Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dodging a Bullet Named Kevin Love

Last year, many on this board were upset when we seemed to back off of Kevin Love. He seems like he is going to be a great player, who has a fantastic skillset that the media raves over. He is sweeping up the National Player of the Year Awards.

Thank god we backed off him. This kid will be an absolute Cancer in the locker room at UCLA next year. Look at the comments he made on CNN.com regarding having to split Oregon Player of the Year awards with a kid (ours) whose team beat his twice, including in the state finals.

Also, KL needs to take himself a lot less seriously. These national high school player of year awards are usually based not solely on performance but on comportment, scholastic achievement, likeability, etc. Mayo is better, Rose probably is, same with Gordon. Mayo has a history of discipline problems, Rose talked openly of trying to find a way around the rule requiring kids to go to school, and Gordon was at the epicenter of a distasteful recruiting quagmire, so Love is all that is left.

Remember that something similiar happened to McBob his Sr year in HS and he whined and moaned about it, a pattern that would sadly repeat itself. Expect more of this from Love.

Love sounds like the type of kid who could get 30 shots a game and then complain loudly to the media that he did not get 35 shots. He will blame everyone but himself for a bad play, loss, etc. It is very telling that none, and I mean none, of the kids who have ever played with him on an AAU team (including last summer's which is considered to have been one of the best ever) even considered going to school with him despite the widely held belief that Love was most responsible for their success.

Nest year, he will have great numbers, and UCLA will not seriously compete for a NC, even if everybody comes back (they won't). K dodged a nightmare here.

here is the link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ore/index.html

Patrick Yates

You know I come out here to New York and I get the McDonald's national player of the year award," says Love, who averaged 34 points, 18 rebounds, and six assists this season. "I also find out that I have won the Naismith Award, the Wooden Award, and the Parade player of the year awards. Back home in Oregon, though, I only tie for state player of the year with Kyle Singler. Go figure.
    What an a**. Could he be anymore full of himself? That is unreal.

Dodging a Bullet Named Kevin Love

Couldn't agree more on Kevin Love. He is a heckuva player, though. Thanks for the link.

Having spent 2 weekends watching Singler and Love in a dozen AAU games, both together and on separate teams, I've got news for you Mr. Love...Singler is every bit as good as you are. Actually, I think he's better but that's JMO.

You may very well be correct but...

I just read that article and he didn't come across nearly as bad as I thought he would from reading the comments in this thread. I mean, he's an 18 year old kid, he's going to some things we might consider stupid or at the very least, immature. Whatever. If this article is the worst thing we can find to complain about, then I guess we have become a bunch of whiny fans.

There is a famous quote....

"I just read that article and he didn't come across nearly as bad as I thought he would from reading the comments in this thread. I mean, he's an 18 year old kid, he's going to some things we might consider stupid or at the very least, immature. Whatever."

"As the twig is bent, so the tree is inclined."

Love, Ima
    Last edited by Ima Facultiwyfe; 03-27-2007 at 02:40 PM.

Tip of the Iceberg

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    I just read that article and he didn't come across nearly as bad as I thought he would from reading the comments in this thread. I mean, he's an 18 year old kid, he's going to some things we might consider stupid or at the very least, immature. Whatever. If this article is the worst thing we can find to complain about, then I guess we have become a bunch of whiny fans.
    This is the latest in a long string. In an earlier article (no links), when asked about his exercise routine, he stated that his work outs were "secret." (Like Barry Bonds's workouts were classified. Not implying he is juiced, but that is strange. Usually high school athletes can't shut up about their workouts).

Love has a history of having a Dad who is a terrible sports parent -- see Burgess's dad for a reasonable comparison.

Also, and I follow recruiting closesly, but lack the insider connections of Watzone or Jumbo (feel free to weigh in) but I cannot remember any teammate at any of the AAU or Shoe Camps ever being complimentary towards this kid. Nothing bad is ever said, but silence can be a statement in and of itself.

If this article was the first red flag, I would not have mentioned it. But it is the latest in a long list of incidents that make me think this kid is a me-first (actually, a me-only) player who will put up big numbers on underachieving teams.

When he leaves school for the pros next summer, I think we will really start to hear that he was not well liked by his teammates.

Patrick Yates

There is a famous quote....

"As the tree is bent, so the tree is inclined."

This story may interest you: STAN LOVE

The frustrating aspect of this is that the young man is very much a team player between the lines. Having said that, I wouldn't want any part of this if I were a coach.

Couple of Points

1. If I were almost unanimously considered the best high school player in the United States, then I would wonder why I was not considered the best high school player in Oregon.

2. In college Love will be coached by Ben Howland. My understanding is that Howland does not take any nonsense from anyone on his teams. I doubt if Howland will allow Love to be a distraction.

3. Love looks like a great high school player to me. I also think he will be a great college player. He is big and has great hands. He will be able to overpower most college big men, then catch, then make the short shot.

