Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lance Thomas' Improvement

I felt like this deserved its own thread. A lot of people have beat up on Lance for the last two years, but thorugh Duke's first three games, I'm really impressed. He's playing with confidence and poise, and other than his FT shooting, he has really improved in all aspects of the game.

We knew he was a versatile defender, and he has mantained that quality. (I'd like to see him grab a few more boards, but we'd have to get a few stops for that to happen.) But he looks like a totally different player on the offensive end. It's not that he's nailing jumpers or making moves for himself. Instead, he's finally grasping the nuances of the game and learning how to play off the ball. And that's putting him in much better positions to score or grab offensive rebounds.

His spacing is better on screens or playing off a teammate's drive. His instincts are better on when to move to a certain spot. His hands seem better -- he's not fumbling passes. And he's finishing very well, both off passes underneath or rebounds.

This is sort of what Greybeard talks about in a bit of circuitous way (sorry, big guy -- love ya!). There are two ways to get scoring from your bigs. Everyone assumes that "real" post scoring involves sticking a guy on the block, dumping the ball into him, and letting him make a move. But Duke doesn't have guys like that. Duke does have players who can draw defenders and who can pass off the dribble. So, the key is to get the ball to our bigs while they are on the move. In essence, their "post move" is made without the ball. Sometimes it's just sealing off a defender for a lob pass. Sometimes it's a baseline cut for a dish from a driving guard. It's still another way to get points. It still involves a big man scoring. Thomas has really improved in this area -- as well as many others.

I really enjoyed seeing Lance play today, I thought he did a terrific job. He was key in closing the gap with RI down the stretch, both in scoring and defense.

I agree Jumbo. Lance was the moving man. He set him self up to receive the ball.

I completely agree with this. In my opinion, his improvement has been the most obvious. Plus, his energy has been absolutely wonderful!

Yes! I have been a big critic of LT in the past, but he has made me a believer. Go Lance! I finally understand why he was recruited -- plus, he has worked hard to improve himself. I expect continued impact.

And he has stopped the stupid fouls!

Thought about starting a thread along the lines of this one after the GA State game, but decided to give things one more game with the fear that I might be speaking to soon. Lance is undoubtedly our X-factor. If he plays well, we're going to be really, really good come March. He's improved every facet of his game, and the extra muscle he's put on is probably the reason. Go Lance!

Wink

If we could just get him to make those freebies.

9. I want to add my kudos to Lance, who has really begun to show why he was a 5 star prospect out of HS. No one has questioned his effort or desire (he's probably my favorite player to watch since Dockery) and seeing that pay off is really gratifying. I think he'll be at his best playing beside a real post player so he can use his speed to full effect, but so far he looks like our best option in the post. For a guy that many had written off as fated to be buried on the bench, I'm so excited and proud of what he's shown so far.

Lance

How about those two screens he set in the backcourt? Wow! Did you notice how it really paid off in the mismatch down court?

I also had been thinking the same way as Jumbo about what Greybeard has stated in the past. Lance appears to have learned much more about where to be and what to do without the ball. I have not been so much an LT fan in the past due to the tendency for him to appear to often "vanish" (is that like an oxymoron?) while on the court. But K has stuck with him for some reason, and maybe now we know why.

K has said in the past that LT is a very good defender. Now, it seems that he may have become better, and added some offensive punch to go along with it. Whatever got him to this stage, I just hope it has a lasting effect. Go Lance!

ricks

I really criticized Lance before this year, but I've said since the first game I saw that he's clearly much improved, and I'm extremely excited about it. He always played hard, and now he's also playing smart! I think putting some weight on really helped him, and I think he's going to be key to our success this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    How about those two screens he set in the backcourt? Wow! Did you notice how it really paid off in the mismatch down court?
    ricks
    I only remember one screen, but he flattened that guy! It was awesome.

Lance has played very well so far this season, he's attacking the rim well, playing great defense and throwing down some nasty dunks. Probably one of the most improved players on the team. Prior to the season I was hoping Lance wouldn't play many minutes at center but I'm changing my mind now, I think he's our best option and could possibly play a role similar to Mbah a Moute did for UCLA. He needs to hit the boards a little better and make those free throws though.

I have particular feelings for Lance's class. The four of them came in and went through some really dark and difficult times. They struggled and they grew. Lance makes me feel proud to be a fan.

Lance's game

The game appears to have slowed down for Lance. He was always out of synch with everything around hi- going too fast or disappearing at key moments. Now he is much more patient and seems to see the floor much better. He also is more confident with his body. He also looks to have improved his vertical leap- He seems much more explosive to the basket. Lance is a major surprise so far. He of course needs to work on his throws. He is one guy who doesn't change gears very easily. Unfortunately, G's play is also a surprise in the other direction- so there may be no net gain between the two. But I am very much hoping that G is a slow starter.

I'll man-up and say I was down on LT. He always seemed to be a great deal of wasted motion.

We've been spoiled by having players like Boozer and Williams around. Those so-called easy baskets that they always seemed to convert were taken for granted and then when you don't have a player capable of making that shot it becomes very noticable.

Lance is making his stickbacks and as he continues to gain confidence I have a feeling we will see a bit more in the way of offensive moves.

Again, a 3 headed 5 isn't a bad thing.

One of the unnoticed keys to the game yesterday - switching Lance onto Delroy James in the second half. James had been busting Kyle up on the defensive end at about the 16 minute mark when he had 17 points. He finished the game with exactly one more basket and two free throws.

On the other side of things, it's dangerous to have Lance in a really close game down the stretch if he doesn't improve from the FT line.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    On the other side of things, it's dangerous to have Lance in a really close game down the stretch if he doesn't improve from the FT line.
    All depends on what you consider danger. If Lance is shooting free throws at the end of a game then there's a high probablity that he just made a VERY good play.

I'm a little more reserved

I too am thrilled with the progress he's made, but at the same time the quality of our opponents has been pretty low and I'm not quite ready to assume his level of play will continue once we get into the meat of the season. Plenty of times in the past we've had guys tear it up against the scrubs but then falter when going against guys of more comparable size and strength. Not trying to be a downer here, I really do hope he can continue his improvement, but I guess I'm in more of a wait-and-see mode with him.

A little sidenote.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Yes! I have been a big critic of LT in the past, but he has made me a believer. Go Lance! I finally understand why he was recruited -- plus, he has worked hard to improve himself. I expect continued impact.
    mgtr - as a former MG owner (it was a 1980 MGB), seeing the picture of your car, its name as your posting name and the word "starter" under it brings up old memories! Lucas!!! Fun cars, though.

Oh, and I've been thrilled by Lance and his improvement so far this season.

said it before and i'll say it again

Lance gets into trouble when he starts shot-faking. He's started to be more assertive and go straight up, and it's been working for him. The only flash of "old" Lance was once last night when he was right under the basket and started the fakes. Lost the ball.

Hope he continues his rise!