View Poll Results: How many times do you usually hit the snooze button before you get up in the morning

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll

16 37.21%

7 16.28%

7 16.28%
  • 3+

13 30.23%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BluDevilGal View Post
    As for rsvman's comments, I don't hit the snooze because I want to but because I'm incapable of waking up. Hitting the snooze is definitely counterproductive. But I don't set the alarm earlier to accomodate my snooze time, I set it when I really need to get up, yet no matter how hard I try, I just don't reach full consciousness the first time the alarm goes off.

Mornings just don't agree with me.
    You might want to try setting your alarm to coincide with your natural sleep cycles. It's much easier to awaken when you're in light sleep than deep. A typical sleep cycle lasts about 90 minutes or so. If you set your alarm for about 7.5 hours after you'll actually be asleep (so about 8 hours or so after you hit the sack), you might find it much easier to get up when the alarm rings, because (at least in theory) you'll be in stage 1 sleep rather than stage 3 or 4 when it goes off.

It's just an idea. It works for some people.

4-5 times

If I need to get up earlier, I set my alarm earlier and still hit the snooze. Unless it's the weekend. Then I wake up early when I don't want to. Drives me nuts.

When I was in college, I would set my alarm to a turbo-Christian station that always had a guy preaching fire and brimstone in the morning. If that's not incentive to get up and shut off the alarm for good, I don't know what would be.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    I hit it 4 times. The alarm goes off at 6:20, and I hit the snooze for an additional 20 minutes of snooze time.

I am NOT a morning person, so it takes some time for me to wake up.
    Back in the day, I loved to hit it. I'd hit it as often as possible; fall asleep; wake up and hit it again. Hitting it in the morning is awesome.

Alas, I stopped using my alarm clock years ago.

-EarlJam

I don't even remember hitting snooze most mornings. I leave my alarm set at the same time as I have to get up at 6am one morning and can sleep to 7am the others. I don't even realize I have hit snooze on the 7am mornings.

I have no problem waking up early without an alarm when I'm on vacation.

The best alarm I had was in college - it was so obnoxious, I woke up when it clicked to turn on and would shut it off before Oscar the Grouch got his first word out. Unfortunately, Oscar developed laryngitis one summer in storage and didn't talk again.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Back in the day, I loved to hit it. I'd hit it as often as possible; fall asleep; wake up and hit it again. Hitting it in the morning is awesome.

Alas, I stopped using my alarm clock years ago.

-EarlJam
    so it is true that if you don't use it, you lose it?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I get some crazy dreams happening between the 1st and third, which I really love.
    Technically, those aren't dreams. They're "hypnogogic hallucinations." They happen to people when they are just beginning to fall asleep. By contrast, dreams occur after deep sleep has been entered. Having those "dreams" proves that you're getting no useful sleep after the alarm sounds the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Technically, those aren't dreams. They're "hypnogogic hallucinations." They happen to people when they are just beginning to fall asleep. By contrast, dreams occur after deep sleep has been entered. Having those "dreams" proves that you're getting no useful sleep after the alarm sounds the first time.
    I haven't had any dreams or "hypnogogic hallucinations" that I can remember upon waking in more time than I can remember. Is that unusual? What can I do to remember the dreams when I wake up? I assume that I dream and just can't remember them but is it possible to not dream at all?

Good to know! I had one memorable "hallucination" that involved a friend from high school. We were hanging out, then he began talking to me about something involving art in vending machines that had previously sold cigarette packages.

Well, I was waking up with the Durham NPR station on in the background, and my friend was, unbeknownst to me, a reporter at the Wake Forest University radio station and was doing a local interest story - the art in vending machines was true. I always thought it was weird that his voice was so distinctive that it could even translate through my sleep (or lack thereof) and manifest as a vision in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Good to know! I had one memorable "hallucination" that involved a friend from high school. We were hanging out, then he began talking to me about something involving art in vending machines that had previously sold cigarette packages.

Well, I was waking up with the Durham NPR station on in the background, and my friend was, unbeknownst to me, a reporter at the Wake Forest University radio station and was doing a local interest story - the art in vending machines was true. I always thought it was weird that his voice was so distinctive that it could even translate through my sleep (or lack thereof) and manifest as a vision in my head.
    The art/cigarette machines are so cool! There is one near me in Oceanside. You can read more about the machines and where to find one close to you here.

Art-o-mat is so cool! I know someone who sells stuff through it. Haven't ever seen one in person, though.

I hit it, but I usually get up before it sounds again, however I leave it going for my wife who usually hits it two more times before she ends up getting up.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I haven't had any dreams or "hypnogogic hallucinations" that I can remember upon waking in more time than I can remember. Is that unusual? What can I do to remember the dreams when I wake up? I assume that I dream and just can't remember them but is it possible to not dream at all?
    It's not possible to not dream at all. Everybody dreams. I don't think anybody knows why some people seem to remember their dreams almost every day and others virtually never do.

I think if you you thought about remembering your dreams (BEFORE you go to sleep at night) and continue making this conscious effort on a daily basis, you might be able to remember more of your dreams.

It's not possible to not dream at all. Everybody dreams. I don't think anybody knows why some people seem to remember their dreams almost every day and others virtually never do.

I think if you you thought about remembering your dreams (BEFORE you go to sleep at night) and continue making this conscious effort on a daily basis, you might be able to remember more of your dreams.
    Thanks - I'll try that and report back. Do I pay you for a house call?