Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

North Carolina State at Duke

Duke has opened as a 3.5 point favorite in this Saturday's game against State:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college%...s/las%2Dvegas/

Place your game thoughts here.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Well obviously we have to improve on special teams. But beyond that one given, I just want to see more of the same. I was so impressed with our overall game play and game plan at Wake. We took risks, played soundly, and gave ourselves a chance to win. I think against State, who right now is a less talented team than Wake, we should win soundly. I'm not saying we will, but we should. I'm expecting to walk out Wade with a huge smile Saturday evening.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

State game can be a problem

Experience (well, at least when we played State on an annual basis) has long ago taught me the "predictability" of the NCSU game is just slightly ahead of forecasting the outcome of the game against our friends from Orange Kounty Kommunity Kollege.

I thoroughly agree that Duke has made significant progress this season, and hopefully some bandages can be put on the kicking game before Saturday.

In any case, I fully expect a wild and wooly game against the wolves even though "on paper" Duke should have a decided advantage.

k

This game is not to be taken lightly. Emotions usually play a big part in any football game with NC State. Records and trends seem to mean little once the game starts.

I believe we've got the better coaching staff and that our players continue to progress well in their mastery of a proven system. If the team can execute crisply and precisely, the results will be exciting and should result in a win. Though injuries continue to take a toll, the players who fill in have generally been impressive.

GO DUKE! Beat State!

I was thrilled and surprised to see in Monday's paper (N&O) that Duke is a 4 1/2 point favorite over NCSU! Sounds like we're finally starting to get some respect from the national media/powers that be. Now, we just have to go out and beat the spread. No easy task for our men in Blue, but doable.

Duke/State games have tended to be wild, high scoring affairs over the years, even when we weren't very good. I'm really looking forward to Saturday's game (and tailgate IV).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I expect a high scoring game, back and forth. State's young QB, Wilson, is the highest rated QB in the ACC. State has had a week off to prepare and get healthy. This will be a very tough game.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

My personal thought is that, if we can fix the numerous special teams miscues that we had at Wake, we should be set. State's offense isn't as good as Wake's (when both are working... like Wake last week) and our D is solid. I think it'll be a close game, but it's a favorable matchup for us.

Duke has played more consistently than State, and has a better balance on both sides of the football. State, however, has hung very tough with good teams (BC, FSU)...so they can play. In addition, they're coming off a bye week, so they may be coming in as healthy as they've been all season. Duke had better come in focused and ready.

It's a winnable game for us, and an important step toward two things that must be goals at this point, even if they weren't anticipated to be achievable at the beginning of the season: bowl eligibility, and a .500 or better record.

Our team has definitely made huge strides this season, and I think most of us are simply thrilled by the 4-4 record. But I hope the coaches are impressing on this team one fact that shows both how good they are, and how narrow the margin is between success and failure: one or two miscues less, and we could be 6-2 right now.

We know our guys will play hard. If they also play focused, mistake free football, we should be win this game.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Duke has played more consistently than State, and has a better balance on both sides of the football. State, however, has hung very tough with good teams (BC, FSU)...so they can play. In addition, they're coming off a bye week, so they may be coming in as healthy as they've been all season. Duke had better come in focused and ready.

It's a winnable game for us, and an important step toward two things that must be goals at this point, even if they weren't anticipated to be achievable at the beginning of the season: bowl eligibility, and a .500 or better record.

Our team has definitely made huge strides this season, and I think most of us are simply thrilled by the 4-4 record. But I hope the coaches are impressing on this team one fact that shows both how good they are, and how narrow the margin is between success and failure: one or two miscues less, and we could be 6-2 right now.

We know our guys will play hard. If they also play focused, mistake free football, we should be win this game.
    Heck we don't even need to play mistake-free FB. If we can eliminate 1-2 major mistakes this game, we should wind up with a W. If we make 1 less big mistake in the N'western game (holding) and correct/avoid 1 against WFU (pick one-better KO coverage or the missed FG), we are bowl-eligible with a guaranteed .500 record for the year (WHAT? At Duke?). Shoulda/woulda/coulda but oh-so tantalizingly but frustratingly close.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Heck we don't even need to play mistake-free FB. If we can eliminate 1-2 major mistakes this game, we should wind up with a W. If we make 1 less big mistake in the N'western game (holding) and correct/avoid 1 against WFU (pick one-better KO coverage or the missed FG), we are bowl-eligible with a guaranteed .500 record for the year (WHAT? At Duke?). Shoulda/woulda/coulda but oh-so tantalizingly but frustratingly close.
    Sorry, little pet peeve here, holding was NOT a mistake in the NU game. Thad is getting sacked on that play, not throwing a touchdown if Cameron Goldberg doesn't hold the player. That was not a mistake.

Now there were plenty of mistakes in that game (Some awful special teams work until the last return by Leon Wright salvaged it mostly) but saying Holding was the big game changing mistake is wrong.

In other news, we have to have this game.

With the changes brewing in Knoxville, it's all the more important to show up Saturday and later on November 29 to support our team and the changes Coach Cutcliffe's is bringing to the program.

GO DUKE! Beat State!

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Sorry, little pet peeve here, holding was NOT a mistake in the NU game. Thad is getting sacked on that play, not throwing a touchdown if Cameron Goldberg doesn't hold the player. That was not a mistake.

