Thread: Jordan Davidson

Jordan Davidson

Is he being redshirted as insurance for next year? This may have been discussed previously.

Quote Originally Posted by dukejim1 View Post
    Is he being redshirted as insurance for next year? This may have been discussed previously.
    Yes, he is redshirting.

http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.c...18-1079612.cfm

Why?

It's really none of my business but I'm curious why either Jordan and Duke would want to do this. Sure, it's great to be part of Duke basketball since he is not likely to make a career out of playing professionally, but assuming he will graduate this Spring I wonder what is in it for him other than the pure pleasure of practice and being part of the team. If he's set to graduate he'll need to be in grad school at Duke to be eligible to play, right? Or if he has eased off on credits with the redshirting to keep his status as an undergraduate why would Coach K not want to have his scholarship slot (Goduke says he earned one in 2007) back for new recruits?

No doubt like all walk-ons at Duke whose role is to help the team prepare in practice and gets little playing time, he was the best player on his h.s. team by far, and I have no doubt he's a great kid and helpful to the program. Nevertheless, it would seem the disincentives for his staying on would outweigh the benefits for both him and Coach K.

PG depth

Without Wall, and barring significant ball handling improvement from Eliot Williams, we will be dependent on Nolan and Jon next year.. An injury to either would be significant. Jordan knows the system and would be a better option than any last minute pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    It's really none of my business but I'm curious why either Jordan and Duke would want to do this. Sure, it's great to be part of Duke basketball since he is not likely to make a career out of playing professionally, but assuming he will graduate this Spring I wonder what is in it for him other than the pure pleasure of practice and being part of the team. If he's set to graduate he'll need to be in grad school at Duke to be eligible to play, right? Or if he has eased off on credits with the redshirting to keep his status as an undergraduate why would Coach K not want to have his scholarship slot (Goduke says he earned one in 2007) back for new recruits?

No doubt like all walk-ons at Duke whose role is to help the team prepare in practice and gets little playing time, he was the best player on his h.s. team by far, and I have no doubt he's a great kid and helpful to the program. Nevertheless, it would seem the disincentives for his staying on would outweigh the benefits for both him and Coach K.
    Jordan Davidson started as a walk-on - he is on scholarship now. Getting a year of graduate school at Duke while on a full scholarship is not such a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Jordan Davidson started as a walk-on - he is on scholarship now. Getting a year of graduate school at Duke while on a full scholarship is not such a bad thing.
    There have also been some football players who have been able to go to graduate school or earn additional certifications while using their last year of eligibility on scholarship. One who comes to mind is #3, Vince Oghobaase. Systematic red shirting in football encourages this tend.

It's great news that Jordan will be around next year.

Let's Get the Info Straight

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Jordan is NOT on scholarship this year... although he has been in the past and would be if he stays for next year. The reasons given before (need some backup for Nolan and Jon( are valid.

The redshirt decision is made, but coming back next year isn't. That's up to Jordan. He WILL graduate in May and could decide that he won't use his last year of eligibility... similar thing happened a couple of years ago when Ross Perkins, who had been a manager his freshman year, joined the team. He graduated with one year of eligibility left and ultimately decided NOT to come back.

Please be careful with what you are saying here about Jordan and all the other players. If you don't know for sure what they have decided, you shouldn't post it.

Jordan is a terrific kid, and it would be great for Duke if he were to come back. I just don't know yet whether it would be great for Jordan, and only he can decide that.

GTHC
    DukeDevilDeb

If it were me - I would never leave college! They'd be asking who that 47 year old practice player is...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    If it were me - I would never leave college! They'd be asking who that 47 year old practice player is...
    Ditto!

Jordan

Personally I hope he comes back. And spending another year at Duke University is not a bad thing. Go Duke!

Just wondering if Davidson will be back next year? Others imply that he would be under scholarship. If Henderson stays and Duke signs either Wall or Bledsoe, it would seem there are no available scholarships. If there was hope of a scholarship, I'd imagine this possibility was discussed before he redshirted.

Quote Originally Posted by dukejunkie View Post
    Just wondering if Davidson will be back next year? Others imply that he would be under scholarship. If Henderson stays and Duke signs either Wall or Bledsoe, it would seem there are no available scholarships. If there was hope of a scholarship, I'd imagine this possibility was discussed before he redshirted.
    Duke has 2 scholarships available for 2009-10

1) Hendersons
    2) Wall/Bledsoe (Given next years scholarship situation these two are mutually exclusive)

If we don't keep BOTH keep G and land a recruit my guess is he'll get the last scholarship for his final year, otherwise, he'll get to pay to watch a run at the NCAA title. Seems like a win win to me.

no kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Ditto!
    I still have 4 years of eligibility left, if we don't get Wall or Bledsoe, and G and Jordan leave. I still have that eligibility even if they don't leave.