Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bomani Jones

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    I didn't find his statements off that much - he was focusing on tournament success since 2005 and let's face it - we haven't had much success since then.

Of course, I just finished listening to Bomani Jones on local radio refer to Duke as "a sorry school". So in comparison, John is not much of a hater.
    How does Bomani Jones still have a job? Nothing he writes is even remotely original. He just spews the typical racist reverse BS and doesn't even remotely try to be objective. He is a talentless hack. I am all for freedom of speech and differing viewpoints, but he just plain sucks. What did he say about Duke now? The pure hate spewing from him is ridiculous.

Feinstein was on 850 the Buzz this morning and termed Duke Football as equivalent to the McCain/Palin campaign---started off well, and then went south---never saw the logic in that analogy. I never sensed that the GOP getting a serious bump with that combination.

Something that I learned tonite is that Feinstein is going through a divorce as we write and it's likely that he'll be taken to the cleaners. This may or may not explain his ultra edginess toward Duke lately. I'm not sure. I don't sense that K's had much contact with him or anyone from Duke. He seems to refer to K in a more distant way now. I'm thinking that K didn't appreciate John's attitude about the lacrosse team, and maybe K felt that John went too far with his Alleva bashing (those are more guesses than anything).

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Feinstein was on 850 the Buzz this morning and termed Duke Football as equivalent to the McCain/Palin campaign---started off well, and then went south---never saw the logic in that analogy. I never sensed that the GOP getting a serious bump with that combination.

Something that I learned tonite is that Feinstein is going through a divorce as we write and it's likely that he'll be taken to the cleaners. This may or may not explain his ultra edginess toward Duke lately. I'm not sure. I don't sense that K's had much contact with him or anyone from Duke. He seems to refer to K in a more distant way now. I'm thinking that K didn't appreciate John's attitude about the lacrosse team, and maybe K felt that John went too far with his Alleva bashing (those are more guesses than anything).
    Feinstein has burned many, many bridges in the athletic department...

John who? Oh, didn't he used to write sports books? Haven't heard about him doing anything noteworthy in a long time. Did he retire?

Quote Originally Posted by studdlee10 View Post
    How does Bomani Jones still have a job? Nothing he writes is even remotely original. He just spews the typical racist reverse BS and doesn't even remotely try to be objective. He is a talentless hack. I am all for freedom of speech and differing viewpoints, but he just plain sucks. What did he say about Duke now? The pure hate spewing from him is ridiculous.
    Yea, I usually change stations when Bomani is on - I can only assume he appeals to various deadbeats and Carolina fans (or are they the same) around the Triangle.

He was discussing the poor attendance at Duke football and specifically the fact that WW was primarily red on Saturday. Of course he exaggerated that! After discussing that and someother subject, he stated "Duke is a sorry school". I guess it was sort of in the context of football, but it stood out from that. Typical stuff from him though.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Something that I learned tonite is that Feinstein is going through a divorce as we write and it's likely that he'll be taken to the cleaners.
    So it appears even his wife can't stand him.

If only...

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    John who? Oh, didn't he used to write sports books? Haven't heard about him doing anything noteworthy in a long time. Did he retire?
    Yes he did, but unfortunately he still seems to be on the payroll.

Come to think of it, he reminds me of some of my colleagues.

Quote Originally Posted by studdlee10 View Post
    Well, Duke did hire him to teach a course at Duke! I think last semester...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Well, Duke did hire him to teach a course at Duke! I think last semester...
    Really?? Do you happen to know what the subject matter was?

Don't live in the Triangle, but get there fairly often on business and listen to the various sports-related radio programs; Bomani is awful.

Going back a little bit, did Bomani weigh in on the lacrosse case, or was that before his time on local radio?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Really?? Do you happen to know what the subject matter was?

Don't live in the Triangle, but get there fairly often on business and listen to the various sports-related radio programs; Bomani is awful.

Going back a little bit, did Bomani weigh in on the lacrosse case, or was that before his time on local radio?
    He taught in the African and African American Studies department:

AAAS 132 BLACK POPULAR CULTURE
    8626 Sec. 01 LEC TTH 08:30 AM-09:45 AM Freidl Building 240 Jones,Bomani B
    Topic: BLACK ATHLETES IN AMERICA

http://www.registrar.duke.edu/regist...spring2008.pdf

See also Duke Professor Bomani Jones?

