Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Anti-Dukeism seems to be at an all-time high in the D.C. area where I live. It is sad that it so uncomfortable to be a Duke graduate and fan around here. When we win, Duke gets all the calls and besides we are a school full of rapists anyway. When we lose, the taunting is out of control.

Today's article in the Washington Post focused primarily on the non-travel call on Scheyer and Tech's missed opportunities. I thought the officiating was bad for both teams at points BTW. The Post article failed to mention the non-calls on the numerous muggings that took place as we drove to the basket, our missed opportunites, and the fact that we outplayed Tech for the balance of the game. If I only read the article and hadn't seen the game, I would have felt it amazing that we escaped with a victory. The article ended with a statement about Tech missing Thorns. Guess whose absence wasn't mentioned?

Biased and Infuriating!

Lightbulb

Nessler going on about a "flop" on Scheyer earlier in the game (play where Scheyer was run over after he got to his defensive spot) really got to me as well as the harping on this travel. Yes, he walked. You'd walk too if you were getting fouled like he was on that play. The bias has to end. Like it was brought up before, how about some more national mentioning of Beaker Hanstravel's FT attempts....THAT is ridiculous. Breathe on him *whistle* Watch him with the ball shoulder and elbow his way to the rim while taking 4 steps *whistle--defensive foul* There does need to be someone on a national scale to step up and have the pelotas to say "Duke does not get all the calls. This is a myth. They are as susceptible to bad/missed calls as any other team in the NCAA (Hendo's being fouled at the end of WF game 1 but ruled a travel comes to mind....helped to set up the game-ending play)." Officiating on the whole isn't an easy job but there are missed/botched calls all the time--it happens. I'd love for it to improve and hope that it does but to hear that our team gets every call their way is wrong and untrue. Look 8 miles the other direction for the last 50 years for a team that could have some validity to that claim.... haha

After a tip from me, Rush The court now has positive duke coverage, in the form of the video of the elbow on singler that was non called...unfortunately its in their sunday running thoughts thread under the jump. Meh, can't win em all.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    Today's article in the Washington Post...
    We live in outerburbs DC and get the early edition of the Post each day. Anybody who reads the WaPo for sports information is wasting their time. Even including the piously bleating, self-styled baseball expert Tommy Boswell, the WaPo "sports" section is garbage.

Furthermore...One play does not make a game...

Hi,

A game consists of two twenty minute halves and over-time if teams are tied at the end of regulation. For arguments sake, let's say Jon traveled and was not fouled, the refs just missed the call plain and simple. What about the other 39 minutes and fifty-five seconds of the game? There are numerous calls one way or the other, no one call makes or breaks a game. Sure there are momentum swings and calls that come at good or bad times, but the Hokies had a lot of time to make sure that it did not come down to one play (and even if they get the ball they are still down three). Jon's walk (or not) was just one of many, many plays in a game.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    AMEN, AMEN, and AMEN!!! It's the same old song and dance. I really thought we had gotten past this crap since we've flamed out several years in a row in the NCAA's. But no. Guess not. I swear I don't think this is ever going to end. I still say ESPN is generally anti-Duke in the booth, and even when we have guys in positions to take a stand for us it doesn't happen. For goodness sake, can't someone stand up and make this a point of emphasis in one of their takes or analysis (Jay, Coach Knight, someone)?!!! Please!!! It's so one-sided I just can't stand it anymore.

Real simple question. Why can't Jay or Coach Knight or someone take footage from the VT game and show a national audience on SC all the spots were Duke did NOT get the call and then ask the question: "Why is the one non-call on Scheyer the only one my colleagues here at ESPN decided to focus on? Seems very one-sided to me."

Something like that would certainly bring in ratings and hopefully shake up things a bit. Anything is better than silence. That has not worked! We've tried it for years now and it's doing us no good. We need an advocate to speak out nationally and pull the mask off this anti-Duke bias once and for all.
    Jay can't do it - everyone would say he is biased. Needs to be Coach Knight or Hubert Davis or Brad Daugherty. Bring back Brad & have him do it!

