Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek XI

Star Trek XI

I think it is #11.

JJ Abrams new film. I am really psyched though the trailer was just so-so, I thought.

You can watch a bootleg version of the trailer here.

--Jason "I think the HD version of the trailer will be released next week" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think it is #11.

JJ Abrams new film. I am really psyched though the trailer was just so-so, I thought.

You can watch a bootleg version of the trailer here.

--Jason "I think the HD version of the trailer will be released next week" Evans
    There are higher quality versions of the same floating around on some sites that I'm too embarrassed to link (wwtdd.com for one). I'm generally not a fan of most of JJ Abrams' work, and I'm not a Star Trek fan, but I kinda liked the trailer.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Since I reside way high on the geek scale, I'm super psyched for this. I was bummed when they moved it from the usual ST movie November slot, but I can wait. I have no problems with Abrams giving it a shot, I'll be interested to see how he handles it. I can't really judge the casting until I've seen them in a movie's worth of action, but they all seem like fair choices. The two I'm intrigued by are Simon Pegg as Scotty and Karl Urban as McCoy, mostly because they are the two I'm more familiar with, but would have not thought of either for their roles, not that I disagree with their selections.

Looking forward to one day having another Star Trek movie that is a good movie, not just a good ST movie. There haven't been many, and certainly none recently.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Since I reside way high on the geek scale, I'm super psyched for this. I was bummed when they moved it from the usual ST movie November slot, but I can wait. I have no problems with Abrams giving it a shot, I'll be interested to see how he handles it. I can't really judge the casting until I've seen them in a movie's worth of action, but they all seem like fair choices. The two I'm intrigued by are Simon Pegg as Scotty and Karl Urban as McCoy, mostly because they are the two I'm more familiar with, but would have not thought of either for their roles, not that I disagree with their selections.

Looking forward to one day having another Star Trek movie that is a good movie, not just a good ST movie. There haven't been many, and certainly none recently.
    As a fellow ST fan I'll agree. First Contact was the last ST movie that was just plain a good movie. It's a shame Nemesis didn't live up to the "Even Trek movies are good" plan. I'm hopeful that this one makes up for it. I love all things ST and have enjoyed much of JJ Abrams work, so I'm hopeful. It's going to be very interesting since he's certainly re-imagining the ST universe. There has been a strict consistency throughout everything Trek (story, characters, look, feel and design), and it looks like things are changing up. It's either going to be great or a terrible disappointment. I don't see the chance of a middleground.

SPOILERS:
    Take for example the new Enterprise. They've redesigned the original iconic ship (clearly they had to since the 60's design wouldn't totally stand up). But it's interesting to see the response of the fanboys.

New (Old) Enterprise

I'm not a ST fan, but after seeing the trailer, I think I'd like to see this movie in the theater vs. DVD.

I'm a ST fan and am quite excited for this...partly just because i love SciFi, but also because i think it will be quite good. I thought the trailer was ok, but also its a JJ Abrams film and i think most things that he has done recently (Lost and Fringe just to name a few) are pretty great.

saw it as a preview for the bond film.

can not wait.

Quote Originally Posted by bigj4194 View Post
    I'm a ST fan and am quite excited for this...partly just because i love SciFi, but also because i think it will be quite good. I thought the trailer was ok, but also its a JJ Abrams film and i think most things that he has done recently (Lost and Fringe just to name a few) are pretty great.
    Have you seen Mission Impossible III? I think JJ did a really nice job with it. It did not do as well at the boxoffice as had been hoped because it came out just as Tom Cruise was at the height of his insanity, couch hopping with Oprah and generally thrusting Scientology in the world's face. There was a pretty fair amount of Tom Cruise backlash then and I think it had a real impact.

Anyway, my point is that JJ showed in that film that he is a very strong film director, IMO. I would be eager for this flick simply because of him but adding in the fact that it is a reboot of perhaps the greatest Sci-Fi franchise ever makes it a real must-see!

--Jason "gotta look now to see if the trailer is legally on line somewhere" Evans

Ha! The http://www.startrekmovie.com/ website has a countdown clock to the new trailer. It will be up in 3 hours and 45 minutes.

--Jason "pretty funny" Evans

Have you seen Mission Impossible III?
    It's one of the few movies that I have downloaded a while ago and never watched...i'll have to go back and watch it. SO EXCITED FOR STXI

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I'm trying not to get too amped.

Not everything that JJ Abrams touches turns to gold, but I do think he's cognizant of the dangers of throwing away the Trek "canon" while being aware of the dangers of letting it set his course. It looks like Paramount has cut loose the stale brain trust headed by Rick Berman that slowly drained Trek of its ability to entertain.

The coolest thing to me is Zachary Quinto as Spock. He even looks like Nimoy, and one thing I'm hoping is that they might get into is the dark, threatening aspect of Spock, which Quinto would capture well.