And, yes, he heavily weighed in regarding the LAX case, but I don't want to add anything else as I don't want to move this thread to PPB.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    He taught in the African and African American Studies department:

AAAS 132 BLACK POPULAR CULTURE
    8626 Sec. 01 LEC TTH 08:30 AM-09:45 AM Freidl Building 240 Jones,Bomani B
    Topic: BLACK ATHLETES IN AMERICA

http://www.registrar.duke.edu/regist...spring2008.pdf

See also Duke Professor Bomani Jones?

And, yes, he heavily weighed in regarding the LAX case, but I don't want to add anything else as I don't want to move this thread to PPB.

I actaully like listening to Bomani. Find him relatively funny and while I think he disses Duke WAY too much, he pretty much does that to everybody in some form or fashion.

His stance during the Crystal Mangum drunken, drug-addled frame up was never from the angle that the players had assaulted the woman. He simply came out against the overwhelming support for the players when they hit the playing field again. I thought he was entirely wrong in holding the players in any way responsible for the mess that it became, but I don't believe he was ever in the 'something happened' crowd.

"I am shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!" --Renault.

Or Duke bashing by Feinstein.

Bomani Jones is at the end of a long line of bad hosts at 850...

Duke Hatred Tsunami -- 2008-09 Collector Thread

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebas...ory/11098344/1

He wants Paulus to start games and Nolan to finish them...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    http://www.sportsline.com/collegebas...ory/11098344/1

He wants Paulus to start games and Nolan to finish them...
    The more I think about it, the more I tend to agree with Paulus starting and Nolan finishing. But not necessarily for the same reasons that the article mentions, although I think he is right to some extent.

Greg runs the offense better and is a better shooter than Nolan at this stage in the season. We didn't get off to a good start last game and I think Greg starting can ensure better play at the start of games. Perhaps one reason why Gerald didn't play well was due to this poor start. It just seemed like G never got in any rhythm and it's the PG job to get his teammates involved first.

Nolan is the better defender and penetrator. At the end of games, you don't need 3 point shooting as much as lock-down defense and attacking the rim.

Starting or Not Starting

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I tend to agree with Paulus starting and Nolan finishing. But not necessarily for the same reasons that the article mentions, although I think he is right to some extent.

Greg runs the offense better and is a better shooter than Nolan at this stage in the season. We didn't get off to a good start last game and I think Greg starting can ensure better play at the start of games. Perhaps one reason why Gerald didn't play well was due to this poor start. It just seemed like G never got in any rhythm and it's the PG job to get his teammates involved first.

Nolan is the better defender and penetrator. At the end of games, you don't need 3 point shooting as much as lock-down defense and attacking the rim.
    Why do I get the feeling that if Paulus was starting- the article would have been about taking a player with starting skills (Smith) and relegating him to the bench and hoping he embraced that role as a sophomore being risky as well. Somehow I trust the coaches on this. Not to mention, Paulus may still have a nagging knee injury from the summer. Having Paulus come into the middle of games with a lead- and hitting deep threes to extend the lead is actually a pretty good strategy. Paulus is a great shooter with his feet set and could be used in many games to gain separation. Also what better time to get Nolan used to running the show than in early games. K knows what he is doing here.

Practice started less than a month ago

Aren't we a little early in stating that Greg runs the offense better and that we can get off to a better start with him in the game? We have played one game.

im gonna go a new direction here and say I want them to play alongside each other, with scheyer too in a deadly perimeter attack where nolan can create and kick it out to those too. at least against smaller teams.

I liked them together too. I only recall that happening for the last few minutes of the first half but I thought they looked fluid playing together.

Greg hit so many BIG shots last year I'd hate to think of him not being in the game at crunch time, at least on an offense/ defense basis.

At the end of games, you don't need 3 point shooting as much as lock-down defense and attacking the rim.
    Personally, I think 3-point shooting is pretty important at the end of a close game.