17 27.42%
  • What is this, 1985?

4 6.45%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coke or Pepsi?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coke or Pepsi?

I feel like running a pointless poll today. Please leave all the various and sundry RC Colas, Dr Peppers, Cheerwines and other miscellaneous regional cola-based beverages out of this.

Coke. Duh.

Wink

We no longer live in Atlanta.

Pepsi.

Coke tastes much better when mixed with rum than Pepsi does. I don't drink Coke or Pepsi straight.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I feel like running a pointless poll today.
    EarlJam, is that you?

I took the Diet Pepsi challenge!

When I was in college I did take the Diet Pepsi challenge, and picked Diet Coke. Ever since then, I will not order Diet Pepsi.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    When I was in college I did take the Diet Pepsi challenge, and picked Diet Coke. Ever since then, I will not order Diet Pepsi.
    The "Pepsi" challenges don't show you much anyways. Studies have shown that overwhelmingly people choose Pepsi in blind taste tests when they sip both drinks after one another because Pepsi is slightly sweeter. However, you don't take one sip of a drink and then never have it again. You drink a whole bottle. In whole-bottle tests, Coke wins with more people.

I feel insulted if anyone gives me a Pepsi when I asked for a Coke. They aren't similar and one can not be substituted for the other.

Pepsi = yuck.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    They aren't similar and one can not be substituted for the other.
    Exactly. Coke should never be substituted for Pepsi as Pepsi is a far superior product - especially when mixed with Gibson's Sterling (25 year old Canadian whisky).

To me, Coke is sweeter, flatter, and leaves a film in my mouth. Give me an ice-cold Pepsi Cola anyday! And whatever happened to Pepsi Vanilla? I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Exactly. Coke should never be substituted for Pepsi as Pepsi is a far superior product - especially when mixed with Gibson's Sterling (25 year old Canadian whisky).
    That's the only way Pepsi could possibly be superior to Coke, adding alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Never had Gibson's. Is it that bad you have to mix it with something? I would think that you'd drink 25 year old whiskey straight up or perhaps with an ice cube or splash of water.

Back to the orignal topic.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Never had Gibson's. Is it that bad you have to mix it with something? I would think that you'd drink 25 year old whiskey straight up or perhaps with an ice cube or splash of water.

Back to the orignal topic.
    That's how I would drink it.

I voted Coke even thought I'm sitting in a spot less than 30 miles from where Pepsi was invented (downtown New Bern, NC). Pepsi is huge around here but I've always thought it was too sweet. I don't drink regular soft drinks anymore anyway - only Diet (Dr. Pepper, Mtn Dew, Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi, in that order of preference).

This thread cracks me up. People definitely have their preferences.

The thing is, this has been studied. If you take a group of people who say they love Coke and despise Pepsi, and you give them each in a blind taste test, the majority of them can't tell the difference.

If you tell them the Pepsi is Coke, they will prefer it, even though it's Pepsi.

Remember when they made "New Coke"? Everybody hated it, because it was an affront to change the time-honored formula, etc., etc.? Blind taste tests showed that most people preferred New Coke to the "classic" forumla. Even the guy who was the president of a group whose entire purpose was to get New Coke off the market chose New Coke in a blinded test.

Finally, everybody who reads this post will say "Maybe SOME people can't tell the difference, but I CAN." Everybody. Sort of the way 90% of Americans say they are better than average drivers.

Oh, and, by the way, I think Pepsi has a little more lemon/lime flavor to it (crisper) and Coke has a more mellow, rounded taste (maybe a touch of vanilla)?

I favor Diet Coke. Pepsi tastes metallic to me. When ordering a Diet Coke and being offered a Diet Pepsi, I always say no thanks and get iced tea instead.

Just for the record, Coke is currently walloping Pepsi by exactly a 2-to-1 margin. Take THAT!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Finally, everybody who reads this post will say "Maybe SOME people can't tell the difference, but I CAN." Everybody. Sort of the way 90% of Americans say they are better than average drivers.
    Yeah, it's weird how people do that...but seriously. I can tell the difference.
    On a related note, dogs are better than cats.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    This thread cracks me up. People definitely have their preferences.

The thing is, this has been studied. If you take a group of people who say they love Coke and despise Pepsi, and you give them each in a blind taste test, the majority of them can't tell the difference.

If you tell them the Pepsi is Coke, they will prefer it, even though it's Pepsi.

Remember when they made "New Coke"? Everybody hated it, because it was an affront to change the time-honored formula, etc., etc.? Blind taste tests showed that most people preferred New Coke to the "classic" forumla. Even the guy who was the president of a group whose entire purpose was to get New Coke off the market chose New Coke in a blinded test.

I have actually passed that taste test. They tried to tell me it was coke, I KNEW it was pepsi from the taste and told them so. They checked, and they had mixed them up. I was right. I also have the gene that lets me taste the difference between regular and diet, and diet makes me gag, literally. I can also tell the difference between old and new coke.

My dad had a friend who used to work for coca-cola, and he said that new coke was basically the diet coke formula with the no sugar sweetener replaced with the real stuff. I thought that was interesting.

And sorry for ruining the poll, but I REALLY can't stand either coke or pepsi anymore. If a fast food joint does NOT have pibb or DRP, I will get water or sprite w/ a splash of fruit punch, and I will think twice before going there again. Sorry, to me, might as well drink hot sewage. I see your water/milk, and raise you HOT GARBAGE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I have actually passed that taste test. They tried to tell me it was coke, I KNEW it was pepsi from the taste and told them so. They checked, and they had mixed them up. I was right. I also have the gene that lets me taste the difference between regular and diet, and diet makes me gag, literally. I can also tell the difference between old and new coke.

My dad had a friend who used to work for coca-cola, and he said that new coke was basically the diet coke formula with the no sugar sweetener replaced with the real stuff. I thought that was interesting.

And sorry for ruining the poll, but I REALLY can't stand either coke or pepsi anymore. If a fast food joint does NOT have pibb or DRP, I will get water or sprite w/ a splash of fruit punch, and I will think twice before going there again. Sorry, to me, might as well drink hot sewage. I see your water/milk, and raise you HOT GARBAGE!!!!
    Is there anyone who CAN'T tell the difference between regular and diet? I'll admit that cherry coke zero is a vast improvement over previous diet type sodas, but they all taste awful. Whether not you agree that they taste awful or not, I've never met anyone who claimed they tasted the same. That'd just be craziness.