Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    speaking of Warriors, what happened to DeMarcus? He started the first few games now isn't on the active roster of games.

Quote Originally Posted by bludvlman View Post
    speaking of Warriors, what happened to DeMarcus? He started the first few games now isn't on the active roster of games.
    He was sent to the D-league. Don Nelson would have used him tonight...

Got sent to the D league around Nov 14. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=32695

Markie got sent down to the D-League. He just didn't have enough offensively for Nelson's system. The minutes were there (none of the PGs/pseudo-PGs are doing very well on the Warriors this season), but Markie is still a bit too raw at this point.

I saw the Knicks game and Duhon did a heck of a job...but with that said, the Warriors were pretty depleted without Stephen Jackson and tired after five games in seven days. Their defense, which could charitably classified as indifferent on most nights, was unbelievably bad against the Knicks...they looked like they had never seen a pick and roll in their lives, and Duhon killed them time after time (with David Lee the beneficiary most often -- a nice player, but someone who won't be mistaken for Amare Stoudamire or Dwight Howard).

I'm still happy for Duhon and he's a superb fit for D'Antoni's system. As a Knicks fan, there isn't necessarily a lot to cheer for in the short term as the team is trying to clear cap space for 2010, but Chris is really one of the bright spots, and the Knick announcers on the MSG broadcasts consistently gush over his effort on both ends of the floor.

Good for Chris. I was watching the highlights and noticed that Chris was passing to David Lee all night. It was nice, then, that when Lee stole the ball out top and had Chris open in front of everyone, Lee passed to himself for a dunk. Gotta love the Association!

This brings something interesting to mind. Is Duhon a star yet? He's been on the stage for a while but when will his jersey start flying off the racks?

If he achieves stardom - will the Dukies don't perform well in the NBA 'whisper' be officially dead? And with that, will we see a rash of more highly drafted players?

Supa - in my opinion, this slight against Devils in the NBA probably won't go away until a Duke-led NBA team wins a title. So root hard for either Utah or the Sixers I guess. (I'm willing to bet if Battier helped the Rockets win a championship few would admit how integral he was).

Great regular season performances, either on a few nights or throughout the year, won't make this thing go away.

Again, just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Supa - in my opinion, this slight against Devils in the NBA probably won't go away until a Duke-led NBA team wins a title. So root hard for either Utah or the Sixers I guess. (I'm willing to bet if Battier helped the Rockets win a championship few would admit how integral he was).

Great regular season performances, either on a few nights or throughout the year, won't make this thing go away.

Again, just my opinion.
    You make a valid point there. A NBA line-up with all Duke players? A few creative trades could make that happen. They would be the most hated team in the NBA. I think the Pistions should pull the trigger on this.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    This brings something interesting to mind. Is Duhon a star yet? He's been on the stage for a while but when will his jersey start flying off the racks?

If he achieves stardom - will the Dukies don't perform well in the NBA 'whisper' be officially dead? And with that, will we see a rash of more highly drafted players?
    He's been on what stage for a while? The star stage? In Chicago, he was a part-time starter who never averaged more than 8.7 ppg or 5.0 apg. He is a solid player who joined a mediocre team with the perfect coach and system to maximize his talent. I'm thrilled for Chris, but he's not close to being a "star."

The "Dukies/NBA" argument has been dead in the water for years. Guys like Hill, Brand, Boozer, Maggette, Dunleavy, Battier, Deng, etc. have made it a ridiculous notion. You can compare Duke's NBA track record favorably against any other school. I think I wrote a long post about this last spring. And when people bring up guys like Redick or Shelden who were college stars whose games haven't translated to the NBA, you can match them with a handful of similar examples from any other rival.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    He's been on what stage for a while? The star stage? In Chicago, he was a part-time starter who never averaged more than 8.7 ppg or 5.0 apg. He is a solid player who joined a mediocre team with the perfect coach and system to maximize his talent. I'm thrilled for Chris, but he's not close to being a "star."

