Page 76 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 2515
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Yea, but dropping everything in your life for one guy is a conflicting message to "team first."

Wall is important - I'm sure K has made this clear. Missing a meeting with someone you can meet with at any time isn't a huge deal.
    Also a conflicting message to "team first:"
    Promoting your own book about taking summers away from your team to coach a bunch of pros, rather than meeting with a player who could greatly improve your team.

Quote Originally Posted by fan345678 View Post
    Also a conflicting message to "team first:"
    Promoting your own book about taking summers away from your team to coach a bunch of pros, rather than meeting with a player who could greatly improve your team.
    Sorry to point out your quote as there are many, but I think people may be blowing this out of proportion. I get that this was not a great thing to happen and I'm certainly disappointed that Wall wasn't able to meet with Coach and experience LDOC. That being said, some people here seem to be reading a lot into this about Coach K's priorities. This book tour was planned long in advance and these arrangements are difficult to get out of. Right now the season just ended and finals are approaching. There aren't a lot of team activities going on right now. Likewise, in most years recruiting is done at this point. My point being, when this was scheduled Coach K probably thought this would be the least obtrusive time to do a book tour that his publisher surely required him to do. It just so happens that we're still in it with Wall, which is good, but certainly not foreseen. It's unfortunate that the meeting didn't work out, but these things happen. From all that I've read Wall seems to be a smart kid, so I'm sure he'll understand that sometimes planes get delayed. Do I think this may have a negative impact on his recruitment? Maybe. But lets cut Coach K some slack here. The olympics are over and have been discussed a thousand times. If it weren't for John Wall the book tour wouldn't have mattered and people probably would be pleased that Coach was making appearances on shows like Colbert which younger generations watch. It's a shame the delay happened, but let's not read more into it than is really there.

End coming?

There's an article on Rivals (premium) that quotes Wall, and he says he hopes to reach a decision by next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil07 View Post
    Sorry to point out your quote as there are many, but I think people may be blowing this out of proportion. I get that this was not a great thing to happen and I'm certainly disappointed that Wall wasn't able to meet with Coach and experience LDOC. That being said, some people here seem to be reading a lot into this about Coach K's priorities. This book tour was planned long in advance and these arrangements are difficult to get out of. Right now the season just ended and finals are approaching. There aren't a lot of team activities going on right now. Likewise, in most years recruiting is done at this point. My point being, when this was scheduled Coach K probably thought this would be the least obtrusive time to do a book tour that his publisher surely required him to do. It just so happens that we're still in it with Wall, which is good, but certainly not foreseen. It's unfortunate that the meeting didn't work out, but these things happen. From all that I've read Wall seems to be a smart kid, so I'm sure he'll understand that sometimes planes get delayed. Do I think this may have a negative impact on his recruitment? Maybe. But lets cut Coach K some slack here. The olympics are over and have been discussed a thousand times. If it weren't for John Wall the book tour wouldn't have mattered and people probably would be pleased that Coach was making appearances on shows like Colbert which younger generations watch. It's a shame the delay happened, but let's not read more into it than is really there.
    good points re: recruiting usually being over and this looking like the best time to schedule a tour

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    There's an article on Rivals (premium) that quotes Wall, and he says he hopes to reach a decision by next week.
    He also says he's not doing any more visits after Miami.

Does anyeone else think that whole book siging thing was just a lie. I think Wall did meet with Coach K yesterday and Coach K didn't want the media or students surronding them that he said he was elsewhere. I just don't think Coach K would have blown this off unless something major happen. Wall is now stating he will pick sooner rather than later, isn't he supposed to meet at Duke next week?? Maybe an official announcment?? Man, I am speculating but it would be awesome to get this kid.

7. maybe we have no chance

If the meeting was cancelled or K at least didn't make every effort to make it to meet with Wall, maybe that could mean K knows or is getting signals that we don't have much of a chance. I hope thats not the case but maybe he doesn't think we're really in this so he's not as worried about making every effort to see Wall.

Should never have gotten in

Duke shouldn't have gotten into this one and they should get out quickly. I'm sorry, I understand he's just a kid and he has every right to enjoy the experience as much as he wants. But he's just making the schools involved look bad. Look at the comments recently made about Carolina. The more I see the more I think this just isn't in our best interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    Duke shouldn't have gotten into this one and they should get out quickly. I'm sorry, I understand he's just a kid and he has every right to enjoy the experience as much as he wants. But he's just making the schools involved look bad. Look at the comments recently made about Carolina. The more I see the more I think this just isn't in our best interest.
    Because . . . ?

