Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Basketball Rivalries

There is no question that UNC-Duke is the best basketball rivalry in all college sports. Some might say that it is the best rivalry in all of sports, although Red Sox- Yankees, Auburn-Alabama ( in football) , Army-Navy ( in football) , Michigan-Ohio State , Clemson- USC, would have supporters.

I cannot come up with a 2nd basketball rivalry that has anywhere near the intensity of UNC-Duke.

I was thinking Kansas-Missouri, Kentucky- Indiana, Syracuse- UConn, but none of them come close. Any suggestions ?

Louisville - Kentucky

Arizona-ASU - but not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Arizona-ASU - but not in a good way.
    Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    Louisville - Kentucky
    I would disagree with both as each is based only on geography and has no conference standing implication. Duke - UNC is very often for a lot of marbles and thus makes it totally unique. The closest I can think of are UCLA - USC and Michigan - Michigan State, though they both have far less national implication.

In basketball, Kentucky-Louisville is probably second place, and it's still two or three steps behind Duke-UNC. You can mention Xavier-Cincy and the Big 5 too, but that's still not at the same level.

I'll go a step further and say that Alabama-Auburn and Michigan-OSU are the only rivalries that can compete with Duke-UNC in any sport on any level.

"I'll go a step further and say that Alabama-Auburn and Michigan-OSU are the only rivalries that can compete with Duke-UNC in any sport on any level."

In the Pacific Northwest the Oregon-Oregon State rivalry is referred to as the Civil War and that's without any post-modern irony.

And let me add Army-Navy.

I'm not completely sold on the Louisville-Kentucky rivalry. Between 1922 and 1983 they only played 3 times! Also looking at the numbers from recent years, there are a good amount of lopsided victories. Not to mention in four of their last nine games spanning essentially the last decade, neither team was ranked. Granted there were a couple good games, but I don't think that merits second best rivalry in college basketball. I can't think of a good second best rivalry in college basketball today though. Duke vs. anyone else? Carolina vs. anyone else?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentuck...lry#Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Thought about that, but current national relevance in the sport is important to me. If you don't consider quality of the teams themselves a big factor, then I agree.

Unc - ncsu

That's the second best in this conference, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    In basketball, Kentucky-Louisville is probably second place, and it's still two or three steps behind Duke-UNC.
    It's hard to take this one too seriously when fans of one of the schools (UK) harbor more enmity for an unnamed out-of-state school.

In state Kentucky-Louisville is as heated as Duke-UNC, but it certainly doesn't carry the national attention.

"I'll go a step further and say that Alabama-Auburn and Michigan-OSU are the only rivalries that can compete with Duke-UNC in any sport on any level."

In the Pacific Northwest the Oregon-Oregon State rivalry is referred to as the Civil War and that's without any post-modern irony.

I love the UNC/Duke rivalry, obviously, but I think we have to limit our sports to American professional and college sports. If we expand it to any sport at any level, it means we have to consider soccer rivalries (Boca Juniors and River Plate in Argentina may have more mutual hatred on a large scale than anything else on the planet, Brazil and Argentina, "El Classico" between Real Madrid and Barcalona . . . etc). That being said, of the American sports I actually pick Duke/UNC and Auburn/Alabama as the top two because of proximity. Auburn and Alabama grads work in the same office buildings, eat at the same restaurants, take their kids to the same rec football leagues . . . and everyone in the state is on one side or the other. The programs have been either pretty good or really good for large parts of many decades. I know the same can be said for Michigan/Ohio State in terms of quality of the programs, but there's something about going to work the next day knowing that you're going to be ragged by co-workers for the next 364 days after your team loses . . .

"I know the same can be said for Michigan/Ohio State in terms of quality of the programs, but there's something about going to work the next day knowing that you're going to be ragged by co-workers for the next 364 days after your team loses . . ."

