Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Durham - Where To Stay? Where to Eat?

I have 2 tix to the Miami game and am driving down to Duke from NJ with a buddy who's never been to the campus or to Cameron. I'd like to stay in a hotel that's close to the campus so we can spend time there, but I don't want to break the bank. We're not going to be spending a lot of time in the hotel so I'm not considering the Washington Duke Inn, even though I know it's gorgeous, because it's too expensive. Any suggestions for close, clean hotels moderately priced are appreciated. Also, dining suggestions are also appreciated. Definitely will plan on Bullocks, but what else?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I have 2 tix to the Miami game and am driving down to Duke from NJ with a buddy who's never been to the campus or to Cameron. I'd like to stay in a hotel that's close to the campus so we can spend time there, but I don't want to break the bank. We're not going to be spending a lot of time in the hotel so I'm not considering the Washington Duke Inn, even though I know it's gorgeous, because it's too expensive. Any suggestions for close, clean hotels moderately priced are appreciated. Also, dining suggestions are also appreciated. Definitely will plan on Bullocks, but what else?
    I used to stay at the La Quinta in RTP. Not too far away & good value.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    If you stay at the La Quinta on 15/501, there is a great Greek restaurant down the road called Spartacus. I work with a Greek man, and he said Spartacus has the best Greek food in the area. Pretty high praise!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Try the Millennium Hotel on Maureen Road. It was originally built as the Sheraton. It is almost close enough to walk to campus if you don't have a car, and it is pretty nice. It won't set you back like the Washy Duke, but it is not the Red Roof Inn, either.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

My folks recently stayed at the Homewood Suites on Mt. Moriah Rd. right off of 15-501. They absolutely loved it.

For food:

Allen & Son BBQ on Rt 86 in Chapel Hill ($)
    Elmo's Diner ($)
    Foster's Market ($$)
    Guglhupf ($$)
    George's Garage ($$)
    Dale's Indian Cuisine ($$)
    Nana's ($$$)
    Magnolia Grill ($$$)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    My folks recently stayed at the Homewood Suites on Mt. Moriah Rd. right off of 15-501. They absolutely loved it.
    I believe there is a Comfort Inn in the same area. That is right at an I-40 interchange and has easy access to Duke, Durham and Chapel Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post

Here's the one
    I was referring to.

georges garage

I was down in Durham early this year and Georges Garage was great, but i stayed in the rtp and i thought it was a little far away

For food:

Elmo's Diner ($)
    Foster's Market ($$)
    Guglhupf ($$)
    George's Garage ($$)
    Nana's ($$$)
    Magnolia Grill ($$$)
    Everything on this list is great. In addition to these, I also try to eat at Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill ($$) when in the area. And, haven't been in years, but Anothertyme ($$), right near Brightleaf Square in Durham was always good. Both would be good if you're looking to have a nicer dinner without breaking the bank.

Two more great places to eat

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Everything on this list is great. In addition to these, I also try to eat at Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill ($$) when in the area. And, haven't been in years, but Anothertyme ($$), right near Brightleaf Square in Durham was always good. Both would be good if you're looking to have a nicer dinner without breaking the bank.
    Two of our faves are Vin Rouge and Pop's. Vin Rouge is great for French "comfort food", service is good, convenient to East campus, right off Ninth Street. Pop's is more in the downtown area, but not all that far from campus, in Brightleaf Square area. You'll eat (and drink) well at both these places for a reasonable price. PM me if you need more details/raves about these two.

I always liked Anotherthyme - some reliably excellent items on the regular menu, and some of the specials I've had there are terrific. The atmosphere is quite nice, too.

Spartacus is a really good choice, but I'm spoiled by the Greek places in Chicago.

Also on 15-501, Grace's is a solid choice for "Americana". I'm partial to their chicken quesadilla, which is covered in paprika. They serve their bread gratis with a cinnamon butter that's really tasty.

I've heard good things about Four Square, but never made it there for a meal while I was at school.

Foster's is a terrific place to get a sandwich for lunch.

For good dive Mexican, definitely hit Torrero's. Anyone steering you towards El Rodeo instead is out of their mind. The chain variety is found on 15-501 in the form of On The Border, which is about my favorite chain in the world and hard to get to in Chicago.

I like Parizade's fairly well for Med style dishes, but it's rather pricey for what it is. And while the interior decor is nice enough, it's located randomly in an office park that's quiet as a crypt during the evening. Odd dynamic.