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    After a tip from me, Rush The court now has positive duke coverage, in the form of the video of the elbow on singler that was non called...unfortunately its in their sunday running thoughts thread under the jump. Meh, can't win em all.
    Sigh. Guess not...now that video is being posted over the internet on places like Thebiglead, cheering over the elbow.

Wow. God, people are a-holes
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Sigh. Guess not...now that video is being posted over the internet on places like Thebiglead, cheering over the elbow.

Wow. God, people are a-holes
    Think PT Barnum-- letting people see that we're getting shafted is good, even if they are cheering. It's pushing back against the tide.

Yikes...anyone else hear Tim Brando's comments ref: Dave Neal and the Nolan Smith KO? Brando and G-man are doing the NC State--Maryland game and Brando was talking about Neal---laughingly said that friends of Neal were coming up to Neal on campus, making contact with him and then pretending to faint.

A little concussion humor in Terp-land, I guess. Ugh.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Josh Hailey WRAL

So add Josh Hailey of WRAL to the list of "Professional Media" that hate Duke. Josh has posted a video on WRAL of the Scheyer play from the vatech game. In the write up he mentions E-Will's walk in the Wake game as well. Great to see the local media join in the hatred huh?

By the way, no mention of the flagrant elbow to Singler, nor any of the other "blatant" missed calls in the game that went against Duke. I guess those are not news worthy. Tried to find an email address for him so I could post it and let everyone send him a love note but did not see one.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/colleges/blog/3572041/

Duke gets all the calls?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...sword=9qq2mvrb

Nice piece from the bleacher report

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Duke gets all the calls?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...sword=9qq2mvrb

Nice piece from the bleacher report
    Wonderful article. Now, if only we could get Knight or Bilas or someone to actually devote one solid, fact-filled segment on SportsCenter to this myth.

Gary

Most newspapers are so biased and awful that that they seem to be going ou of business weekly. Good news for all of us "Barnaby" Jones fans, maybe his paper is next. The announcers on tv are just as bad for the most part. That is what makes Bilas, G Man, JWill and Knight appear so great. No intelligent competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    AMEN, AMEN, and AMEN!!! It's the same old song and dance. I really thought we had gotten past this crap since we've flamed out several years in a row in the NCAA's. But no. Guess not. I swear I don't think this is ever going to end. I still say ESPN is generally anti-Duke in the booth, and even when we have guys in positions to take a stand for us it doesn't happen. For goodness sake, can't someone stand up and make this a point of emphasis in one of their takes or analysis (Jay, Coach Knight, someone)?!!! Please!!! It's so one-sided I just can't stand it anymore.

Real simple question. Why can't Jay or Coach Knight or someone take footage from the VT game and show a national audience on SC all the spots were Duke did NOT get the call and then ask the question: "Why is the one non-call on Scheyer the only one my colleagues here at ESPN decided to focus on? Seems very one-sided to me."

Something like that would certainly bring in ratings and hopefully shake up things a bit. Anything is better than silence. That has not worked! We've tried it for years now and it's doing us no good. We need an advocate to speak out nationally and pull the mask off this anti-Duke bias once and for all.
    Early last season, I had heard from someone that Coach K specifically requested Jimmy Dykes not do any of our ESPN games because he felt after watching the tape that Mr. Dykes was propagating the "Duke gets away with foul calls" perception/myth. For the remainder of the season, he didn't broadcast one of Duke's games. Unfortunately, the droning sounds of Len Elmore became the frequent soundtrack for our games.

It was therefore with interested bemusement to hear Mr. Dykes' irksome twang on the recent "Scheyer video," but, if Duke flexes its ratings generating muscle, I don't think we'll be hearing from him for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    Early last season, I had heard from someone that Coach K specifically requested Jimmy Dykes not do any of our ESPN games because he felt after watching the tape that Mr. Dykes was propagating the "Duke gets away with foul calls" perception/myth. For the remainder of the season, he didn't broadcast one of Duke's games. Unfortunately, the droning sounds of Len Elmore became the frequent soundtrack for our games.