I hope you are right and I am wrong.

SoCal

Not what I expected out of the thread

The bullet we dodged in regards to Love is that he didn't go to UNC.

He'll be better than Hansbrough, and, at least in Carolina Blue, he'd be at the FT line just as much.

This is the same Howland that offered Love a retired UCLA player's jersey number should he come to his school. Howland will be dealing with plenty of this kid's ego.

He will be great...

..individually. I think his team (1 and done barring trully catastrophic injury) will be a top 25-10 (depending on who comes back) team all year, and then fizzle in the 2nd or 3rd round of the NCAAs. My point was never that he would not be great. Merely that UCLA will not seriously challenge for the NC next year.

I personally do not care about individual stats. I could care less if any Duke player ever has a great individual year unless that is accompanied by team success (to me that means being competitive in the elite 8 at a minimum. Maybe I am spoiled, but high expectations are a must to sustain excellance). Seriously, who here really cares about individual stats or achievments?

Look at Durant at Texas. What has he really done for their program if he leaves this year. No Conf title (regular season or tourney), and an appearance in the round of 32. Next year, TX will have to alter their entire scheme if he leaves, meaning they probably won't have any significant success next year either. Stat-stuffers are only worth it if they push a team to greatness. Otherwise, they are not worth the effort.

Also, he is unanimously regarded as the 2-5 best player in the U.S. As I mentioned, these POY awards are never given to kids who have major discipline problems (Mayo), are percieved as unduly mercenary (Rose), or if their is any negative stigma attached to them (Gordon Recruiting feud). Duhon, McRoberts, and Battier were all National Players of the year, and they were very good to excellant players to be sure, but does anyone believe they were the best nationally. Battier wasn't the best player in his own recruiting class (Brand) and Duhon was clearly not as good as some of his classmates on the court. They were both well spoken kids who were polite, non-thuggy (whatever that means, but no "thuggish" player ever wins HS national POY), and they were academcially minded kids going to one of the Flagship college programs.

Last year, Oden swept the awards instead of Durant, who is clearly a superior individual talent at thie point in their careers, namely because Oden was a stable kid who gave the right answers while playing for a single public high school his entire career. Durant played at three different prep-schools and was percieved as mercenary at each stop. Pure ability on the court is not the only reason a player gets NPOY in HS. Sad (or maybe not), but true. Do not get caught up by Love's awards. Virtually no rankings still have him at the top, and some have him out of the top 5. That is why his comments were so ludicrous.

Love will be great (check that: post great numbers), no doubt. And Duke will have a much better team in March, when it counts.

Patrick Yates
    Last edited by Patrick Yates; 03-27-2007 at 12:29 PM.

From what I've seen on YouTube (FWIW) Love won't be one and done IMHO. He seems to be a better version of Tyler Hansbrough, with slight better vertical than him. His hands seem to be a lot better than Mr. Hans's ones, actually. Anyway I don't think he will ever achieve Hansbrough toughness and focus, nor he'll have a bright future in the League one day.
    His dad's behaviour reminded me of Ken (or Barbie?) Burgess as well.
    That said, I'm glad he didn't pick the Holes and I'm also glad we picked Kyle.

GO DEVILS!!!!!!

Dead on here

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post

He'll be better than Hansbrough, and, at least in Carolina Blue, he'd be at the FT line just as much.
    You are right about this, although this was never really a danger. Roy loves to run, and Love was clear early on that he wanted a team that played physical, half-court basketball, which is why he chose UCLA. The fact that UCLA is thin on talent next year, at least down low, thus opening up nearly unlimited shots for KL, MAY have played a small part in his decision.

That said, Roy has enough talent in place to possibly (probably) overcome the chemistry problems that KL might create and make a serious run at the NC. UCLA does not have that next year (barring everybody comming back to be KL's sidekick). Roy would have liked to have KL, to be sure, but I never felt like Roy put the full on push for KL. It was almost like Roy knew he had to be seen pursuing someone, and that someone was KL. If he came great, but I do not think Roy killed himself going after this kid (Much like K). Maybe they knew, or at least suspected something.

For Howland, Love was a much bigger get, the first real recruiting Coup under Howland regarding a kid with a national rep, espeically a type of kid who is a prototypical big man in Howland's system. Almost a near must get for UCLA, and I feel like UCLA promised him shots, minutes, and instant focus point of team status from Day one.

UNC would never offer anyone that, just like K wouldn't.

Patrick Yates

I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post

Hi,

That's what I thought this thread was about. I am glad he isn't down the road from Duke.

GO DUKE!

You are right in Hans Comparisions.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianDevil411 View Post
    From what I've seen on YouTube (FWIW) Love won't be one and done IMHO. He seems to be a better version of Tyler Hansbrough, with slight better vertical than him. His hands seem to be a lot better than Mr. Hans's ones, actually. Anyway I don't think he will ever achieve Hansbrough toughness and focus, nor he'll have a bright future in the League one day.
    His dad's behaviour reminded me of Ken (or Barbie?) Burgess as well.
    That said, I'm glad he didn't pick the Holes and I'm also glad we picked Kyle.

