View Poll Results: Do you root for UNC against non-ACC opponents?

Voters
272. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you kidding? Never in a million years!

197 72.43%
  • Sometimes, but I REALLY have to hate the other team.

44 16.18%
  • Most of the time, but I reserve the right not to.

21 7.72%
  • Always. It's good for the ACC.

10 3.68%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do you root for UNC against non-ACC opponents?

In the past, I always rooted for UNC when they played non-conference opponents, particularly big games. My position was was I'd rather see a win for the ACC. But I find as the years go by that I have a harder and harder time doing so. Really, I was hoping for a 0-0 tie the other night when they played UK. So, what's your poison?

No hesitation here

I'd pull for the Russians, with Putin as coach, over UNC. Better Red than Pollution Blue

Teton Jack

Communists first

Hell no!! I second cniedringhaus.

Yes and no. I don't mind the Heels having a very good out-of-conference record, or even being undefeated out-of-conference; it's good for the league. But just in watching an individual game, I'll pull for Carolina's opponent and enjoy it very much if the Heels lose.

I do believe I'd root for UNC vs Connecticut, though.

Last time I checked it was Go to Hell, Carolina, not Go to Hell Connecticut. Argh!!

This is why I hate all this conference pride garbage (which happens to be reason number 45836745 on what's wrong with the BCS system in college football, but that's another story) .

It's reasonable to some extent, because you want to say Duke beat the best teams, and you want Duke's computer numbers to be as good as possible - and I'm right there with you rooting for Virginia to beat South Florida. But remember:

1. If Duke were to transfer to the Big East tomorrow, 99% of us would instantly switch our conference pride to the Big East, and we'd all be talking about how ridiculously tough the BE is this year.

2. Does it really matter how good the ACC is for us? It matters for Virginia Tech if they're on the bubble with an 8-8 ACC record and Syracuse is also on the bubble with an 8-8 Big East record. For Duke... maybe, maybe, maybe it's the difference between one seeding line. Maybe. Big freakin deal.

Again, I generally take pride in the ACC, but there's a line as to where it becomes unreasonable... and rooting for UNC crosses that line by a mile.

For a Duke fan, I really believe that there is only one answer. You never root for UNC. Never.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Never ever ever ever, and this extends to ALL conference teams except BC (my sister went there). Even if they're playing UConn... go Huskies. Their fans don't root for us, so why should we reciprocate?

Before instituting this policy I rooted for unc on three occasions. They won all three games.

Yeah, I root for them to get shut out every game.

As others have stated, I don't think there is any other reasonable answer.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Yeah, I root for them to get shut out every game.
    I once witnessed them being shut out for a half. I enjoyed it.

I'm in favor of UNC over highly ranked non-conference foes (unless UNC is itself ranked #1). I always cheer for an upset by mid-major against UNC. In conference, ABC. In the tournament, I give heavy support to all ACC schools until the Final Four. I just can't root for UNC to win a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    I'm in favor of UNC over highly ranked non-conference foes (unless UNC is itself ranked #1). I always cheer for an upset by mid-major against UNC. In conference, ABC. In the tournament, I give heavy support to all ACC schools until the Final Four. I just can't root for UNC to win a championship.
    I follow a similar set of cheering rules, except that I'd like Carolina to lose every tournament game they play. I don't pull for them at all in the tournament.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Big Fat NO. ABC is my standing rule, always has been always will be.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

What Do You Think?

I would never pull for Carolina under any circumstances. I do not like the fact that their players are getting injured and would never wish that a player would get hurt, but I do not ever want to see them win, even if playing UCONN, RUSSIA, or whoever else.

P.S. Do you think Carolina fans or any other team fans are just sitting at home hoping Duke wins tonight or any night? I don't think so.

I would root for Fleetwood Mac against the heels.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I would root for Fleetwood Mac against the heels.
    Okay...how about UNC vs Nicholas Sparks (and clones or some of his fictional characters)?

Imagine this:

Carolina's starting 5: Hanstravel, Dancin' Danny Green, "John" Wayne "The Duke" Ellington (calling Mr. Berman), Tywon "Break the drivin'" Lawson, and "Celine" Deon Thompson.

Opposing starting 5: Josef Stalin, Adolf Hitler, Osama Bin Ladin, Idi Amin, and, playing center, The Anti-Christ.

It's a tough call, but I'm still leaning against Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Imagine this:

Carolina's starting 5: Hanstravel, Dancin' Danny Green, "John" Wayne "The Duke" Ellington (calling Mr. Berman), Tywon "Break the drivin'" Lawson, and "Celine" Deon Thompson.

Opposing starting 5: Josef Stalin, Adolf Hitler, Osama Bin Ladin, Idi Amin, and, playing center, The Anti-Christ.

It's a tough call, but I'm still leaning against Carolina.
    I conjured up a similar starting five when this thread was 4 posts long but scrapped it because I thought the post was too puerile. Now I hope I can live up to the thread's standards.

My starting five was: Adolf "I invented the fastbreak" Hitler, Grigory "Never Say Die" Rasputin, Hannibal "the organ grinder" Lecter, Sean "I will possess your soul" Hannity and the Penguin, with Satan coaching, and Hannibal eating the organs of orphans on the sidelines during timeouts (with a nice Chianti, they are the wine and cheese crowd after all.) Got to go with Satan and the boys from down under on this one. And I have a degree from UNC, MSPH as I recall. I think I lost it during a move 3 years ago...but I don't really care.

This thread has taken on a disturbing Dante-esque quality.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Okay...how about UNC vs Nicholas Sparks (and clones or some of his fictional characters)?
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Nicholas Sparks lives in coastal NC somewhere, so I guess there's a decent chance that he's a dadgum tarheel. Just another reason that he should suffer gratuitous pain.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Nicholas Sparks lives in coastal NC somewhere, so I guess there's a decent chance that he's a dadgum tarheel. Just another reason that he should suffer gratuitous pain.
    Indeed, he lives in New Bern...Pepsi country. So that's another strike.