Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lawn Mower Recommendations?

My 10-12 year old Honda mower is worn out. The self propelled mechanism is busted. The repair shop estimates that it will cost $320 to fix it. I really don't want to put that much money in a mower this old even though the emgine still runs great. This is my second Honda mower since 1983, so I would like another but the cost is really high. Consumer Reports rates a Honda #1 which is similar in features to my old one but it costs about $729 ($800 list). They have a self propelled Toro model with similar features listed as the best buy at $350. One feature that sold me on Hondas 25 years ago is the blade brake clutch which allows one to stop the blade without stoping the engine. This feature is on most Hondas but only on the Toro electric start model.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just wait until next spring?
    Tom Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    One feature that sold me on Hondas 25 years ago

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just wait until next spring?
    I haven't cut my own grass since before you bought your first Honda. Actually, I was looking at a Honda to replace my Lawnboy when I decided it was best to let someone else to spend their time pushing that dang thing while I played golf.

But to your question, while the Honda will probably last longer than the Toro, at much less than half the price and barely more than the repair cost of your current mower, I suggest you buy the Toro. Even if it lasts only half as long as the Honda, you're still dollars ahead. And this time of year you'll probably be able to negotiate and even better deal on the mower, even if it is on sale. I suggest you offer them $250 (or less) and work your way up to $285, final offer. I bet you walk out with the mower. My late father-in-law used to buy Toro's. He loved the smooth, even cut they gave the grass. Better him cutting grass than me.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I've had a self-propelled Troy-Bilt for four years now and never had an issue. It's got a briggs and stratton engine. Pretty darn solid. The key to good performance and long life is simple maintenance. Keep your blade sharp, change the oil, clean the air filter, you're good to go. I have a hard time believing the Honda will actually cut the grass better than a mid-priced model that you maintain properly.

Toro, toro, toro. Just an opinion from someone who has mowed numerous lawns for many, many years.

I buy really cheap lawnmowers and then replace them sans guilt. Next time I will be getting a goat.

Nothing Runs Like a Deere

I have a John Deere walk behind with the features you say you want. It costs less than the Honda, runs great and cuts well.... as they say, "Nothing runs like a Deere." My mother is still using an earlier version of the same mower... 15-20 years.

In these tough economic times, isn't the best way to boost the local economy to let the kid down the block do it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Keep your blade sharp, change the oil, clean the air filter, you're good to go.
    Agree with the maintenance issue, and I'll add one more crucial point: NEVER store your mower away with gas in it. In other words, at the end of the season, let the mower run until it is bone dry. This will help avoid a lot of carburetor problems.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    In these tough economic times, isn't the best way to boost the local economy to let the kid down the block do it for you?
    Wouldn't that be the local yard maintenance company?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Agree with the maintenance issue, and I'll add one more crucial point: NEVER store your mower away with gas in it. In other words, at the end of the season, let the mower run until it is bone dry. This will help avoid a lot of carburetor problems.
    Back in my days of having lawn mowers in temperate climates I used Sta Bil to protect my mower from gas destabilization. It worked well for me. I never had a problem with my mowers. I further agree that clean oil, clean air filter and a sharp blade are also critical to mower life.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Actually I have a 17 year old healthy son who needs a kick in the butt to get him to mow for me.
    Tom Mac

Lawn Mower Recommendations?
    Move to a dwelling with no lawn.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Move to a dwelling with no lawn.
    Yea, I did that about 15 years ago.

go green!

I have a battery-powered mower. It takes a little getting used to, but I wouldn't have it any other way. No fuel, oil, pollution, smells, or pull-starts to worry about. Handles my 1/4-acre yard just fine.

ROBOMOWER!!!

End of discussion.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I buy really cheap lawnmowers and then replace them sans guilt. Next time I will be getting a goat.
    We had a friend who did exactly this. They somehow got goats that don't eat grass. Then the dang things developed health problems.

They still had to get a lawnmower.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I dunno. I love my Toro. LOVE it.

But then again, I have to replace the thing every 5 years. Just like every other lawnmower. But I tend to let the dealer do maintenance every winter, so maybe that's my problem.

Still, if you got 15 years out of your Honda, I say go with that.

I have a 15 year old Sears that goes fine - but it's simple - no self propelled or any other add-ons. I'll echo the essential need for good maintenance - empty the gas tank every winter (if you have winter), put in new oil every spring, air filter, spark plug, and sharpen / replace the blade every other year, and that's it.

Can't imagine what kind of lawn / terrain would kill a mower every 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    I have a 15 year old Sears that goes fine - but it's simple - no self propelled or any other add-ons. I'll echo the essential need for good maintenance - empty the gas tank every winter (if you have winter), put in new oil every spring, air filter, spark plug, and sharpen / replace the blade every other year, and that's it.

Can't imagine what kind of lawn / terrain would kill a mower every 5 years.
    Southern California is ripe with mower killing terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Wouldn't that be the local yard maintenance company?
    Joe the YardMan.