Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I looked through this thread quickly and may have missed it, but did anyone link the Bill Simmons column that talks about the D'Antoni system and its effect on Chris Duhon (it mostly talks about Nash, but Duhon comes up a few times)?

--Jason "Lebron playing for D'Antoni-- 40 ppg, 15 apg, 15 rpg-- wow!" Evans
    Simmons doesn't understand that D'Antoni's system only increases a player's raw numbers (due to a higher # of possessions), but the player's efficiency doesn't change much. Nash never was an MVP caliber player.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFan View Post
    Simmons doesn't understand that D'Antoni's system only increases a player's raw numbers (due to a higher # of possessions), but the player's efficiency doesn't change much. Nash never was an MVP caliber player.
    He also is far too harsh on D'Antoni's time with the Suns, too, in my opinion. Two years ago, an unlikely suspension may very easily have cost the Suns a finals appearance (I strongly belief this). One season out of those four was played without Amare and they still made it deep into the postseason. Yes, I think it's a legitimate argument that the Suns' style made it harder for the team to adjust to a change of pace or even the loss of important players (as in 2007), but, in my opinion it's not a definitive truth about his system. I actually do agree that Nash probably should not have won two MVP's, but D'Antoni's system is not all smoke and mirrors. His Suns teams were a few lucky bounces away from being one of the most entertaining teams in years to win a title, or at least get a shot at winning a title in the finals. Plus, there's something to be said to finding the players to run your system and exploiting your team's strengths. I mean, would the Suns have had a better chance at winning the title if they had played a slow pace with "ace" defenders like Nash and Amare trying to grind it out?

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFan View Post
    Good point, but that doesn't necessarily contradict Simmons on his point that how a player is perceived depends on his situation, especially in basketball, and that D'Antoni makes his players look better than they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    Good point, but that doesn't necessarily contradict Simmons on his point that how a player is perceived depends on his situation, especially in basketball, and that D'Antoni makes his players look better than they really are.
    The fact that a certain coach makes a player better doesn't really take away from what the player does. It's hard to judge how good an individual basketball player is, sometimes, because of all the factors outside of the player's control which come into play. Nash definitely benefitted from D'Antoni's system...but he did excel in the system and was the sparkplug that drove a very impressive Suns team. If Duhon can excel in D'Antoni's system, good for him, and I hope babbling media types like Simmons (very funny writer, but he spews more than he analyses, IMHO) don't take too much credit away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    He also is far too harsh on D'Antoni's time with the Suns, too, in my opinion. Two years ago, an unlikely suspension may very easily have cost the Suns a finals appearance (I strongly belief this). One season out of those four was played without Amare and they still made it deep into the postseason. Yes, I think it's a legitimate argument that the Suns' style made it harder for the team to adjust to a change of pace or even the loss of important players (as in 2007), but, in my opinion it's not a definitive truth about his system. I actually do agree that Nash probably should not have won two MVP's, but D'Antoni's system is not all smoke and mirrors. His Suns teams were a few lucky bounces away from being one of the most entertaining teams in years to win a title, or at least get a shot at winning a title in the finals. Plus, there's something to be said to finding the players to run your system and exploiting your team's strengths. I mean, would the Suns have had a better chance at winning the title if they had played a slow pace with "ace" defenders like Nash and Amare trying to grind it out?

I absolutely agree with all of this. People like to look at the D' Antoni Suns' postseason performances as proof that you can't win running the ball, when only a little bit of analysis will show that it's nothing of the sort.

Knicks vs the Mavs, at the end of the 1st half, Chris has 22 pts. 9-9 from the floor so far. Hitting 3s, runners, layups. I believe the announcers said his season high was 26. I've probably jinxed him by posting this. But he's putting on quite a show. Fox Sports Southwest.

Quote Originally Posted by micah75 View Post
    Knicks vs the Mavs, at the end of the 1st half, Chris has 22 pts. 9-9 from the floor so far. Hitting 3s, runners, layups. I believe the announcers said his season high was 26. I've probably jinxed him by posting this. But he's putting on quite a show. Fox Sports Southwest.
    Yup, you jinxed him. He ended up with 24 pts and made one of his next 5 shots. That being said, 24 pts on 10-14 shooting with 7 assists is a very solid game! I'd love to see a little more consistency out of Duhon. It seems like one night he is on fire and the next he really struggle with his shooting.

