View Poll Results: Do you root for UNC against non-ACC opponents?

Voters
272. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you kidding? Never in a million years!

197 72.43%
  • Sometimes, but I REALLY have to hate the other team.

44 16.18%
  • Most of the time, but I reserve the right not to.

21 7.72%
  • Always. It's good for the ACC.

10 3.68%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    I actually hope ol'roy and his band of heels show remarked improvement and win the NIT this year. Good luck roy on your quest for the banner you came so close to winning last year.

Call for a moratorium of smack against UNC

i hate writing this...most of you know how much i hate the holes, but i am getting an uncomfortable feeling reading so much glee in our posts about unc's UPCOMING season.

we really enjoyed the unc train wreck of last season, and it was magnified many times over by our team's amazing success, but our season is beginning tomorrow and i just feel like we might should tone down the smack about THEIR team and just move that energy into supporting Duke.

I'm not saying we can't enjoy some negative aspects of their season as we move along, but i for one HATE eating words...all it takes is an off night for us, and an upset win for them, to make us all feel like the State of The Sinking Feeling again...rememeber, they've got two (or more) opportunities to pay us back for 82-50.

My euphoria from last season is just that....LAST SEASON...as coach K said, we are going to pursue....so let's enjoy our season and if possible, beat them like a rented donkey every time we play them..

mods lock me up if this is out of order and spoiling everyone's fun...i appreciate the NICE pitchfork comments i got the other day when i whined, (according to some) so y'all can just jump all over that little comment box...

ps...mis-typed the title....moratorium ON smack...duh...
    Last edited by moonpie23; 11-13-2010 at 09:22 AM.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i hate writing this...most of you know how much i hate the holes, but i am getting an uncomfortable feeling reading so much glee in our posts about unc's UPCOMING season.

we really enjoyed the unc train wreck of last season, and it was magnified many times over by our team's amazing success, but our season is beginning tomorrow and i just feel like we might should tone down the smack about THEIR team and just move that energy into supporting Duke.

I'm not saying we can't enjoy some negative aspects of their season as we move along, but i for one HATE eating words...all it takes is an off night for us, and an upset win for them, to make us all feel like the State of The Sinking Feeling again...rememeber, they've got two (or more) opportunities to pay us back for 82-50.

My euphoria from last season is just that....LAST SEASON...as coach K said, we are going to pursue....so let's enjoy our season and if possible, beat them like a rented donkey every time we play them..

mods lock me up if this is out of order and spoiling everyone's fun...i appreciate the NICE pitchfork comments i got the other day when i whined, (according to some) so y'all can just jump all over that little comment box...

Moon Pie, bashing UNC is one of the few vices I have left!!

I do get what you are saying, and I think that once we tip it off a lot more focus will be on the blue devils. BUT, I have to reserve the right to bash Roy as often as I can. It may be a little twisted, but I almost get as much pleasure out of their disappointments as I do out of our successes.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Moon Pie, bashing UNC is one of the few vices I have left!!

I do get what you are saying, and I think that once we tip it off a lot more focus will be on the blue devils. BUT, I have to reserve the right to bash Roy as often as I can. It may be a little twisted, but I almost get as much pleasure out of their disappointments as I do out of our successes.
    Yeah, bashing our rivals is IMO an intrinsic part of being a Duke basketball fan.

Maybe a consolidation of such threads would be in order?

As Coach K would say...

You can't defend and NIT title you've already lost.

It's a new season fellas. Here's to rooting for UNC to fail at life for another year!

I've been saying something along these lines for a while. It's not so much that it's not fun to watch them lose, it is. But the childishness of some of the posts, and the poor logic of others just seems to devalue the quality of serious discussion, imo. As I said before, I'd hate for this place to become TDD-lite.

This post is the difference between Duke fans and unc fans. I have friends who root for the baby blue and they still bring up the bad Duke years or hansboro. While Duke fans (case in point this post) get hesitant to bring up the past and would rather focus on the her and now. As far as I can see Duke fans have the edge over any unc fan until a new champion is crowned. I totally agree with everything you guys are saying; it's fun to root for whoever carolina is playing but I am more interested on how Duke comes out against Princeton. carolina fans can't see that, instead they pick and choose what history they like to retell and leave things like the nit year out of the conversation.

I say, we as Duke fans, can do both. We can gloat and bask in last years success and STILL make fun of carolina fans for last year AND this year. I mean c'mon I watched the Lipscomb game last night, unc did not look like a top 10 team. I'm sure they'll get better as the year progresses but who knows. That is the same thing people were saying last year and look how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by cbros View Post
    This post is the difference between Duke fans and unc fans. I have friends who root for the baby blue and they still bring up the bad Duke years or hansboro. While Duke fans (case in point this post) get hesitant to bring up the past and would rather focus on the her and now. As far as I can see Duke fans have the edge over any unc fan until a new champion is crowned. I totally agree with everything you guys are saying; it's fun to root for whoever carolina is playing but I am more interested on how Duke comes out against Princeton. carolina fans can't see that, instead they pick and choose what history they like to retell and leave things like the nit year out of the conversation.

I say, we as Duke fans, can do both. We can gloat and bask in last years success and STILL make fun of carolina fans for last year AND this year. I mean c'mon I watched the Lipscomb game last night, unc did not look like a top 10 team. I'm sure they'll get better as the year progresses but who knows. That is the same thing people were saying last year and look how that turned out.
    I love the fact that I still hear trash from UNC fans about Duke's "easy" path to the title. Keep in mind, the trash talk is coming not from a perspective of thinking they had an unfair disadvantage and tougher path, but from fans whose team wasn't even in the TOURNAMENT!! That really does amaze me!

Quote Originally Posted by cbros View Post

I always focus on the her and now!

While smack talk is fun, it might be wise to limit it to one general thread... if our recruiting for the year gets one thread, not sure Carolina deserves more!

Men rise above it, boys don't!

If this is your only vice, to make smack of UNC, you live a very very shallow life.

Remember, you only talk about the ones you fear. The more you talk about UNC the more it shows you fear them. No matter what you say, you fear them.

To listen to my UNC friends talk about Duke, it makes me smile and they just hate that. When asked I reply, you only spend time talking about those who you fear. ANd they agree!

So talk all you want, it is only going to be about those who you FEAR!

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

You're right. And we're getting too many UNC threads going, too. There's more college hoops out there...

-jk