Thread: Eye Black?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Eye Black?

Whats up with ESPN's obsession with eye black? Does anybody actually care? They've run a segment on it like every day lately. Why?

I know, it is really starting to give the network a black eye.

I love eye black, mostly because it is almost always a study in absurd superfluity. They can tell me about glare from the sun until the cows come home, but we all know that athletes wear it primarily because it looks boss. I myself wear it in church league softball games, because it looks boss. I wish I could wear it to class, because it looks boss. I support any athlete's wearing of eye black, because it looks boss. It looks especially good when it's particularly out of place. For instance, I always wished Greg Maddux would start sporting eye black. Because that would be boss.
    Last edited by wilson; 11-21-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I love eye black, mostly because it is almost always a study in absurd superfluity. They can tell me about glare from the sun until the cows come home, but we all know that athletes wear it primarily because it looks boss. I myself wear it in church league softball games, because it looks boss. I wish I could wear it to class, because it looks boss. I support any athlete's wearing of eye black, because it looks boss. It looks especially good when it's particularly out of place. For instance, I always wished Greg Maddux would start sporting eye black. Because that would be boss.
    This pretty much sums up the only legit reason for wearing eye black. I defy anyone that says they weren't scared stiff seeing John Randle's eyes staring them down through the black.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    This pretty much sums up the only legit reason for wearing eye black. I defy anyone that says they weren't scared stiff seeing John Randle's eyes staring them down through the black.
    That picture is, in a word, boss. I think the eye black looks pretty sweet, though I think some of the messages written on are a little silly. Real eye black looks way cooler and more intimidating than the stickers those guys on ESPN are using.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That picture is, in a word, boss. I think the eye black looks pretty sweet, though I think some of the messages written on are a little silly. Real eye black looks way cooler and more intimidating than the stickers those guys on ESPN are using.
    Yeah, but those stickers are not eye black. Eye black is basically a big black lipstick. The stickers are a different item entirely.
    It's like how those "stirrup socks" are not stirrups. But nobody wears stirrups anymore anyway, a far greater tragedy than the eye black--> sticker transition.

I miss stirrups...

Yeah, but those stickers are not eye black. Eye black is basically a big black lipstick. The stickers are a different item entirely.
    It's like how those "stirrup socks" are not stirrups. But nobody wears stirrups anymore anyway, a far greater tragedy than the eye black--> sticker transition.
    Stickers are lame. I don't think John Randle would approve. Didn't the league ban him from painting his face?

The stickers are LAME. And they don't do what the traditional eyeblack is suppopsed to do- deflect the light. The stickers actually probably make vision worse.

The real question here however is: "How long until the NCAA puts in a rule to prohibit eyeblack messages?"

I don't think it will be long.

Quote Originally Posted by terrih View Post
    The stickers are LAME. And they don't do what the traditional eyeblack is suppopsed to do- deflect the light. The stickers actually probably make vision worse.

The real question here however is: "How long until the NCAA puts in a rule to prohibit eyeblack messages?"

I don't think it will be long.
    Eyeblack is supposed to instill fear in the hearts of men. It has nothing to do with deflecting light.

Talking Shout out to Miles' Bro!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Eyeblack is supposed to instill fear in the hearts of men. It has nothing to do with deflecting light.
    It's the inverse of what goes on with aye-ayes (they use eye white):

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    It's the inverse of what goes on with aye-ayes (they use eye white):
    Sweet! I'm gonna demand his presence on DBR as soon as he's back from Iraq!

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I know, it is really starting to give the network a black eye.
    Well played sir.