GO DEVILS!!!!!!
    He is slightly bigger, stronger, more skilled, and has a better leaping ability. My god, Hans's size is his only weakness at 6-9 and 240. KL runs 6-10 and 255. Whereas Hans is undersized for PF, KL is the prototypical PF in the pros, with a better skill set to match, as well as being 3-5 years younger. With the individual numbers he will put up (even as the team dissappoints), the pros will be salivating.

KL has all but admitted that he is one and done.

Patrick Yates

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    Look at Durant at Texas. What has he really done for their program if he leaves this year. No Conf title (regular season or tourney), and an appearance in the round of 32. Next year, TX will have to alter their entire scheme if he leaves, meaning they probably won't have any significant success next year either. Stat-stuffers are only worth it if they push a team to greatness. Otherwise, they are not worth the effort.
    At the very least, Durant kept a string of tourney appearances alive that UT wouldn't have had had he not been there this year. UT was younger than the Michigan fab five teams and not nearly as talented. If Durant's not stuffing the stat sheet, Texas is a below .500 team.

There are gonna be alot of one and doners coming through with the new rule. Some will be positive influences and some will be negative. I don't think you'll find a single Horns fan that think Durant was a negative influence on this team in the way people in the thread are portraying Love to potentially be. People are disappointed in the season's results, but I don't know a single one that regrets Durant coming through for just the one year.

Wow. What Durant did for Texas was make them a viable top 20 team for a year, bring loads and loads of attention to burnt orange basketball, and bridge the gap from losing all their scoring and rebounding to a reloaded team next year that may be better than this year's team with Durant.

Texas would have been just another mediocre Big XII team without Durant. With him, they were fun to watch, played an exciting brand of basketball, and nearly managed to win the Big XII regular season and tournament.

Did he do for Texas what Laettner did for Duke? No. But how many Laettners and Battiers has Duke had? And would Laettner have been a Laettner in today's environment?

I'd take Durant for one year in a heartbeat. I'm not sure Love is worth it, but given the opportunity, I bet Duke would have taken that risk.

Robbing Peter

Did Durant improve Texas? Sure. Would they have had a worse year without him? Sure? Would they have made the tourney without him? Probably not.

How will next year without him be different than this year would have been?

Sure, other players will have a years experience, weight training, etc. But guess what? Those other players are going to have a harder time scoring now that the opposition D no longer has to throw a 2-3 man net around Durant, who was quite adept a scoring anyways or passing out of it. Texas will have to impliment an entirely new gameplan next year, and it will take time for the players to get used to it.

Texas may take some lumps next year without Durant. They may have taken some lumps without him this year, but they would have been better prepared for next year.

Think long term people. If the one and done doesn't deliver in his one year, he may leave behind a decimated team the next. OSU, and KS have great classes coming in next year. UNC had a stable base of talent, and will still be top-25 next year if TH, BW, and TL go pro.

How will TX be any better next year than they would have been this year. They simply staved off a rebuilding (not reloading) year for 1 year, with nothing to show for it.

As for Comparing Durant to Laetner, a 4 year player, what a joke. You are comparing a freshman to perhaps the most accomplished (from a team results standard) player in the modern era.

Lets compare Durant to his classmates and other one and doners:

Oden: Conf. Champ (Reg Season and Tourney), Final Four (perhaps beyond)
    Wright: Conf Champ (shared reg season, tourney) elite eight
    Carmello: National Championship
    Deng: Conf Championship and Final Four

Of those four, only Carmello really compares to Durant, because when he left, the team was still talented but young. They had a few years of less than steller results, but at least they had something to show for it.

Patrick Yates
    Last edited by Patrick Yates; 03-27-2007 at 02:05 PM.

KLove was an admitted huge Duke fan. He is one of the top 2-3 big guys in the country. Duke was/is in obvious need of a post presence. K never seriously pursued him.

You do the math. Something spooked the HELL out of K. It wasn't the 1-and-done nature - Josh could easily have been that, and Greg Monroe may be. It wasn't grades - Love is qualified. It sure isn't lack of athleticism - that hasn't stopped K recently

My guess is that KLove is a total egomaniac, and quite a few of his quotes seem to point in this direction. Dissatisfied with splitting State POY with Singler, whining about lack of attention from K. He even made noises about joining Beasley and Mayo at Kansas State - WTF? My guess is that his father is an even bigger jackass, what with the 'fire the coach' crap, and his playing shoe companies off one another.

Would he have been worth the risk? We'll find out. Given K's experiences in the past decade with these types of situations, and knowing what they can do to team chemistry, I'll trust K on this one.

Love vs Nike

FWIW--KL also had the "situation" with Nike a year or so ago. I don't recall the specifics. But, K made comments that the Love family didn't agree with.