View Poll Results: Do you root for UNC against non-ACC opponents?

Voters
272. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you kidding? Never in a million years!

197 72.43%
  • Sometimes, but I REALLY have to hate the other team.

44 16.18%
  • Most of the time, but I reserve the right not to.

21 7.72%
  • Always. It's good for the ACC.

10 3.68%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Moonpie, I thought they were the taliban.

Oh Lord no, no way EVER! Even when they play against Kentucky it would be like comparing the Germans to the Japanese during WWII.
    I know, typical arrogant Duke fan, I want UNC to lose very game they play.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I tape all of the UNC basketball and football games but only watch them if they are losing. If they start winning I hit fast forward. Lets just say i watched alot of UNC basketball last year, so in a way I was a fan.

Would I root for UNC?

Never. Ever. Not once. Not against anyone. Not in any sport, competition, or academic or any other ranking. Not until (and probably not even when) I hear one single UNC alum or fan says something positive about Duke without a backhanded, smug or condescending qualifier appended to the comment.

True story from about 3 months ago- My favorite recent overheard comment from a UNC grad was that, despite a problematic and persistent medical issue, he would not go to the Duke Medical Center because it was, you know, at Duke and he would take his chances at another hospital, thereby also eliminating the off-chance that he might run into some Duke players doing visits. Certainly not representative of most UNC folks to be sure, but I would wager that we can all come up with something similar.

Of course we always demonstrate excruciating circumspection and ultimate good sportsmanship about UNC's accomplishments and shortfalls. Seriously, after congratulating my UNC alum brother-in-law after their 09 championship, I got the usual call from him at the end of the Butler game- easy draw, refs in the pocket, lucky, K does all manner of poor and illegal things, next year UNC will rule and all that . So- 9F a million times till the end of time.

Never. Never. Never.

My shame

Quote Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
    Never. Never. Never.
    I wish you were around in 1957. I actually pulled for unc against Kansas. I've felt dirty ever since. That's why my .sig is so meaningful to me. Don't do it, just don't do it. You'll regret it for life.

I used to say id pull for Hell before id pull for the heels but now that i own a restaurant ive almost changed my thought process. Our business sucks when unc sucks, you cant find a unc fan within a 50 mile radius when they are not good. Our best 2 years in business were 05 and 09 by far and that is not a joke, i got numbers to prove it. Last year was my worst year since we opened in 04 and it was really bad. It was so bad I almost want UNC to only loose 4 times, Duke twice in the regular season, Duke in the ACC tourney final and to Duke in the NCAA final.

No, nor do I pull against them. I only root for Duke basketball.
    I almost found myself pulling for the holes their last nat champ game vs MSU. I was in a pub on vacation with my fam in Orlando and it was mostly MSU fans and they were acting like NC was a redneck hillbilly type place and I started getting ticked off. I told my wife lets go so I don't have to pull for the holes.

No, can't root for them ..

There was a time when I might have,, back in the late 60's early 70's when UCLA was beating everyone , I "might" have,, ( nah ),,

Another thought for me is,, There is no better wins than Duke wins over unc-ch, An ACC Championship Win, and of coarse and NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP WIN for DUKE..

But there are times I get more joy out of a unc-ch loss than a regular season Duke win.
    They lose and I'm just happy inside.

Watching UNC lose is great comedy; but secretly, I'd rather see Duke beat a strong UNC team and a weak one.

I would love to see Duke beat UNC 4x in one season (ACC Tourney Championship + NCAA Championship).

I respect UNC. I do not respect UMD (mostly b/c of the fans/students).

UNC

Hard to root for them against anyone. Maybe just a little easier when they play against Kentucky. But usually it is not rooting for them as much as not rooting against. But that said, if ever you do pull for them- you definitely do not feel all that bad if they lose.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Hard to root for them against anyone. Maybe just a little easier when they play against Kentucky. But usually it is not rooting for them as much as not rooting against. But that said, if ever you do pull for them- you definitely do not feel all that bad if they lose.
    If the fate of earth was determined by a UNC-CH basketball game, a would quickly become nihilistic and root for defeat and annihilation.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    If the fate of earth was determined by a UNC-CH basketball game, a would quickly become nihilistic and root for defeat and annihilation.
    IMO, you are FAR too GENEROUS in your support of UNC! "Quickly" is too slow. "Always" is more appropriate.

I used to root for UNC when they played non-conference, as a matter of ACC pride. But I hate Roy Williams, and have felt that way since his earliest Kansas days. And the minute UNC hired that smarmy guy, I have rooted for them to lose every game. I can't quite put a finger on why I can't stand him, but I do and I have felt that way about very few coaches.

I know alot of folks on this BB will disagree, but I always respected Dean Smith, and had a kind of perverse pride when he did well against non-ACC opponents.

Someone please hack DBR to find the names of the 73 people who think that rooting for UNC is acceptable. We must shame them publicly. Okay maybe just the 10 who believe this "good for the ACC" junk. The other 63 probably just haven't thought about it long enough yet. I really hope that those 10 are UNC fans, and not Duke fans.

To even start a poll like this is kind of insulting. Asking this question is somewhat like asking if the holocaust really occurred. We should not validate such a question by asking it.

Actually, maybe we should ask this question every time someone tries to post. Kind of like the old SBBS system asked for codes... If you answer anything other than "Hell no!" then your post should be rejected. Someone contact James and make it happen.
    Last edited by Poincaré; 11-12-2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Added last sentence.

By the way, I would like to warn all of you. The last time such a question was discussed was probably during the Doh years. We had an embarrassment of riches back then and got arrogant. We felt like we were doing well enough to go easy on Carolina.

For that we were punished with a couple seasons in the desert and a pair of Carolina titles.

Never, EVER, let down your guard my friends. The Tar Heels are always lurking. They are like bed bugs. We must eradicate them completely or they WILL come back.

lives near a number of big white buildings

Roy can't fool all of the people all of the time...

My late father was a UNC grad and longtime fan. He was quite fond of Dean Smith.

When togehether, we'd watch basketball games on tv or go to football games, and it was natural for us to each want to see our respective alma maters edge out the other's but when Duke and UNC weren't playing we each mildy rooted for the other's team.

Then Roy Williams came to town. And within a few years, Dad substantially scaled back his general rooting for the Heels. He thought Williams was an embarrassment to the UNC program and to UNC generally because of his in-game antics; what Dad saw as a lack of respect for his own players; and his demeanor in interacting with the press as well as the nonsense he often spouted to them. I think he saw Ol' Roy as a combination crybaby and small-time con man. And in his eyes, that brought disgrace on UNC.

Dad was no fan of their AD either for multiple reasons.

Without malice toward UNC as an institution, today, with Dad gone, I do not root for the Tar Heels in any sports way to any extent whatsoever, gamewise or re: recruiting.

Ever root for the heels? Speaking their southern language, "HALE" NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Ever root for the heels? Speaking their southern language, "HALE" NO!
    Well, actually, in kerlina vernacular, that phrase has between seven and seventeen syllables.

My Answer

Let's go Lipscomb!