Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 209
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I liked them together too. I only recall that happening for the last few minutes of the first half but I thought they looked fluid playing together.

    Greg hit so many BIG shots last year I'd hate to think of him not being in the game at crunch time, at least on an offense/ defense basis.
    My feelings exactly.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    Aren't we a little early in stating that Greg runs the offense better and that we can get off to a better start with him in the game? We have played one game.
    Tell that to the posters who are freaking out about "What's wrong with Henderson" and the endless posts of Zoubek after only one game. With your logic, we shouldn't even have a post-game thread.

    If you read my post, I say that Greg is better running the offense "at this point in the season." And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Paulus, who has been running this team since his Fr. year is better right now than Nolan at running the offense as a whole.

    I don't disagree with Nolan starting, I'm just saying that Paulus starting and Nolan finishing may have its advantages.
    Last edited by houstondukie; 11-11-2008 at 05:15 PM.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Personally, I think 3-point shooting is pretty important at the end of a close game.
    Not when you're giving up easy baskets at the other end.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    Not when you're giving up easy baskets at the other end.

    Well, first of all, it sounds like you think Paulus plays no defense at all, which is not my impression.

    Second of all, as long as you make two three-pointers for every three easy baskets you let up, it's a wash.

    If you're down two with 15 seconds to go, would you rather have a defender or a three-point shooter on the floor? It's all about situations.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wilson NC

    2008-09 Duke Hate Tsunami Collector Thread

    I was watching ESPNU today and Colin Cowherd of ESPNRadio was talking about Charlie Wies and the poor job he was doing at Notre Dame. He said he felt that Wies' job was on the line. He also talked about how the media has talked about how good Notre Dame's recrutting classes have been but have not lived up to expectations. He said he compares that to Duke basketball recrutting ever year. He said Duke goes after the Wendy's All American class but just because they're recrutted by Duke the media makes them McDonalds All Americans. He said he was sure he would get bashed for saying that, but look at what caliber of players ever make it in the NBA from Duke. Don't you just love these sports (Duke Hater) experts.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by DownEastDevil View Post
    I was watching ESPNU today and Colin Cowherd of ESPNRadio was talking about Charlie Wies and the poor job he was doing at Notre Dame. He said he felt that Wies' job was on the line. He also talked about how the media has talked about how good Notre Dame's recrutting classes have been but have not lived up to expectations. He said he compares that to Duke basketball recrutting ever year. He said Duke goes after the Wendy's All American class but just because they're recrutted by Duke the media makes them McDonalds All Americans. He said he was sure he would get bashed for saying that, but look at what caliber of players ever make it in the NBA from Duke. Don't you just love these sports (Duke Hater) experts.
    He's a flip-flopper. A couple weeks from now he'll have Elton Brand or Boozer on and praise them and Duke. He likes to get a rise out of people people because it improves ratings.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, first of all, it sounds like you think Paulus plays no defense at all, which is not my impression.

    Second of all, as long as you make two three-pointers for every three easy baskets you let up, it's a wash.

    If you're down two with 15 seconds to go, would you rather have a defender or a three-point shooter on the floor? It's all about situations.
    Of course in that situation I would want Greg in the game, but we're not talking about the last play of the game but rather the last 5 minutes or so, when defense and taking high % shots (e.g. non-3 point shots) matter most.

    Defense wins championships, not 3 point shooting, especially this year with line being pushed back.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    Tell that to the posters who are freaking out about "What's wrong with Henderson" and the endless posts of Zoubek after only one game. With your logic, we shouldn't even have a post-game thread.

    If you read my post, I say that Greg is better running the offense "at this point in the season." And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Paulus, who has been running this team since his Fr. year is better right now than Nolan at running the offense as a whole.

    I don't disagree with Nolan starting, I'm just saying that Paulus starting and Nolan finishing may have its advantages.
    Ok, coach away! However, I do think a post-game thread could talk about that sick dunk, huge block, big hustle play and jerk on the other team, but if you want to provide Coach K some tips, feel free.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border

    ESPN vs. AP (polls)

    Normally I would not comment on poll results, especially this early in the year when they are essentially meaningless. But... I find it interesting that the coaches kept Duke at #5 while the media dropped Duke to #10 after yesterday's scare from URI.

    So, are the coaches wrong? Or is this a case of the media having a good time with a little early hating on Duke? UCLA barely held off Miami (OH) at home but didn't budge from their #4 spot in the media poll. Hmmm...

