Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lenoir-Rhyne discussion

Any speculation on the second exhibition game? Who starts? Who plays together? Anything else? I don't expect any player to see more than 20 minutes of playing time and L-R has three 6'8" players on the roster so hopefully they can give Plumlee, Thomas and Zoubek some solid competition in the post.
    Bob Green

Lenior Rhyne is a cup cake compared to the Presbyterian College Blue Hose. Coach K knows this fact and is preparing the Duke team for a tough game after the warm up LR game.

I'm hoping, whoever starts at center, that Coach K will try several combinations of Zoubek, Plumlee, Thomas, McClure, and Singler at the 4-5 spots. I'd love to see some experimentation with Zoubek and Plumlee on the floor at the same time. I'd also love to see Pocius and Williams get plenty of minutes.

Chat

is there going to be a chat for tonights game?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Any speculation on the second exhibition game? Who starts? Who plays together? Anything else? I don't expect any player to see more than 20 minutes of playing time and L-R has three 6'8" players on the roster so hopefully they can give Plumlee, Thomas and Zoubek some solid competition in the post.
    Just a little story for the game. Jeff Thomas, a freshman for L-R, played at Northern Durham high school last year. Just a couple miles away from CIS.

We are expecting a good bit of students from Northern to come to the game tonight.

Congratulations to Jeff, and good luck to their team tonight

Does anyone know if it is possible to watch or listen to the game tonight for free on the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by nyr484 View Post
    Does anyone know if it is possible to watch or listen to the game tonight for free on the internet?
    This site often carries basketball and football games.

If I was a betting man I would put my money on Duke. Call me crazy.

Question Pop Quiz, Hotshot!...

...their athletics department has another connection with Duke. Can you name it?

--grad_devil

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    ...their athletics department has another connection with Duke. Can you name it?

--grad_devil
    Fred Goldsmith is their football coach!

"Fred Goldsmith is their football coach!"

Only half the answer.

You win!

You win, jimsumner!

I run into Neil quite a bit on business...all of his associates say bringing up his time at Duke (one game in particular) is a good way to get the cold shoulder

--grad_devil

Any thoughts on the game from people who saw it? All I know is that Brian had 15 points and 8 rebounds and the score was 95-42 Duke, and I jacked that from another board.

Game Tonight

There was no thread up yet, so I am putting this in. It appears that Zoubek used his advantage well tonight and Singler is just great. With all the lineup changes, it is hard to criticize the number of turnovers, but there were over 15, didn't get the last count. It appeared to be a good workout for all, and the starting lineup appears to be Singler, Henderson. With Zoubek's performance tonight, he looks like he would be a viable starter against some teams.

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    Any thoughts on the game from people who saw it? All I know is that Brian had 15 points and 8 rebounds and the score was 95-42 Duke, and I jacked that from another board.
    Game statistics from GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/liveStats/newL..._STAT_ID=99548

I was at the game, it featured a small crowd and some small players to match.

Thoughts on a couple players:

Miles- looked like a freshman a lot tonight. Not bad, just often tentative. Still didn't hurt us, but a step back from the last two performances

Zoubs- solid game, made some moves that were more athletic than anything I remember seeing from him, still struggled with holding on to the ball at points, but really had a nice second half

Singler- quite honestly looked like he didn't belong on the same court as everybody else. He was simply an unfair advantage in a game where Duke didn't need any extra advantages. He drove to the hoop at will, rebounded, had a couple highflying dunks including one alley-oop that he went way up to catch (something I at least had never seen from him before) and then to cap it all off just decided to pull up and nail an NBA 3 in a defenders face late in the game.

Nolan was decent but up and down, Paulus was more consistent but quiet, Gerald rebounded and passed well but wasn't really a factor scoring wise besides one ferocious dunk, Marty and Elliot both had their moments.

All in all a solid effort despite some defensive laxness/gambling early on

Zoubek did some great things on offense. A little lefty hook-shot, some drop-steps, a reverse lay-up, and a really slick backdoor pass that led to a lay-up for Marty. All we need this guy to do is make steady, incremental improvements, and it will make a huge difference for our team.

Singler was sensational, Nolan and EWill had some nice drives. Jon and Gerald pretty quiet.

Play of the game: In the first half, Marty races back downcourt to stuff a breakaway dunk, Battier-style. He got called for a foul, but it was a great play nonetheless.

Mike Krzyzewski was visibly frustrated at at the small size of the crowd at the post-game media conference.

Generally
    1) It was just a very quiet game in which we went about our business. Except for the first 10 minutes, the defense was absolutely great and on offense everything seemed to be a layup because we had so much more size and athleticism (only 17 3pt attempts all game... that's like one half for us normally).
    2) Nobody stuck out because we played so well collectively as a team (and because nobody played a lot of minutes and there was no established rotation of course)
    3) There was very little dribbling on offense once the ball got to the wings... there was just very impressive ball movement for a lot of posession
    4) Although Gerald was quiet he showed signs of improved distribution ability.
    5) Maybe we WILL see the ball go down low to the big man a bit more this season... K wouldn't have called for it (4 or 5 times at least) if he didn't see value in giving Zoubs the in-game reps.

Here is a quick rundown on the players for those who didn't see the game... of course, just one man's opinion:

Zoubek looked good, but I have to say... a lot of those moves down low would have gone the other way for offensive fouls if those guys had fallen down or shuffled their feet a bit. He kept leading with the basket side elbow on pivots and hooking/ elbowing the opponent. He got called for it a lot last year. Still, he had a very nice game.(15 pts)

Kyle was a star and just had a great game. 9-11 from the field and lots of drives to create (22 pts)

Nolan scored a lot, but had some ups and downs running the offense... good defense for most of the game though. (14 pts)

Lance played with the most energy I thought... had one steal for a dunk

Elliot had some trouble with his handle, but took some smart shots after getting a talking too in the first half from K.

Paulus had a quiet consistent game.

Gerald didn't really assert himself much but wasn't bad.

Marty made some of the best plays off the ball to get open, but also probably made the most mistakes.

Miles didn't do anything wrong, but didn't do anything impressive either. He used his enormous height advantage to alter/block a lot of shots.

Jon made some really smart plays but was quiet too.

Czyz got a dunk and a turnover (we might be saying that a lot this year)

Dave had some foul issues but altered a few shots on D with typical smart plays