Agreed. But you can say the same thing about Clemson-South Carolina, Florida-Florida State, Oregon-Oregon State, Virginia-Virginia Tech, Indiana-Purdue, Washington-Washington State, Mississippi-Mississipi State, et. al.

I've always thought there was some special tension when a state has a state-supported, liberal arts school, e.g. UNC, UVA, South Carolina, and a state-supported Morrill Land-Grant school like NCSU, VT, or Clemson. You can have some real cultural divisions, some real animosities here.

On a national level Alabama-Auburn might be the best example, because the two schools traditionally have football programs that range from good to great, with a healthy dose of rules?-what rules? throw in. But on the local level, this shows up in a lot places.

To veer off course a bit, I've always wondered what it would be like to live in a state that has one dominant university, Nebraska or Minnesota for example. Out-of-state rivals to be sure. But in-state, everybody rooting for the same school. Having lived so long with our in-state rivalries, it seems like this would be boring but what do I know?

Nationally, there's probably nothing that compares.

But regionally, there are lots of heated rivalries. Participants and fans in those rivalries feel pretty much the same way about their rivalries as we do about Duke-UNC, and the lack of national attention doesn't put a damper on the rivalries at all.

Somebody already mentioned Oregon-Oregon St. I'd like to say that BYU-Utah is pretty much the same as Duke-UNC for the people involved (although obviously not as much is at stake nationally). There are probably dozens of others that could only be understood by attending one of the universities involved, or by growing up in the areas involved. Pitt-West Virginia is pretty big, too.

I live in Northern Kentucky, my husband is a Louisville fan (more like a rick pitino fan) and living in the state, I'm not so sure about the UK-Louisville rivalry being the second best. In fact I would venture to say that a UK fan would rather beat a Duke team any day of the week over a Louisville team - not sure that really constitutes a rivalry, rather just an intense hatred. Plus there can be an argument for Indiana being a big rivalry against UK as well.

I also live closer to Cincinnati, and the Xavier/UC game is very much a big deal to the city, but not so much on a national level. Sad it doesn't get the exposure it deserves.

"I know the same can be said for Michigan/Ohio State in terms of quality of the programs, but there's something about going to work the next day knowing that you're going to be ragged by co-workers for the next 364 days after your team loses . . ."

Agreed. But you can say the same thing about Clemson-South Carolina, Florida-Florida State, Oregon-Oregon State, Virginia-Virginia Tech, Indiana-Purdue, Washington-Washington State, Mississippi-Mississipi State, et. al.

I've always thought there was some special tension when a state has a state-supported, liberal arts school, e.g. UNC, UVA, South Carolina, and a state-supported Morrill Land-Grant school like NCSU, VT, or Clemson. You can have some real cultural divisions, some real animosities here.

On a national level Alabama-Auburn might be the best example, because the two schools traditionally have football programs that range from good to great, with a healthy dose of rules?-what rules? throw in. But on the local level, this shows up in a lot places.

To veer off course a bit, I've always wondered what it would be like to live in a state that has one dominant university, Nebraska or Minnesota for example. Out-of-state rivals to be sure. But in-state, everybody rooting for the same school. Having lived so long with our in-state rivalries, it seems like this would be boring but what do I know?
    One dominant (state) university: How about LSU? Any serious in-state rivalries?

In those years when Tulane is up and LSU is down, they have a rivalry. Doesn't happen ofen.

Of course, the best party-school rivalry is something else.

In those years when Tulane is up and LSU is down, they have a rivalry. Doesn't happen ofen.

Of course, the best party-school rivalry is something else.
    In the party-school category, Tulane doesn't even enter into the discussion with LSU. That wouldn't even be close. Like the Lakers against your high school basketball team.

For all of its historical mediocrity on the gridiron, Tulane is still a D-1A (BCS) football program and does have its in-state fan base. I was thinking more about states like Nebraska, where one school has something close to an absolute monoploy on the in-state fan base.

Of all the rivalries out there, it was Duke-UNC that launched ESPN 2.

-jk