George's Garage is rather expensive for a mediocre meal, I can't say I recommend it. despite the high praise it gets from the sorority scene.

If you go to Pop's, be ready for seafood. Speaking from experience as a non-seafood eater - if you're not in the mood for fish/crab/whatever, you won't find what you want there.

Oh, and just because you decided not to stay at the Washington Duke doesn't mean you can't eat there. The Fairview is a dependable restaurant.

For food:

Elmo's Diner ($)
    Foster's Market ($$)
    Guglhupf ($$)
    George's Garage ($$)
    Nana's ($$$)
    Magnolia Grill ($$$)
    Four Square $$$-$$$$ (are they still open?)
    Watts Grocery-near Dale's ($$-$$$)-relatively new-Southern contemporary cuisine

Biscuit King.

(runs away sobbing)

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Yeah, they're still open, and they're awesome.
    I also really like Lantern over in Chapel Hill

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Watts Grocery-near Dale's ($$-$$$)-relatively new-Southern contemporary cuisine
    Ooh I forgot Watts. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    I always liked Anotherthyme - some reliably excellent items on the regular menu, and some of the specials I've had there are terrific. The atmosphere is quite nice, too.

Spartacus is a really good choice, but I'm spoiled by the Greek places in Chicago.

Also on 15-501, Grace's is a solid choice for "Americana". I'm partial to their chicken quesadilla, which is covered in paprika. They serve their bread gratis with a cinnamon butter that's really tasty.

I've heard good things about Four Square, but never made it there for a meal while I was at school.

Foster's is a terrific place to get a sandwich for lunch.

For good dive Mexican, definitely hit Torrero's. Anyone steering you towards El Rodeo instead is out of their mind. The chain variety is found on 15-501 in the form of On The Border, which is about my favorite chain in the world and hard to get to in Chicago.

I like Parizade's fairly well for Med style dishes, but it's rather pricey for what it is. And while the interior decor is nice enough, it's located randomly in an office park that's quiet as a crypt during the evening. Odd dynamic.

George's Garage is rather expensive for a mediocre meal, I can't say I recommend it. despite the high praise it gets from the sorority scene.

If you go to Pop's, be ready for seafood. Speaking from experience as a non-seafood eater - if you're not in the mood for fish/crab/whatever, you won't find what you want there.

Oh, and just because you decided not to stay at the Washington Duke doesn't mean you can't eat there. The Fairview is a dependable restaurant.
    Four Square is more of an experience, and they are very pricey. Four Square is where you go to celebrate something not just have dinner.

On the Border on 15/501 looks closed.

Parizades is excellent, as is Papa's Grille on Hillandale, not far from the Medical Center. Same type of cuisine, Mediterranean. Papa's also seems to be slower in terms of customers than Parizades, thus easier to get seated if you walk in the door.

I ate at Parizade's last week. The food was delicious and the wine selection was decent.

Courtyard by Marriot at the intersection of Hillandale Road and I-85. A lot nicer than you might think given that it is right on the highway. Very convenient to campus. Reasonable.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...sity-downtown/

Parizade and Anotherthyme have both been around forever - they are consistently good. If you stay at the Courtyard by Marriott you will be walking distance from Papa's Grille (not to be confused with Pop's). It is excellent. I have never been disappointed there.

Of course, for the best possible meal in the area you will have to go to Allen & Son's BBQ at the intersection of Hwy 86 and Mt. Sainia road between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough. There is a downside, however. Once you have had BBQ there you will never have BBQ as good until you return. From then on everytime you eat BBQ you will find yourself saying, "this is okay, but I wish I was at Allen & Son's" It has ruined many a good BBQ experience for people. The BBQ at Allen & Son's is the only BBQ served in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Of course, for the best possible meal in the area you will have to go to Allen & Son's BBQ at the intersection of Hwy 86 and Mt. Sainia road between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough. There is a downside, however. Once you have had BBQ there you will never have BBQ as good until you return. From then on everytime you eat BBQ you will find yourself saying, "this is okay, but I wish I was at Allen & Son's" It has ruined many a good BBQ experience for people. The BBQ at Allen & Son's is the only BBQ served in heaven.
    You are forgetting the other downside. Allen & Son is frequently overrun by people of the light blue persuasion. It's best to just avert the eyes and focus on the food.