Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MBB Duke v. Michigan (Part 1) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Discuss tomorrow night's game here.

I hope we can figure out how to play against that 1-3-1 zone. Preferably in the first half this time.

if G can hit that three from the corner that he hit so well tonight, that will help against that 1-3-1. That was also a shot Kyle was quite fond of last year. Duke needs to move the ball quickly, get that defense out of position, and attack. I see Duke being more efficient against it than the 50 points or whatever UCLA managed.

Step 1- force turnovers/ push secondary break so they can't setup zone
    Step 2- Have a good night shooting the three
    Step 3- Put Dave/G on Harris
    Step 4- Go see a play on Broadway

I think Duke matches up better against UCLA than Michigan. This is going to be a tough game. DeShawn Sims and Corperryale "Manny" Harris are going to be huge problems due to their athleticism and speed. They remind me of some of those Florida State players that have surprised us in the past (long and athletic).

The weakness of a 1-3-1 zone is the corners and baseline. Passing out of the high post into the corner or to a player running the baseline is an effective way to exploit this weakness. I don't anticipate us having a problem attacking the zone.
    Bob Green

It's crazy to think that we'll face Michigan more times during the regular season that some of our ACC foes (e.g. Clemson, Miami, and NC State). It will make for an interesting subplot, given that our trip to Michigan is only a couple of weeks later (Dec. 6th).

I'll be looking to see whether we can continue the more efficient offensive performance from the SIU game.

It really hurts that Greg's not healthy

because we'll need a deep threat besides Kyle and Jon. How K attacks this zone will be interesting to watch as the skip pass is the best way to attack it in a half-court offense. Beilein is a master tactician, IMO (as is K) and this will be a fun match-up to watch, especially looking for 2nd half adjustments. I missed tonight's game but will be able to view tomorrow night. Should be a dandy!!

I'm tempted to assert that Duke is a much better outside shooting team than UCLA and will therefore be able to exploit the 1-3-1, but I think we're just too inconsistent right now and I hesitate to say "Duke is good at _____."

It's just too early. I would have liked to have seen two halves of basketball from us tonight. Hopefully we can wear Michigan down quickly - maybe they will be a bit more tired than us, and also a bit emotionally spent - which would make their D less effective. One things for sure, Bee-line is a heck of a coach to get those guys to give the kind of effort they gave on D tonight, and playing a defense that requires so much discipline at that.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    because we'll need a deep threat besides Kyle and Jon. How K attacks this zone will be interesting to watch as the skip pass is the best way to attack it in a half-court offense. Beilein is a master tactician, IMO (as is K) and this will be a fun match-up to watch, especially looking for 2nd half adjustments. I missed tonight's game but will be able to view tomorrow night. Should be a dandy!!
    Yes, it is clear that you missed tonight's game, for if you had watched you would know that all of the sudden G is a threat from 3-land. Let's hope it lasts.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    To all the folks wishing we were playing UCLA because you wanted to see us play (beat, maybe) the better (higher ranked) team, you have your wish. We will be playing the better team. UCLA was overrated, and unless we play a whole game like we did our second half tonight I have a hard time saying we aren't either. Friday's game will be an excellent gauge in how we stand up. Michigan is a fast team that works well off the break, alot like the style of play we are used to playing. If we let them run on us the same way they did UCLA, the game will be tight. I'm thinking we will come out ready to play from tip off, unlike tonight. I think it will be a blow out in our favor. But we have to play strong and much better defense down low than we did against So.Ill. The Salukis had way too many inside and underneath the basket plays, it surprised me how well they worked it in the paint. Also, and obviously, we can not turn the ball over. Michigan was a machine in forcing the ball away and scoring against UCLA. We let them do the same to us, it won't be a night for celebration.
    GO DUKE!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke is really inconsistent,but we are 4 and 0. Coach Knight pointed out two weaknesses. Careless with the basketball and bad weak side help defense. Correct those issues and we should do well against the Wolverines.

De Courcy's views
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=488763

Beilein = good coach

I've learned to respect Beilein (though I may not have learned to spell his name correctly...i before e, except as in nieghbor or weigh, or something like that...and I'm too lazy to open another browser to check if I've got it right). He's coached from the high school level on up and been successful at every level. He coaches defense, using the 1-3-1 very well, and a nice offensive system designed to create great opportunities for the talent he has. We'll see two very sharp coaches at work. I expect a great game with interesting and meaningful halftime adjustments by both teams.

A couple thoughts:
    1) Whoever pointed out that Singler's and Henderson's skill at the baseline 3 could help against the 1-3-1 was dead on.

2) Zoubs displayed a nice ability to pass out of the post. Again, that could be very useful against the 1-3-1.

3) Smith may be able to get inside the zone with his quickness, which will lead to open shots if he can pass back out of the defense.

4) Duke always handled Sendek's backdoor cuts well, so we do all right against Michigan's...but Coach K won't have much time to prepare our guys to defend it.

Feed the post. I like the two headed Singler-Zoubek monster from last night. If we do that tonight, we will be just fine.

internet broadcast

Does anyone know where the game will be shown on the internet that I could watch from my blackberry? I have a wedding to go to tonight and was in need of someway to watch. Thanks!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dbd4ever View Post
    Does anyone know where the game will be shown on the internet that I could watch from my blackberry? I have a wedding to go to tonight and was in need of someway to watch. Thanks!!!!!
    Invest in TIVO my friend. It saved my life. Then you can watch it at your leisure, sans commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by quickgtp View Post
    Feed the post. I like the two headed Singler-Zoubek monster from last night. If we do that tonight, we will be just fine.
    Right. That keeps the baseline active, forces some help D, and hopefully in turn opens up some open looks for our backcourt guys to shoot through the zone.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Best of luck.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Depending on your wireless provider, data package, etc., you may be able to watch it that way on ESPN360.
    But I agree...that sounds like a recipe for disaster. Who gets married on Friday anyhow? And on game night to boot? Sounds like you need some new friends.

not sure if it will show up on a Blackberry, but you might try http://www.channelsurfing.net/ they stream games for free.