View Poll Results: Do you root for UNC against non-ACC opponents?

Voters
272. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you kidding? Never in a million years!

197 72.43%
  • Sometimes, but I REALLY have to hate the other team.

44 16.18%
  • Most of the time, but I reserve the right not to.

21 7.72%
  • Always. It's good for the ACC.

10 3.68%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Oh please.

Next question.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    I conjured up a similar starting five when this thread was 4 posts long but scrapped it because I thought the post was too puerile. Now I hope I can live up to the thread's standards.

My starting five was: Adolf "I invented the fastbreak" Hitler, Grigory "Never Say Die" Rasputin, Hannibal "the organ grinder" Lecter, Sean "I will possess your soul" Hannity and the Penguin, with Satan coaching, and Hannibal eating the organs of orphans on the sidelines during timeouts (with a nice Chianti, they are the wine and cheese crowd after all.) Got to go with Satan and the boys from down under on this one. And I have a degree from UNC, MSPH as I recall. I think I lost it during a move 3 years ago...but I don't really care.

This thread has taken on a disturbing Dante-esque quality.
    The Devil made us do it

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    I absolutely rooted for UNC against that Michaigan team, which I couldn't stand. And now I always root for them against Maryland, because it's the fan base of UMCP that is most obnoxious where I live. If I lived in NC, I probably would reverse that.
    This is probably the only scenario under which I can support a Duke fan's choice to root for kuralonna. However, I do not envy you. Godspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I would root for Fleetwood Mac against the heels.

You just go your own way wilson, baby!

Against Uconn, yes. Against anyone else, no. At best, I can feign indifference.

As the great Ken Kesey once said

You're either on the bus, or your off the bus.

There's really no choice. And if you ever waver, just talk to a carolina fan for 2 minutes.

i would pull for the taliban against UNC...

Bless me father for I have sinned . . .

I must admit that I have – infrequently – rooted for UNC “in conference” when they play Maryland, only because I despise the “Fear the Classroom” crowd so deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    For a Duke fan, I really believe that there is only one answer. You never root for UNC. Never.
    What he said... It shows remarkable restraint.
    I'd have peppered it with much more vitriol and mindless hatred if I had to say it myself.

To even ASK the question calls your character into question...

Easiest question ever.

Hell, no!

Personally, I root for them in early-season OOC games because I want them to be as self-deluded as possible going into the ACC season. Never root for them in the tournament.

I like this thread

I cheer for ACC schools through the tournament (because it makes the conference look better), but I would never cheer for UNC. Personally I want them to get a dozen McDonalds all Americans and then get blown out every game by fifty for the rest of eternity. So it shows how crappy of a coach Williams is. OK they may have been over the top, but the answer is never!!!

The only scenario where I would hesitate for a millisecond regarding rooting against UNC would be if they were playing UK under the helm of Coach Cal. But even in that scenario, I would still have to root against UNC.

It's in the blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I once witnessed them being shut out for a half. I enjoyed it.
    One of the DBR Founding Fathers started the Air-ball chant at that game. True story. 7 - 0 is my all time favorite halftime basketball score!

I have rooted for the Russians against unc.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The only time I could consider it is if they were one game away from playing us in the tourney (a la '91). There's a chance that my inner basketball fan could persuade my inner Duke fan that the epicness would be worth the delayed gratification of beating them personally. Maybe. He'd have to make one hell of a good argument.

I would have to buy a pressure washer to get rid of the stench afterward though.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    One of the DBR Founding Fathers started the Air-ball chant at that game. True story. 7 - 0 is my all time favorite halftime basketball score!
    James and I were classmates at Duke. I accompanied him on a couple of ACC road trips. And I know he takes credit for the airball chant, but I wasn't sitting near enough to him to know if it's really true (it's certainly true that the entire stadium chanted it that day, every time Chick Yonakor touched the ball after his ill-fated first half shot attempt). At the time (and maybe now; for all I know it's true) James also claimed to be a direct descendant of George Washington. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    The only time I could consider it is if they were one game away from playing us in the tourney (a la '91). There's a chance that my inner basketball fan could persuade my inner Duke fan that the epicness would be worth the delayed gratification of beating them personally. Maybe. He'd have to make one hell of a good argument.
    That was the day I tried to root for them (Final Four, 1991). Just after the jump ball I realized I couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    ... it's the fan base of UMCP that is most obnoxious where I live. If I lived in NC, I probably would reverse that.
    It's taken this old, now-revived, thread to get me to fully understand the degrees of hatred of UNC. It's possible that those of us who do not now live, and have not much in the past lived, among UNC [or Md] fans, can't fully understand how obnoxious those fanbases are.

Now maybe the intensity of the "What a dumb question" responses has little to do with proximity to Heeldom [or Terpdom]. But a fair number of responses have at least noted this factor as significant, maybe determinative.

Never having had to deal with UNC/Md/UK fanatics in numbers, at work, wherever, my own 9F 9F 9F is, maybe, tempered by this "innocence," this naivete. Knowing what a great university is UNCCH, admiring its academic excellence, and remembering Dean Smith as a superb [albeit irritating] coach, yet, as I now see, not knowing the everyday awfulness of the idiotic fanbase, I appreciate the fierceness of so many of the posts in this thread.

I sort of understood this phenomenon by virtue of my intermittent visits to I[diot]C. But this thread spills and spells out some powerful stuff.

I employ a ranking system of teams I dislike the most, with UNC being at the top. Based upon those rankings, I would not exactly cheer, but at least pull for those teams with "lower seed."

In other words, I never ever root/pull for UNC because no other team is higher on the dislike scale. If UK were to play UConn, I would sorta pull for UConn to win ugly cause I dislike UK more.

Or I just watch something else on TV.

Never. Ever. EVER. If they are playing an exceptionally despicable team I root for a meteor strike.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age