Is UCLA the same team as Duke in the early 1990's?

Interesting column by Pat Forde on ESPN.com comparing this years UCLA team to the Duke teams of the early 1990's.

Check it out...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...2&sportCat=ncb

Go Duke!

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the article. Personally, I'm pulling for UCLA to win it all, but that has little to do with the points Pat Forde makes and everything to do with my dislike of Georgetown, my opposition to Florida repeating, and my being under-impressed by Ohio State throughout the tournament. They should've lost twice already.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

I agree with the comparison, except that Florida is nowhere NEAR the powerhouse that UNLV was. Are you telling me that Brewer and Noah are as good as Larry Johnson and Stacey Augmon, PLEASE. . .

Good article. One quibble: Is it okay to call a former Duke player a ****ie? Should it not be Dukie? I really hate that childish term, ****.

For what it is worth I don't like seeing Hansblahblah either. To me this is the same as cursing. Cursing has a time and place but it generally make you look less than intelligent. Ug, rant over.
    Last edited by Chard; 03-30-2007 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Obviously not! The filter didn't like it either.

Back in the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Good article. One quibble: Is it okay to call a former Duke player a ****ie? Should it not be Dukie? I really hate that childish term, ****.
    When I was in school, we never considered ****ie to be a derogatory term. In fact, one of my best friends, a former DUMBer and current alumni band member in NYC games, and among the biggest Duke fans around anywhere, has "****IE" as his New Hampshire license plate today.

Now, ask me if I went to carolina and I'll get offended in a heartbeat!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    When I was in school, we never considered ****ie to be a derogatory term. In fact, one of my best friends, a former DUMBer and current alumni band member in NYC games, and among the biggest Duke fans around anywhere, has "****IE" as his New Hampshire license plate today.

Now, ask me if I went to carolina and I'll get offended in a heartbeat!
    The filters once again take **** out and put in * marks.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I've always found it offensive. Mildly offensive, but offensive. Ozzie's friend is the only Duke person I've heard of who spells Dukie that way. It's always the anti-Duke people, it seems to me. When Forde wrote his article after the Henderson incident, he initially spelled Dukie the offensive way, and I emailed him about it. (It was the first time I'd ever emailed an author of an article about Duke.) I doubt this was done because of my email, but it was changed to the CORRECT spelling of "Dukie" within an hour. I emailed again today about this article. We'll see if it is changed again.
    Last edited by Susan; 03-30-2007 at 11:48 AM.

Going back to the original question, it wouldn't surprise me, not in the least. The whole Flawda program does have that unctuous feel to it that unlv so magnificently embodied.