think I'll be buying another bottle anytime soon. Tabasco, on the other hand, I like a lot. Their Chipotle hot sauce is really good I think. Not as hot as the original but much more flavor.

I just can't get into Texas Pete for some reason. I just finished a bottle and it seemed...bland to me. I don't know what it is, but I don't think I'll be buying another bottle anytime soon. Tabasco, on the other hand, I like a lot. Their Chipotle hot sauce is really good I think. Not as hot as the original but much more flavor.
    A few dashes of Texas Pete on the nachos along with a few jalapenos will always bring out a few beads of perspiration on the temples and back of my neck. Ymm, hot sauce (in small quantities, of course)...

Has anyone tried the new flavors Tobasco offers? They have a garlic sauce as well as a sweet & spicy (which is supposed to be a blend of Asian flavors). I'm thinking about buying their 6 sauce caddy they offer and just trying all of the ones I haven't had so far.

Texas Pete, and it's not even close. I put it on absolutely everything--burgers, chicken, eggs, pizza, tacos, barbecue, fries, hot dogs, steak, etc. It's the perfect balance between spicy and flavorful. Love the sutff. For extra kick, I go with Dave's Insanity or Blair's Death Sauce, but that's only for when I'm cooking fairly large amounts--a little goes a LONG way.

Blair's 16 million reserve.

mmmmmmm

http://www.chez-williams.com/Hot%20Sauce/hothome.htm

I'm actually scared of it.

With the sraicha (sp?) hot sauce, I find it's best for cooking with rather than just adding straight to food. I used to just go for the hottest sauces I could get my hands on but I realized that a lot of times these sauces trade flavor for heat. I find that texas pete and crystal are both very mild but contain lots of flavor that complements foods that you'd adding them to. Tabasco is a tad bit hotter but also has plenty of flavor.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

I put some Rooster sauce on white rice last night that I had with some orange chicken. I tend to mix everything together so while I didn't notice any added flavor (the orange sauce wiped out the taste of the Rooster sauce), I did notice and enjoy the added heat. So I have found at least one way to use it in which I will continue to do in the future!

I put some Rooster sauce on white rice last night that I had with some orange chicken. I tend to mix everything together so while I didn't notice any added flavor (the orange sauce wiped out the taste of the Rooster sauce), I did notice and enjoy the added heat. So I have found at least one way to use it in which I will continue to do in the future!
    I think this is one of the best attributes of Rooster sauce. It has a great chili flavor, and the heat spreads well through the dish without overpowering the meal, whereas the Louisiana-style sauces must be carefully measured against the other ingredients. Try adding the Rooster sauce to tomato-based seafood dips. Mmmmmmmmmm.

man you missed both of my top two (and only sauces I request at restaurants):
    • sriracha (rooster) sauce
    • cholula

one of my favorrites

Maggi Chilli Sauce -- has a little sweetness in it
    http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acata...lli-Sauce.html

Thai or Vietnamese Chilli cause are pretty good too, but I don't have a specific brand in mind ...
    The Chi Master