He missed what would have been a go ahead lay-up with less then a minute left...it wasn't an easy shot but it was a lay-up...I felt bad for him...and myself, since I am a Knick fan. BUT, flipping the script a tad, he is a legit starting point guard in the NBA taking crunch time money shots. He's doing it for a team in the bottom 3rd of the NBA...but still. He has really gotten the most out of himself. I love that he is running the pro team I root for.

The Knicks are surging, winning 5 of their last 6 including wins over Phoenix and Houston (and a win against CP3 and the hornets not too along ago, but not part of the current streak...). Its still way early, but they are now tied with Milwaukee for the 8th playoff spot in the east.

After not being much of a scorer in the past, including his time in college, Duhon has scored in double figures each of the last 6 games and his overall numbers during the streak are quite impressive:

16.5 pts
    7.3 asts
    4.0 rebs
    1.2 stls
    1.5 tos
    (A/TO ratio: 4.9)

And is shooting 48.5% from the floor and 44.8% from 3.

His season numbers now stand at:

12.7 pts
    8.0 asts
    3.8 rebs
    1.1 stls
    2.8 tos
    (A/TO ratio: 2.8)
    43% FG
    41.5% 3FG
    87% FT

Keep it up C-Du!

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    The Knicks are surging, winning 5 of their last 6 including wins over Phoenix and Houston (and a win against CP3 and the hornets not too along ago, but not part of the current streak...). Its still way early, but they are now tied with Milwaukee for the 8th playoff spot in the east.

After not being much of a scorer in the past, including his time in college, Duhon has scored in double figures each of the last 6 games and his overall numbers during the streak are quite impressive:

16.5 pts
    7.3 asts
    4.0 rebs
    1.2 stls
    1.5 tos
    (A/TO ratio: 4.9)

And is shooting 48.5% from the floor and 44.8% from 3.

His season numbers now stand at:

12.7 pts
    8.0 asts
    3.8 rebs
    1.1 stls
    2.8 tos
    (A/TO ratio: 2.8)
    43% FG
    41.5% 3FG
    87% FT

Keep it up C-Du!
    Duhon is really impressing me. Despite my username, I was convinced that Duhon was a serviceable backup capable of starting on a team that just needed defense and leadership from the point guard and nothing else (like a Lakers team with Kobe for example). But his play in New York has been amazing.

He's shooting well enough, and that was really the only drawback for him. He's always been a great defender and excellent at setting up others (great A/TO ratio), but the scoring/shooting ability (or lack thereof) was his limitation. It doesn't seem to be limiting him now, and that's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    He's shooting well enough, and that was really the only drawback for him. He's always been a great defender and excellent at setting up others (great A/TO ratio), but the scoring/shooting ability (or lack thereof) was his limitation. It doesn't seem to be limiting him now, and that's impressive.
    I shake my head any time I hear people talking about Duhon's lack of shooting ability. Not that it isn't a legitimate observation, because it is, it's just that coming out of high school shooting was supposed to be his one of his biggest strengths. He has beautiful form on his shot but somewhere along the way he lost his touch. It seems to me that it has to be mainly a psychological thing which means that it should correct itself if he can has a long enough period of success.

Here's to his shooting continuing to improve and him going from an adequate nba pg to a great nba pg!

He shot well enough against USC in 01.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Duhon is really impressing me. Despite my username, I was convinced that Duhon was a serviceable backup capable of starting on a team that just needed defense and leadership from the point guard and nothing else (like a Lakers team with Kobe for example). But his play in New York has been amazing.

I can happily say that I always thought Duhon was capable of more than he did with the Bulls (largely because in my opinion the Bulls didn't give him many chances). I also always said years ago that the Cavs should pick them up. Not sure how things are now, but I believe they used to lack a good point guard. I can see Duhon working very well with Lebron...2010 anybody? This also works well because I don't think Duhon will ever command a large contract despite being a good player, making room for a player with a large contract. We shall see.