The Shield Finale

Any thoughts out there on the upcoming final series episode of The Shield?
    Champagne Vic Mackey appears headed for something spectacular, but what? Another amazing escape, or a painful death in heavy machinery (real or metaphorical). The past few episodes of this very intense show have been really, really compelling.

Smile Mistook thread title

Rats. I thought this was a thread about Rugby!

I am of the opinion that The Shield has kind of devolved into melodrama this year. I've watched it from day one and this year it has kind of broken down. The Shane-pregnant wife getting stabbed, camping out in empty houses line is really ridiculous. She's horrible anyway. Corinne is just so aggravating, she's actually very convincing in the role. Acevada has been fair, his usual smarmy self; Dutch, meh. I wish they had a better set of villains, more of the Anthony Andrews (or whatever his name is) type. The Mexican drug cartel seems like a collection of boobs. Vic has been chewing the scenery with relish. I'll watch next Tuesday since a big, shocking finale is promised but I won't miss it when it's finally over. But, please, this is meant in no way as an attack on you budwom! All good, right?

I watched this week's episode -- first episode I've watched since mid-last season. The show has been spectacular at times, but it's devolved into a "What can Vic and the strike team get away with now" story line. Honestly, I hope he goes down in a way that is unheroic and perhaps even boring. He doesn't deserve any better.

I understand one of the major themes of this show is to create a feeling of conflict in its audience -- to sympathize with characters that are at their core detestable. The Wire did this much much more effectively with for instance (****SPOILER****) Snoop's comeuppance and Stringer Bell's death. (****SPOILER****)

Well the Shield has gone over the deep end (about half way through last season) and I've lost all sympathy for Vic and Shane -- the 2 key characters. I'll watch the finale, I think. I hope Vic gets arrested while sitting on the toilet and begs for mercy only to be thrown in a cell with Anthony Anderson's character.