The "Dukies/NBA" argument has been dead in the water for years. Guys like Hill, Brand, Boozer, Maggette, Dunleavy, Battier, Deng, etc. have made it a ridiculous notion. You can compare Duke's NBA track record favorably against any other school. I think I wrote a long post about this last spring. And when people bring up guys like Redick or Shelden who were college stars whose games haven't translated to the NBA, you can match them with a handful of similar examples from any other rival.
    There was an article on the main page a few months back that Duke's NBA players had the highest combined salary of any school (though that was aided by the fact that we had the most players in the league as well, 14 I think). Our per person salary was still fairly high, though not #1, if my memory serves me. I'll dig around and look for the article.

Found it!
    Last edited by Acymetric; 11-30-2008 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Found it!

This is all known. That's one reason why I said 'whisper'.

However, when it comes to perception - just ask a Tar Heel how our pros do and then you'll get a dose of reality.

Duhon has seen his moments - i.e. his stage. Taking that young Bulls team to the playoffs is one of his signature moments and he's had some monster games. He's far from an unknown player.

And oh yeah - he's the starting point guard for the New York Knicks. I think that just might get you a few perks.

This is all known. That's one reason why I said 'whisper'.

However, when it comes to perception - just ask a Tar Heel how our pros do and then you'll get a dose of reality.
    No, I'd get a dose of "perception." We know the reality -- and so do NBA talent evaluators. That's all that matters.

Duhon has seen his moments - i.e. his stage. Taking that young Bulls team to the playoffs is one of his signature moments and he's had some monster games. He's far from an unknown player.

And oh yeah - he's the starting point guard for the New York Knicks. I think that just might get you a few perks.
    Who said he's an unknown player. He is what he is -- a solid point guard in an excellent situation. Why make a bigger deal out of it than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Who said he's an unknown player. He is what he is -- a solid point guard in an excellent situation. Why make a bigger deal out of it than that?
    Because it's the New York Knicks! The NBA's most valuable franchise.

Wink What Tarheels Fans?

One advantage of living way outside NC (Rocky Mountains) is that I don't have to ask Tarheel fans anything because I seldom run into one. Moreover, the I do see are really nice and we have a lot in common.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    One advantage of living way outside NC (Rocky Mountains) is that I don't have to ask Tarheel fans anything because I seldom run into one. Moreover, the I do see are really nice and we have a lot in common.

sagegrouse
    Well one disadvantage of being from Durham, NC is the fact that I argue some of the same things with my friends at least once a year - especially the Tarheel fans with whom I grew up with. There are just some things we'll never see eye to eye on. Perception or Reality (try arguing who's a better coach, Dean or K, and find out how long that can take).

The back and forth can be fun sometimes b/c I thank God for Tarheel Alums like Joe Forte and King Rice but you gotta know that there are some serious non-believers out there.

You want reality? Let me take you to my barbershop. It can be madness but there's always a little truth thrown in.

Smile Duhon-Lee Starting Act II

Through one Q against Portland, Chris has 5 assists and David Lee has 11 points.

sagegrouse

Because it's the New York Knicks! The NBA's most valuable franchise.
    Is this true? I would have thought LA was more valuable. They've got plenty of history, and have been relevent in the past decade.

Chris finished with 23 points (7-14 from the field), 13 assists, 5 boards and 1 TO in a loss to the Blazers. Pretty darn solid.

Duhon had a really nice game against Portland last night, but the Knicks ran out of gas and Duhon had to play too many minutes because the team is so undermanned.

I agree with Jumbo that too much shouldn't be made of Duhon's sudden rise, but at the same time, even in a system more tailored to his skills, he still deserves a lot of credit for making the most of it. Against the Blazers, not only was he running the team, but he had the responsiblity of defending Brandon Roy most of the game. If Chris could just develop a mid-range shot and make it with more consistency, he could really be a star.

As it is, he is one of the best reasons to watch the Knicks...even with a bad back and wrist, he was running and penetrating constantly, zipping passes to outside shooters or running the pick and roll beautifully. He had a great play against Oden where he used his body to keep Oden from blocking his shot and scored over the much bigger man. Reminded me of a similar play against Okafor in the Final Four where he scored to give us an eight point lead (which most Duke fans, admittedly, may have blocked from memory because it preceded the collapse in the final minutes against UConn).