Just a question...

Just a question I wanted to ask.

In my job, if I make errors or mistakes I am reprimanded.

Does this happen with NCAA refs? Could someone review that travel call, or any major calls in any game and determine the incorrect call was made? If so, would they be reprimanded?

If in my job I had to watch 10 people perform complex tasks, in rapid fire succession, all happening at very high speeds, and make hundreds of split second decisions in a 40 minute period, I would hope that my overall performance was what was being evaluated, not one particular decision made at one brief moment in time.

You're terping.

That exact call is made hundreds of times a season, and it's not the wrong call.

People are up in arms about it now because of the timing and because it went against Duke. There was too much chaos on that possession – a ton of contact and bodies flying – that something had to be called. We didn't get the break that time, but it did not decide the game.

If we'd hit one more 3 or defended properly on the final play, no one would bother talking about the travel. We did neither. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    If in my job I had to watch 10 people perform complex tasks, in rapid fire succession, all happening at very high speeds, and make hundreds of split second decisions in a 40 minute period, I would hope that my overall performance was what was being evaluated, not one particular decision made at one brief moment in time.

You're terping.
    Fair enough, it was just a simple question. Duke should have never been in a position to lose the game on that call anyway.

I believe NFL refs calls are reviewed aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blue Devil View Post
    I believe NFL refs calls are reviewed aren't they?
    It is a lot easier to review specific plays and calls in the NFL - play stops a lot more frequently, and the decisions don't have to be made so much on the fly.

There certainly have been instances of calls being reviewed in basketball and officials being reprimanded. However, it is usually having to do with a mis-interpretation or mis-application of a fule, not a split second judgement call.

There was no "correct" call on that play, in my opinion. Perhaps, from a Duke perspective, the "right" thing to do would have been to let someone tie up Henderson on the floor. That way Duke wouldn't have been penalized for the walk caused by a Wake player on the floor, and even the dreaded possesion arrow would have given Wake very little time to score (I heard someone say Wake would have gained possession. I don't know).

There have been refs reprimanded before. This one came to mind...

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/397343.html

knowing the audience

Mr Blue Devil Just a question...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this happen with NCAA refs? Could someone review that travel call, or any major calls in any game and determine the incorrect call was made? If so, would they be reprimanded?
    Have to be a bit sensitive to the fact that some on the board are officials at one level or another, and others are sensitive to the fact that many in the ACC have, in past years, claimed the officials were on Duke's side...still a good question. If congress can review the actions taken by a company commander in a wartime firefight and the military can prosecute them; certainly we should be able to review the actions of officials in the ultra complex and difficult position of referee...many believe good enough is where you should stop trying to be better, something Ben Franklin disagreed with and a small number of Americans still do. When officials affect outcomes their actions should be reviewed and upheld; reversed; and in extremely negligent cases they should be disciplined...( I don't think there are too many of the latter, but I believe there are a lot of significant calls the NCAA c/should acknowledge as incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blue Devil View Post

I'm sure there is an accountability process for refs. I'm also certain it's a very difficult job, and there is a great margin of error afforded to them on close and/or difficult calls.