Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The UNC towel boys

Man, those guys were slow!
    I know, they were pre-teen boys so they were probably doing the best they could. But at least 2 times, I was wondering what's the delay. And then I realized everyone was waiting on them.

I guess the players don't mind though. Gives them a nice little breather.

miserable performance

I know they are little kids, but here is my take - WTF is UNC doing have little kids, who appear unmotivated, wipe up the floor. I remember several occassions when the overweight kid, put the towel under his foot and tried to dry the spot with his foot. What's up with that? He needs to be on the floor, towel in hand, working like 20 million people are looking at him.

Hell, Danny Green should have just put the towel under his feet and danced on the wet spot. That would have been much more effective.

We used to have the same problem in Cameron. The ballboys/girls were kids, wrote letters to K about why they wanted to do it, etc, but they were just too slow. I am guessing that is why the managers do it now. Doc

I'm usually a lurker but thought I would comment here. I noticed on at least one occasion that it looked like they were purposefully being slow. Hansborough was at the free throw line and looked worn out, he was hunched over with his hands on his knees, sure sign of tiredness. To me it looked like the towel boy was going slower for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 34dukegal View Post
    I'm usually a lurker but thought I would comment here. I noticed on at least one occasion that it looked like they were purposefully being slow. Hansborough was at the free throw line and looked worn out, he was hunched over with his hands on his knees, sure sign of tiredness. To me it looked like the towel boy was going slower for this reason.
    Towelgate!

I was actually furious with the towel tots. I would have KILLED to be in that position at that age, and I would have rolled around in the sweat puddles if that's what it took to clean it up.

I also noticed that at one time, Tyler was somewhat "directing" one of the tots to a puddle...while he stood with his head down, and sweat dripped from his face on to the floor.

That's like getting spanked by your mom for hitting your brother.

Plus, Hansbwhatever kept dripping on the spot - so it would never be dry. Someone should have given him a towel.

That's pretty much the way I read it too. We had run them into the ground Hansexahusted was beat and they were basically using the cleanup time as an extra time out. Seemed a bit bush league to me but I didn't mind too much because we had the lead and I didn't think we'd be giving that lead up no matter how much sweat Hansslobber put on the floor.

Apparently, Tyler did, in fact, throw in the towel.

But seriously, is this a great board or what?!
    We even examine the efficiency of the towel boys?! No stone is left unturned.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Apparently, Tyler did, in fact, throw in the towel.

But seriously, is this a great board of what?!
    We even examine the efficiency of the towel boys?! No stone is left unturned.
    Funny, I'm embarrassed by this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    No need to be. It was all a part of gamesmanship. Like Ol' Roy's disbelief that Thompson was guilty of his fifth.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Plus, Hansbwhatever kept dripping on the spot - so it would never be dry. Someone should have given him a towel.
    Dough sweats!

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhook View Post
    We used to have the same problem in Cameron. The ballboys/girls were kids, wrote letters to K about why they wanted to do it, etc, but they were just too slow. I am guessing that is why the managers do it now. Doc
    Back in the old days, it was always teenagers who were ball boys, at least 13 years old. There were four of them, two at each end, the same ones for years, and they did a good job. Then they started getting younger and younger b/c they were grandchildren of old Iron Dukes or whatever. They were useless, got in the way, and were probably a liability risk under the basket if they got hurt. So they ditched the kids. Best idea.

At the school were I worked for a couple of years the towel kids were extremely enthusiastic. Our student section cheered them on like they were players. The kids got the work done as quickly as possible so that they could enjoy the applause.

Those who wiped the floor

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Back in the old days, it was always teenagers who were ball boys, at least 13 years old. There were four of them, two at each end, the same ones for years, and they did a good job. Then they started getting younger and younger b/c they were grandchildren of old Iron Dukes or whatever. They were useless, got in the way, and were probably a liability risk under the basket if they got hurt. So they ditched the kids. Best idea.
    Actually Duke did little to prepare the kids for their jobs. The uniforms seemed to be contributed and there was little attention how the kids looked and how they performed their jobs. Coach K didn't make the selection; Tom D'Army (sp?) did. I know this because my niece and nephew served in the towel crews years ago. In fact, my niece was the second girl ever selected. She was reluctant to apply because she saw no girls on the crews. I encouraged her to apply and make a good presentation since there would be many times in her life that she'd be confronting the same issue. Writing the letter of application was a great exercise causing her to take a look at her life and her goals.

It is safer and more efficient to have college students handle this responsibility. Certainly reflects another way college basketball has changed over the years.

They were useless, got in the way, and were probably a liability risk under the basket if they got hurt.
    they weren't useless and the fans loved them, but they were pulled because of the potential injury factor quite a few years ago now.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

I've seen some places with swiffer-like mops on sticks..they seem to work quicker and cut down on people having to bend over, get on the floor, and whatnot..Could be helpful especially if non-kids are doing the mopping.

I thought they were just bad. People were slipping everywhere, more than I've ever seen in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    In our defense, the kids were terrible. Having ceremonial ballkids is fine, but I'm sure Carolina basketball can afford a couple of mops.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    In our defense, the kids were terrible. Having ceremonial ballkids is fine, but I'm sure Carolina basketball can afford a couple of mops.
    If it weren't the ball kids, what would the issue be?