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Normally I would not comment on poll results, especially this early in the year when they are essentially meaningless. But... I find it interesting that the coaches kept Duke at #5 while the media dropped Duke to #10 after yesterday's scare from URI.

    So, are the coaches wrong? Or is this a case of the media having a good time with a little early hating on Duke? UCLA barely held off Miami (OH) at home but didn't budge from their #4 spot in the media poll. Hmmm...
    Maybe they just don't watch west coast games...I was at the UCLA game, and while Miami played well, UCLA didn't look like a top 5 team in that game. It's funny to contrast the comments on here following the RI game with what I thought of the UCLA game. Put simply, I thought that Duke played significantly better than UCLA, although both were pushed to the limit by a game opponent. If Miami had shot anything like RI did, UCLA wouldn't be in the top 10 anymore (and I wouldn't get to see them in NYC).

  11. #51
    I think that the coach's poll votes much earlier, meaning that the voters had less time to learn about the game.

    We were completely lost on offense and defense for long stretches of the game. Being number 10 is mostly on potential, and not reality, right now.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    If Miami had shot anything like RI did, UCLA wouldn't be in the top 10 anymore (and I wouldn't get to see them in NYC).
    Perhaps UCLA played better defense than Duke.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morganton, NC

    Wink

    I actually thought we played decent defense, hit a team with a couple of players who were very hot-it happens and it will get better !

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border
    Okay, now that's pretty darn interesting that Gary Williams was saying the same thing about Duke and UCLA's rankings by the media this past week. I can't believe I'm agreeing with something he actually said!

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO

    Smile Enlightened Self Interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Okay, now that's pretty darn interesting that Gary Williams was saying the same thing about Duke and UCLA's rankings by the media this past week. I can't believe I'm agreeing with something he actually said!
    Gary Williams's comments are totally predictable from the standpoint of Maryland's best interests. If Duke is ranked high (or low) the other ACC teams down the standings will be ranked correspondingly higher (or lower).

    sagegrouse

  16. #56

    SI hates us

    Not sure if this has already been posted, so forgive me if it has, but this is a horrible article by SI.

    While her general argument may have some truth to it, the points she brings up to back it are terrible. She didn't even notice that we outrebounded them. Crazy.

    The good thing at least is the comments on the article generally feel the same way I do about it.


    http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/in...-still-wanting

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by huied View Post
    Not sure if this has already been posted, so forgive me if it has, but this is a horrible article by SI.

    While her general argument may have some truth to it, the points she brings up to back it are terrible. She didn't even notice that we outrebounded them. Crazy.

    The good thing at least is the comments on the article generally feel the same way I do about it.


    http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/in...-still-wanting
    Why is there so much complaining on this site ("whining" is probably a better word for it). First, the media in general, then the fans of other teams, then Jay Bilas, then Jason Williams, then the referees, and now the posts on DBR (this last one is courtesy of me).

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    Why is there so much complaining on this site ("whining" is probably a better word for it). First, the media in general, then the fans of other teams, then Jay Bilas, then Jason Williams, then the referees, and now the posts on DBR (this last one is courtesy of me).
    Well, in this case, it might be because the article in question was pretty horrible.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    Why is there so much complaining on this site ("whining" is probably a better word for it). First, the media in general, then the fans of other teams, then Jay Bilas, then Jason Williams, then the referees, and now the posts on DBR (this last one is courtesy of me).
    I completely agree that there's too much whining around here. That said, it really was a terrible article - the writer apparently forgot the less than impressive performance of UNC's frontline against Wake in a similar effort.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California

    Hate-Meme Redux

    Despite crowing from The Chronicle about Duke Blue Planet lessening the hate, the Duke gets all the calls meme is getting more play in the blogosphere today (e.g., The Big Lead and Deadspin) on account of this video. Has it been altered?

    Mods: Apologies if this has already been posted. Move as appropriate.

Similar Threads

  1. Terp-Duke Hatred and Poker
    By JonnyWonder in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 09:39 PM
  2. UNC Hatred Tsunami- What a conspiracy
    By jdj4duke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 08:54 PM
  3. Duke Hatred Tsunami v. 2.0
    By Dopeshop in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 01:29 AM
  4. Duke Hatred Tsunami 2008 edition
    By Dopeshop in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 360
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 09:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •