Page 97 of 126 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 2515
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus View Post
    I would not read anything into the fact that John was not in school on a traditional school day. Nowdays, at least in public school where I taught for a few years, seniors often had accumulated enough credits and quite frequently only attended one or two class periods their last semester. Not sure what the policy is at the Word of God private school.
    If you guys think that Word of God is a real academic school, you are fooling yourselves. The NCAA clearinghouse quit accepting transcripts from there for a short period of time in 2006 before they were reinstated.

?????

I agree that we should all wait to pass judgment, but as someone with a great career in front of him filled a ton of money and houses that are worth a whole lot more than this place he should recognize the fact that he needs to keep himself out of trouble. I hope this all goes away for his sake, but even though he is a kid he is a legal adult and needs to conduct himself as one.

Homepage

According to the homepage, it sounds slim that Wall will be in Durham. Hopefully that information is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    According to the homepage, it sounds slim that Wall will be in Durham. Hopefully that information is incorrect.
    Why that's even on there, I have no idea. It basically says "We don't know anything, but Wall won't play at Duke."

The thing that all of us are wondering in the wake of the Wall arrest is -- how does this affect Duke's recruitment of the kid?

Well, I think it is worth noting that John Wall was arrested on April 27th, about a week before this incident was reported in the press. The key factor, as it relates to Duke, may be whether John told Duke and Coach K about the arrest. Was John forthcoming and honest with K about it after it happened or is K learning of this for the first time today, like the rest of us.

If K is only finding out about this today, I would suspect that it would give him real pause about continuing to pursue John Wall. This is the kind of thing that Wall should tell K about RIGHT AWAY.

On the other hand, if Wall told K (and other coaches) about this shortly after it happened and before it leaked to the media, then I see that as a strong sign that the kid has his head on straight.

We shall see which it is but this could turn into a positive and actually alleviate some of the concerns about Wall. how crazy is that?

--Jason "the rush to judgment by some folks is really foolish" Evans

A friend of mine was wandering around some woods near Duke. It was getting to be dusk. He was a senior and getting ready to start med school in the fall. He was with his girlfriend, who was starting law school. They found an overgrown, abandoned, long-in-disuse traintrack, and so he--being romantic and drunk--started a modest fire on the track, reasoning that it was the safest place around for a campfire. All went well until the police arrived, and they were arrested for destroying federal property, which is a federal crime. Both had professional parents, and so the legal teams went to work, and the "crime" was expunged. Admittedly, their actions were not revealed on espn (which hadn't yet been created), but they were 22 yo, not 18, and if they'd been convicted, they would have had a hard time going on to their respective professional schools, but I still see them as reasonable people. Walking into and out of a vacant building--if that's all it is-- would be a nonissue if he weren't a great player.

Ie, if K retains his scholarship offer, I'm behind it 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The thing that all of us are wondering in the wake of the Wall arrest is -- how does this affect Duke's recruitment of the kid?

Well, I think it is worth noting that John Wall was arrested on April 27th, about a week before this incident was reported in the press. The key factor, as it relates to Duke, may be whether John told Duke and Coach K about the arrest. Was John forthcoming and honest with K about it after it happened or is K learning of this for the first time today, like the rest of us.

If K is only finding out about this today, I would suspect that it would give him real pause about continuing to pursue John Wall. This is the kind of thing that Wall should tell K about RIGHT AWAY.

On the other hand, if Wall told K (and other coaches) about this shortly after it happened and before it leaked to the media, then I see that as a strong sign that the kid has his head on straight.

We shall see which it is but this could turn into a positive and actually alleviate some of the concerns about Wall. how crazy is that?

Jason, there are a few different news versions of this timeline, but it seems to me that the most careful accounts of this indicate that he was not arrested, but was detained at the scene and information gathered. A citation for the 4/27 incident was apparently issued last night 5/3.

Not an arrest...a citation, which was issued yesterday.

