View Poll Results: Do you root for UNC against non-ACC opponents?

Voters
272. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you kidding? Never in a million years!

197 72.43%
  • Sometimes, but I REALLY have to hate the other team.

44 16.18%
  • Most of the time, but I reserve the right not to.

21 7.72%
  • Always. It's good for the ACC.

10 3.68%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I never root for Carolina...under any circumstances. Wrong shade of blue...

Um, No.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe
    And how many cents did it cost Ol' Roy to purchase a Coke?

Answer: a dime.

Have we forgotten that commercial?

Note to Cavlaw: CokeZero?
    No! Coke Zero isn't as good as Coke (although I like it okay, in cherry form), but you really don't remember Coke II?

I rooted for them the first time ever this week against KY. I live in Lexington, so you'd really have to be here to understand why. UK is probably the only school I'd marginally root for them against.

No!

As others have said, NO WAY. I've lived in RTP since 1991 and have been on the east coast most of my life. Used to actually like UNC as I've been an ACC fan since the early 80's. Then I moved here and met the Tar Heel faithful. What a hatefull bunch of people with an incredibly unrealistic, disrespectful view of college basketball. The difference between Duke fans and UNC fans? Duke fans love our team and hate Carolina. But we mostly love our team. Carolina fans hate all things Duke and btw, they like their team some too. Big difference. I know UNC fans who wanted Team USA to lose and others who were very conflicted (got to hear "rat face" lots of times). Screw them. When Kansas beat Hansblahtravelflopper and the holes in the tournament I felt as though a huge weight had been lifted and all was suddenly right with the world. People were coming by my cube the next day to congradulate me! I would only have been happier had Duke been winning. I could type for another hour and still not portray how much I like to see them lose. I wasn't always this anti-UNC but after 17 years I just don't see the need to mask it anymore. I get seriously conflicted when they have injuries. I'd love nothing better than to see the ACC win every out of conference game....except for the UNC games. 9F 9F 9F <---repeat 10000000000000000 times!

Why did North Carolina get UNC and Afganistan get the Taliban? They got first choice!

Wow, I feel better now

Quote Originally Posted by Dukiedevil View Post
    I rooted for them the first time ever this week against KY. I live in Lexington, so you'd really have to be here to understand why. UK is probably the only school I'd marginally root for them against.
    A friend of mine lived in Ky for a couple of years. Their view of college basketball is just like UNC's...they are really really great and everyone else is a lesser program that should feel blessed if they get a chance to play them. As a Duke fan, my friend just got tired of trying to fix them. He also got tired of trying to explain to them the dominance of the ACC. Don't bother them with facts darn it, facts don't matter in Ky!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dukiedevil View Post
    We just moved here to Lexington.

We definitely pulled for the darker, ugly uniforms.

Cavlaw: Yeah, I remember the NEW COKE, but I didn't realize they renamed it Coke II. I was abroad at that time.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

No. No. No. Didn't a presidential candidate play there. I wonder if he cursed them. Since then they have had two starters and a highly regarded sub go out with injuries.

I used to cheer for all ACC teams against all non-conference opponents. Even Maryland. I'll still favor UNC in that situation, usually, but my stance changed a bit when I attended a couple of ACC tournaments in North Carolina. UNC fans always cheer loudly against Duke when we play anyone else, including the newcomers BC and Miami. All other teams and players are treated with respect (witness the cheers for Sean Singletary when he left his last game last March) but not Duke's. I guess that's part of the rivalry, as this poll proves.

If UNC ever squares off against Nazi Germany or Rosie O'Donnell, I will *consider* rooting for them.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    If UNC ever squares off against Nazi Germany or Rosie O'Donnell, I will *consider* rooting for them.
    They wouldn't have any healthy players left after facing Rosie. They'd have to call off the season due to injuriy.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Nope, sorry. I'd rather just go on back to the Yardbirds. Plus, I have a reputation to uphold here. There is nothing good about Fleetwood Mac, ever.
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion. To me, pre-Nicks Fleetwood Mac is a totally different animal.

I would pull for them if I really hated the other team, but not if it meant something. Like if it was a tourney game or something, then I'll pull for the meteor.

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    I actually pulled for unc against Kansas in the 1957 finals. I've felt dirty ever since. Now I'd pull for the Al Qaeda All Stars against the eunuchs (the proper pronunciation of unc).
    The eunuchs - too funny! I tried to root for the Heels in 1994 at the Super Dome in the final game against the Fab Five. Could not do it - ended up screaming at Chris Webber.

My recent solution is simply not to watch Carolina's high-stakes games. Problem solved. Didn't watch the 2005 Final.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    The eunuchs - too funny! I tried to root for the Heels in 1994 at the Super Dome in the final game against the Fab Five. Could not do it - ended up screaming at Chris Webber.
    It was 1993, and I considered rooting for them but decided against it.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Imagine this:

Carolina's starting 5: Hanstravel, Dancin' Danny Green, "John" Wayne "The Duke" Ellington (calling Mr. Berman), Tywon "Break the drivin'" Lawson, and "Celine" Deon Thompson.

Opposing starting 5: Josef Stalin, Adolf Hitler, Osama Bin Ladin, Idi Amin, and, playing center, The Anti-Christ.

It's a tough call, but I'm still leaning against Carolina.
    I conjured up a similar starting five when this thread was 4 posts long but scrapped it because I thought the post was too puerile. Now I hope I can live up to the thread's standards.

My starting five was: Adolf "I invented the fastbreak" Hitler, Grigory "Never Say Die" Rasputin, Hannibal "the organ grinder" Lecter, Sean "I will possess your soul" Hannity and the Penguin, with Satan coaching, and Hannibal eating the organs of orphans on the sidelines during timeouts (with a nice Chianti, they are the wine and cheese crowd after all.) Got to go with Satan and the boys from down under on this one. And I have a degree from UNC, MSPH as I recall. I think I lost it during a move 3 years ago...but I don't really care.

This thread has taken on a disturbing Dante-esque quality.

Never have never will. I woulld root for the Taliban before tje Tar Heels

just can't do it

Even when I feel like I "ought" to, because I should support the ACC, I Can't do it emotionally. For example, as much as I disliked Michigan's Fab Five, it broke my heart when Chris Webber called that timeout and gave UNC the championship.

I absolutely rooted for UNC against that Michaigan team, which I couldn't stand. And now I always root for them against Maryland, because it's the fan base of UMCP that is most obnoxious where I live. If I lived in NC, I probably would reverse that.