I agree with Jason's sentiment that MI3 was a good action film that probably got torpedoed by Cruise's elevation to whatever Scientology level allows him to control reality but still look like a flaming idiot. Abrams really does know how to make an action flick.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    But I do think he's cognizant of the dangers of throwing away the Trek "canon" while being aware of the dangers of letting it set his course.
    Don't get too optimistic on that. Even though Abrams is at the helm on this one, I read in an article he was never too much of a fan of Star Trek himself. Here is an excerpt from this article.

"Abrams saw the first Star Trek film in 1979 with his father, veteran TV-movie producer Gerald Abrams, at a theater on the Paramount lot. But he feels no warm-fuzzy nostalgia about it. In fact, Abrams can sum up his regard for Trek in two words: Galaxy Quest, the 1999 hit starring Tim Allen that satirized Trek with painful precision. ''It's so ridiculous, so accurate, so sophisticated, it spoils the Star Trek universe,'' he says.
    Plus, at heart, Abrams is still more of a Star Wars guy. ''All my smart friends liked Star Trek,'' he says. ''I preferred a more visceral experience.''
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Don't get too optimistic on that. Even though Abrams is at the helm on this one, I read in an article he was never too much of a fan of Star Trek himself. Here is an excerpt from this article.

"Abrams saw the first Star Trek film in 1979 with his father, veteran TV-movie producer Gerald Abrams, at a theater on the Paramount lot. But he feels no warm-fuzzy nostalgia about it. In fact, Abrams can sum up his regard for Trek in two words: Galaxy Quest, the 1999 hit starring Tim Allen that satirized Trek with painful precision. ''It's so ridiculous, so accurate, so sophisticated, it spoils the Star Trek universe,'' he says.
    Plus, at heart, Abrams is still more of a Star Wars guy. ''All my smart friends liked Star Trek,'' he says. ''I preferred a more visceral experience.''
    Yeah, I read that article when it came out and that graf you cited concerned me when I read it. (And I LOVED Galaxy Quest, BTW.) The history of directors who upfront say they "don't have much respect for the Star Trek universe, but" is not great.

One of the funny ironies of the Trek movies, however, is that Trek detracting-directors haven't done much worse than the fanboys, who make a different, but no less irritating, set of errors.

It's the ones that walk BETWEEN those extremes that do the best.

I don't know if you read the whole article, but it also mentions Abrams has a couple of hardcore Trekkers working in significant positions on his crew (last graf on the linked page).

Abrams has a clear and demonstrated understanding of mythology/canon and the need for consistency, and that gives me hope... but yes, the graf you cited puts the "cautiously" into "cautiously optimistic."

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    (And I LOVED Galaxy Quest, BTW.)
    That movie is in my list of favorites, I laugh every time I watch it.

"I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm just "Crewman Number Six." I'm expendable. I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is. I've gotta get outta here."

That movie is in my list of favorites, I laugh every time I watch it.

"I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm just "Crewman Number Six." I'm expendable. I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is. I've gotta get outta here."
    Maybe you're the plucky comic relief?

Galaxy Quest is one of the few movies I TiVo every time I notice it's coming up. Mr. Monk is fantastic.

Grignak! Grignak! Grignak! Grignak!

Who gives a !#%^!^ about canon? I want a good movie. Period. End of story. There need be no other criteria.

Heck, wanna know what would be cool? I was thinking earlier today that one of the perils of making a prequel like this is that no amount of danger that Kirk, Spock, Sulu, or anyone else gets in can be real peril because we know their eventual fates. Well, I think it would be friggin' awesome if JJ and Co. killed off one of the established characters. Maybe they could off Checkov about 2/3rds of the way through the film. Just to tell everyone that they mean business and this is not your same old Star Trek.

--Jason "I'd be fine with that, though I am sure purists would go insane" Evans

Who gives a !#%^!^ about canon? I want a good movie. Period. End of story. There need be no other criteria.

Heck, wanna know what would be cool? I was thinking earlier today that one of the perils of making a prequel like this is that no amount of danger that Kirk, Spock, Sulu, or anyone else gets in can be real peril because we know their eventual fates. Well, I think it would be friggin' awesome if JJ and Co. killed off one of the established characters. Maybe they could off Checkov about 2/3rds of the way through the film. Just to tell everyone that they mean business and this is not your same old Star Trek.

They could kill off Spock, but, well, been there, done that.

-jk

I'm not too amped on the whole new actors for old characters thing. If anything, I think a new Trek movie should be an opportunity to introduce a completely new cast of characters. I'd also like to see one final hurrah for the original or Next Gen crew.

Since I'm the only one who mentioned canon, I think this is a shot at me. It's a matter of degree. Obviously, if you !#%^!^ with the canon too much, it's not Star Trek anymore. Also, you lose a significant fraction of your audience. The Trekkers might not be the "make or break" box office demo, but you can be !#%^!^ sure Paramount wants them for the DVD sales.

That being said, I find your idea intriguing-- something like the new Battlestar Galactica, maybe. Start with the original characters and general premise, and put new spin on things. I don't think that's where they're going, but I like the idea.