View Poll Results: Do you root for UNC against non-ACC opponents?

Voters
272. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you kidding? Never in a million years!

197 72.43%
  • Sometimes, but I REALLY have to hate the other team.

44 16.18%
  • Most of the time, but I reserve the right not to.

21 7.72%
  • Always. It's good for the ACC.

10 3.68%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Never got that cold!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    In the past, I always rooted for UNC when they played non-conference opponents, particularly big games. My position was was I'd rather see a win for the ACC. But I find as the years go by that I have a harder and harder time doing so. Really, I was hoping for a 0-0 tie the other night when they played UK. So, what's your poison?
    I pretty much don't watch enough non-Duke basketball for this to be significant, so I am taking a very loose interpretation of the word "root" (I picked the third box.) I look at the paper the next day, and if Carolina won I say "good for the ACC" and move on. If they lost I say, "boo-hoo tar-holes" and grin. If that's rooting for them than I plead guilty.
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    In the past, I always rooted for UNC when they played non-conference opponents, particularly big games. My position was was I'd rather see a win for the ACC. But I find as the years go by that I have a harder and harder time doing so. Really, I was hoping for a 0-0 tie the other night when they played UK. So, what's your poison?
    Rarely cheer for them - unless I dislike the other team (like vs. KY or UCON(N)). I always cheer for them in the NCAA tournament as I do with all ACC teams. I have a ton of UNC fans - like to see them happy. Maybe I just need new friends.

"Dr. Rosenrosen" - great name. My screen name is VanGo, but I go by John Cocktostone - I'm with the Underhills.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I would root for Fleetwood Mac against the heels.
    Okay...how about UNC vs Nicholas Sparks (and clones or some of his fictional characters)?

Imagine this:

Carolina's starting 5: Hanstravel, Dancin' Danny Green, "John" Wayne "The Duke" Ellington (calling Mr. Berman), Tywon "Break the drivin'" Lawson, and "Celine" Deon Thompson.

Opposing starting 5: Josef Stalin, Adolf Hitler, Osama Bin Ladin, Idi Amin, and, playing center, The Anti-Christ.

It's a tough call, but I'm still leaning against Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Okay...how about UNC vs Nicholas Sparks (and clones or some of his fictional characters)?
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Nicholas Sparks lives in coastal NC somewhere, so I guess there's a decent chance that he's a dadgum tarheel. Just another reason that he should suffer gratuitous pain.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Nicholas Sparks lives in coastal NC somewhere, so I guess there's a decent chance that he's a dadgum tarheel. Just another reason that he should suffer gratuitous pain.
    Indeed, he lives in New Bern...Pepsi country. So that's another strike.

I'd sooner drink diet Coke Vanilla than root for the holes.

Fleetwood Mac

I would root for Fleetwood Mac against the heels.
    Would that be with or without Stevie Nicks? They were actually really good before her era.

BTW, I would root for the "Axis of Evil" traveling all-stars, coached by Kim Jong-Il, against the Holes.

I can only think of one Hole that I truly like, and that's Brad Daugherty. He's a great guy.

My shame

I actually pulled for unc against Kansas in the 1957 finals. I've felt dirty ever since. Now I'd pull for the Al Qaeda All Stars against the eunuchs (the proper pronunciation of unc).

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I'd sooner drink diet Coke Vanilla than root for the holes.
    Hmm, but what about Coke II?

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Would that be with or without Stevie Nicks? They were actually really good before her era.
    Nope, sorry. I'd rather just go on back to the Yardbirds. Plus, I have a reputation to uphold here. There is nothing good about Fleetwood Mac, ever.

Only when the opposing teams starting center is Osama Bin Laden.

Put it like this, I cheered so loud for Kansas last year that my neighbors could hear me. I cried when Kansas won I was so happy to see the holes liquidated.

dukestheheat

Brother can you spare a dime

Indeed, he lives in New Bern...Pepsi country. So that's another strike.
    And how many cents did it cost Ol' Roy to purchase a Coke?

Answer: a dime.

Have we forgotten that commercial?

Note to Cavlaw: CokeZero?

ill gladly take the hit to the acc for UNC to hypothetically lose to a team like Weber St.

oh wait....

No way!!!!! I've always said, my favorite team is Duke, and second favorite is whoever is playing carolina.

When Carolina losses I dance. If I rooted for Carolina I would be happy they won and would be deprived of my dance.

This is actually tougher for me.

As a person who moved away from his home state of North Carolina after college graduation, I had learned to support all things North Carolina. When living in the state of Texas just about the only thing you can find on it with the words "North Carolina" is something from that dang school.

It's good for the ACC too but I don't think the ACC needs that much help!

Thank God I moved back east. Now when I watch them it's more for scouting than anything else. I just DON'T ever believe in that team...

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I once witnessed them being shut out for a half. I enjoyed it.
    I witnessed such a game also - but the score at halftime looked more like a football score than basketball. I always respected Dean Smith as a coach - but he was outcoached in that game - in my humble opinion.