It was therefore with interested bemusement to hear Mr. Dykes' irksome twang on the recent "Scheyer video," but, if Duke flexes its ratings generating muscle, I don't think we'll be hearing from him for a while.
    Wow! That's an interesting and refreshing revelation. I'm glad Coach K takes notice of these things. I realize some people would probably have the opinion that he shouldn't care at all or be concerned with it, but I take the opposite view. Without being overly heavy-handed, I think Coach ought to do everything within his power to take care of the biased, anti-Duke announcing that goes on so much. I know he can't do it all though, that's why I wish one of the top College Basketball announcers at ESPN really would devote a segment to this and really pound this myth into dust once and for all. Us ignoring it, or taking the so-called "high road", hasn't helped one iota.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    Early last season, I had heard from someone that Coach K specifically requested Jimmy Dykes not do any of our ESPN games because he felt after watching the tape that Mr. Dykes was propagating the "Duke gets away with foul calls" perception/myth.
    That would help explain why Dykes was about ready to suit up and take the floor in order to try to beat Duke.

Listening to the game, as Dykes became more strident, I began to wonder if he didn't have a big pile of dough riding on a VT victory.

Hello all, looooong time reader checking in here (back from the juliovision days) that hasn't posted since Sir James Armstrong manned these boards!

Surprisingly, here's yet another nice link debunking the myth that Duke gets all the calls:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ers/index.html

I wish the author had actually addressed the Scheyer "walk" more in depth- if you're gonna use that as an example about missed calls in a game, you may want to direct your eyes slightly above where they're currently focused to see what the nice VT chaps are doing with their arms during the "walk".

All in all though, nice to see some objectivity and measured discussion on the matter. Now if ESPN Page 2 were to run a similar piece, I'll know the end of the world is nigh.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    That would help explain why Dykes was about ready to suit up and take the floor in order to try to beat Duke.

Listening to the game, as Dykes became more strident, I began to wonder if he didn't have a big pile of dough riding on a VT victory.
    I watched the game again last night - he actually referred to VT as "we" when talking about them getting into their halfcourt offense, etc. Does he have any previous association with VT?

The Sports Guy Strikes Again

Disclaimer - I am a BIG Bill Simmons fan, despite the fact that he hates every team that I love, especially Duke. Despite all of that, I still really like him, his style, POV, etc... especially his podcasts.

So...I was listening to his interview this week with Houston Rockets' GM Daryl Morey, the wunderkind stats wonk prominently featured in the NYTimes mag piece about Shane, and Morey said Shane would probably never go on the Sports Guy's podcast...the resulting exchange went something like this:

Simmons:
    Why?

Morey:
    Because you are always bashing Duke.

Simmons:
    I'll say it right now, I hate Duke.

Morey:
    (laughing)

Simmons:
    Right now, I am going to send you a photo of me wearing a "Duke Sucks" tshirt that I bought at a vintage store and I want you to forward it to Shane

Amidst this bile, I screamed "*%#*& You!" at the stereo.

We as fans need to be on edge this week...hungry...surly...our team needs our collective energy...I thought this might fan the flames a little!!!

Feel free to be uspet that Bill Simmons hates Duke, but really... what's the point? I mean, its not like Coach K or Grant Hill said they hate Duke. It's Bill Simmons. A guy who is coined the term "jump the shark" simply so that, after years of writing the same column over and over again, people would know how to describe Bill Simmons.

Example: "Geez, did you see Simmons' column about NBA player trade value (or worst NBA GM) (or worst NBA contract) (or how it is awesome to be a Sox fan) (or how it is awful to be a Sox fan)? Man, that guy has really jumped the shark."

Just because idiots get air time on TV and radio, doesn't mean you need to let them upset you. Look... enjoy being a Duke fan. Don't get angry because people hate Duke. Let them hate. It will most likely shorten thier life spans. All that negativity and whatnot!
    WWJDD?