No info relating to communication between Coach K and Wall, though Wall may have reasonably thought this was not something that needed to be communicated right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    According to one of the news articles, this happened at 12:30 last Monday afternoon. I realize this is no big deal, but shouldn't Wall have been in school at this time instead of hanging out in houses that aren't his??
    If you can overlook the fact that Wall still has not qualified academically, then it is pretty easy to overlook Wall missing a day of school to hang out in houses that aren't his.

Front Page Trustworthy?

I never know if I can trust the front page of this site when it isn't clear what's fact and what's opinion. "Based on what [they've] read and heard" John Wall isn't coming to Duke. Well... does this mean that "Based on the supposed facts regarding Wall's misdemeanor and his character, it is our opinion that Duke won't be his collegiate destination" or "We've heard or read something which directly indicated John Wall is not going to choose Duke? (or Duke is ending its pursuit)". I feel some judging might be present here and I just don't know how to read that.

As completely awful as the headline "breaking and entering" sounds, the fact that there was no forced entry lends slight credibility to the notion that this isn't necessarily a big deal. This is a high school kid after all with high school friends. As ridiculous as it might sound we should wait to see what the story is, because it wouldn't be the first time one kid was unaware of what was going on or mislead my friends (e.g. "This is my uncle's house; he won't care"... only to find out later that the uncle in question actually cared a whole LOT. etc etc And add some underage drinking by anyone present and suddenly you could have adults feigning ignorance. It's far-fetched, but just making a point.) So, sure, it's probably cut-and-dry breaking and entering, but let's wait a moment before declaring anything about this incident.

Could someone refresh my memory...

This incident happened on Monday, April 27. When was the infamous Coach K - John Wall meeting that was suppose to happen but never did because Coach K was "stuck" in NYC for his book tour?

I apologize if I am getting my dates wrong.

I think the meeting was supposed to be April 21st or something like that.

I agree with the calls for not rushing to judgment.

However, I think it's pretty clear based on everything that Wall is not coming to Duke.

I think I agree with Jumbo's post earlier. If it were any one or two of these things, you can explain it away. But it's ALL of these things. Sure, everyone has a story where one of the things Wall has been involved in can be explained away as just a harmless mistake.

Take Shelden for example, yes, he had that one issue, but aside from that he had no other issues, so you can explain that as someone caught at the wrong place at the wrong time.

If this latest were the first signs of concerns with Wall, it would be easy to explain away, but the track record is more than a little disconcerting.

Wall

Wall could have been at school on the 27th. Word of God is right down the road (Rock Quary Rd.) from the house he was detained at. It was lunch time and with a total high school enrollment of 34 students for 4 grades, I'm sure there isn't a cafeteria. Seniors probably can leave for lunch. It was stupid, but I did stupid things when I was 18 too.

Exclamation What does momma think is best for her baby?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Good points.
    As a parent trying to assume Wall's mom's impression, I would look to a program that is close to home, a school with a top rep for class and academics, and a coach and staff and players who would be 1st rate role models for my kid.
    The AAU coach must know that another event like this could cost Wall a lot of money, but momma is thinking that she doesn't want her baby around any program that has punks in it or on the periphery.

Best--Blueprofessor

This misdemeanor B&E citation clearly eliminates Wall from attending any college that doesn't have doming, tunneling or sex in the stax.

Quote Originally Posted by stickdog View Post
    This misdemeanor B&E citation clearly eliminates Wall from attending any college that doesn't have doming, tunneling or sex in the stax.
    I guess you are on tdd also.

Quote Originally Posted by stickdog View Post
    And driving in reverse...

Yeah, I never got how that one was grouped with the others.

So, Wall was supposed to "trim his list of schools" today...

Anybody else think this is what he meant?
    (I kid, of course)

Looking on the bright side

This is what eight coaches are thinking as they read the N&O:

"Damn, this kid can leave school and go to a house three miles away during his lunch hour! That's what I call a fast break!"

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    that there are few jobs harder than raising a boy....sigh...
    Bria Renea Draughn, 16...except raising a girl.