Now there were plenty of mistakes in that game (Some awful special teams work until the last return by Leon Wright salvaged it mostly) but saying Holding was the big game changing mistake is wrong.

In other news, we have to have this game.
    Sorry, holding is a mistake/penalty and it occurred on a TD throw that is the go ahead score with about 90 seconds left in the game, so it does change the game dramatically. Thad still has the option of taking the sack or throwing it away and saving 10+ yards also. You can also select the snap over the punters head leading to a N'western TD earlier in the game or their 50 yard pass completion when we had them 3rd and long at about their 20 that also led to another N'western TD as big mistakes. The one near the end of the game was a glaring one however.

Sorry, holding is a mistake/penalty and it occurred on a TD throw that is the go ahead score with about 90 seconds left in the game, so it does change the game dramatically. Thad still has the option of taking the sack or throwing it away and saving 10+ yards also.
    Please let me know, but I thought that play with the holding and TD throw was 4th down... so no more chances, and holding was the only option

Sorry, holding is a mistake/penalty and it occurred on a TD throw that is the go ahead score with about 90 seconds left in the game, so it does change the game dramatically. Thad still has the option of taking the sack or throwing it away and saving 10+ yards also. You can also select the snap over the punters head leading to a N'western TD earlier in the game or their 50 yard pass completion when we had them 3rd and long at about their 20 that also led to another N'western TD as big mistakes. The one near the end of the game was a glaring one however.
    Errr, 90 seconds? It was FOURTH DOWN! Did you watch the game? If Goldberg doesn't commit holding, Thad is screwed. Seriously.

But yes, the snap over the punter's head works well.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Please let me know, but I thought that play with the holding and TD throw was 4th down... so no more chances, and holding was the only option
    Nope. Can't remember whether it was down 1, 2 or 3 but we started that 4 down sequence on about the 19 yard line and the penalty backed us up to about the 33 yard line. I am almost certain we had 4th and about 25 for the 1st down and the 4th down pass was thrown over the receivers head/hands on the sidelines and N'western took over on downs with about a minute to go.
    There was also an underthrown pass and perhaps a pass thrown behind a receiver in that sequence, too. I don't think either of those would have been TD passes but probably would have gained 5-10 yards with either one.

Nope. Can't remember whether it was down 1, 2 or 3 but we started that 4 down sequence on about the 19 yard line and the penalty backed us up to about the 33 yard line. I am almost certain we had 4th and about 25 for the 1st down and the 4th down pass was thrown over the receivers head/hands on the sidelines and N'western took over on downs with about a minute to go.
    There was also an underthrown pass and perhaps a pass thrown behind a receiver in that sequence, too. I don't think either of those would have been TD passes but probably would have gained 5-10 yards with either one.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/playby...00150&period=4

It was on 4th down. But we're getting off track here. The point was while one mistake may have cost us the game, lets stop blaming the holding penalty.

Anyhow, Duke should beat NC State, but it should be an interesting game. They haven't really rolled over offensively iirc this year, making it tougher than it looks.

It was on 4th down. But we're getting off track here. The point was while one mistake may have cost us the game, lets stop blaming the holding penalty.

Anyhow, Duke should beat NC State, but it should be an interesting game. They haven't really rolled over offensively iirc this year, making it tougher than it looks.
    Anybody who's followed Duke football for years will tell you the records and trends during the season go out the window when Duke and State play. I expect that it will not only look tough, but the game will be tough.

Everyone got your tickets for Saturday? Coach Cutcliffe has issued a call to fill the stadium with Duke fans in a major blue out.

Will you be there, loran16?

Thanks for the link. Could not find it on goduke. I used that as an example of a mistake, that if avoided, makes a difference in the W or L. You can select one of several in that game, but the later in the game, the more likely it is "game-changing." You can also select one or several in the WFU game that are "game-changing" also and discuss it/them extensively. Ultimately, it's the missed FG, but one less TO, or one more made tackle on a KO return can be used as difference-makers in the result, too. My point was that if we can avoid one (or more) of the several major mistakes we made against WFU, then I really like our chances against state.

Thanks for the link. Could not find it on goduke. I used that as an example of a mistake, that if avoided, makes a difference in the W or L. You can select one of several in that game, but the later in the game, the more likely it is "game-changing." You can also select one or several in the WFU game that are "game-changing" also and discuss it/them extensively. Ultimately, it's the missed FG, but one less TO, or one more made tackle on a KO return can be used as difference-makers in the result, too. My point was that if we can avoid one (or more) of the several major mistakes we made against WFU, then I really like our chances against state.
    This is NC State we're talking about! Our guys will come prepared to play and play well. We've got a superb coaching staff who will definitely have a good game plan in hand with the practices to back it.

I expect this Duke team to have a break out game sometime in November.

I believe the hold v. NW was on third down. The penalty was obvious, the flag was down long before Thad made the pass, and nobody actually thought the score would holdup. But the hold was behind Thad, so I'm not sure if he knew the flag had been thrown.

The big mistake was the play before the hold. Johnny Williams was wide open for an easy TD. Lewis was scrambling, didn't follow through on his throw and it sailed on him.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.