He's by all accounts a good kid, who's taking a (sensibly) deliberative approach to his decision. He's also by all accounts a dynamic, lightning quick point guard who would be a top-10 (top-5?) pick if he was draft eligible this year. Why again is he not in our best interest?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

While it isn't the end of the world, I do agree with DukeHoopsGuru in that missing the meeting mattered. The kid is eliminating half the schools on his list next week or whatever and I personally believe Duke is one of those schools that is teetering on the fringe of making the cut and not (absolutely no evidence to back this up, just my perception). This incident did not help Duke's cause and Duke doesn't need any recruiting obstacles to begin with.

I'm guessing the people who think K missing the meeting is a small deal are the same people who think everything's fine and well with Duke's recruiting.

In either case, it's not.

I'm going to repeat this:

NOBODY KNOWS if it mattered yet.

If Wall chooses a school before meeting again with K, then yah, K obviously screwed up...big. There is no argument against that really. Face time matters and recruiting is about "developing relationships" in the words of K (especially relationships of trust).

BUT, K might be seeing John Wall again before he decides. He might be the last one to see John, which would work out great and look like a genius move. If this were to happen, regardless of what school he chose, you couldn't fault K for the outcome.

Let's wait and see what happens people...

I am going to watch on TV (or computer) every Duke game next year.
    If John Wall signs with Duke or not, I am going to watch every game.
    If G goes to the NBA or not, I am going to watch every game.
    If (fill in any eventuality you can imagine) I am going to watch every game.

Gee, I wish practice started tomorrow! I am anxious for next year's Duke games.

1500+ posts... about ONE recruit... my god.

I remember a time years ago when this would have been a laughable endeavor. This little neighborhood bar message board has turned in to a Main Street Event.

I like it and I hate it.

Not so fast

Quote Originally Posted by fan345678 View Post
    good points re: recruiting usually being over and this looking like the best time to schedule a tour
    Except for that April 9-12 and 17-22 were part of an open contact period where, even if K was done with 2009 recruiting, could have been meeting with 2010 recruits.

The book tour was poorly timed when looking at the recruiting calendar.

this whole discussion

is becoming ridiculous. we have no actual information. we don't know if the meeting actually occurred or if it really was cancelled. if postponed we don't have any idea whose decision it was or what the context was. yet many of us are happy to speculate about k's loyalty, team playerness, judgment, etc. wall says he's going to decide in a week. in the meantime, i think everyone should just calm down and take a time out.

moderators, is there a precedent for temporarily stopping a thread before turning it back on later?

anyone stop to think that maybe clifton/wall called the meeting off?

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    While it isn't the end of the world, I do agree with DukeHoopsGuru in that missing the meeting mattered. The kid is eliminating half the schools on his list next week or whatever and I personally believe Duke is one of those schools that is teetering on the fringe of making the cut and not (absolutely no evidence to back this up, just my perception). This incident did not help Duke's cause and Duke doesn't need any recruiting obstacles to begin with.

I'm guessing the people who think K missing the meeting is a small deal are the same people who think everything's fine and well with Duke's recruiting.

In either case, it's not.
    Count me in as one of those people. Though we for some reason haven't been able to get a Battier, Burgess, Brand class every year. Have you seen our class for 2010? Oh yeah, we also have 2 very good recruits coming in next year (no, not Wall, Henry, Bradley, Cousins or Favors, but in the next tier). Oops, sorry have to end this quickly, I think I just saw a piece of the sky coming apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    Except for that April 9-12 and 17-22 were part of an open contact period where, even if K was done with 2009 recruiting, could have been meeting with 2010 recruits.

The book tour was poorly timed when looking at the recruiting calendar.
    Excellent point, but, perhaps, we can blame the publisher for not putting it off for two weeks.

Without Wall and Henderson, our next best chance at a Final Four may come in the 2011-12 season.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Count me in as one of those people. Though we for some reason haven't been able to get a Battier, Burgess, Brand class every year. Have you seen our class for 2010? Oh yeah, we also have 2 very good recruits coming in next year (no, not Wall, Henry, Bradley, Cousins or Favors, but in the next tier). Oops, sorry have to end this quickly, I think I just saw a piece of the sky coming apart.
    Agreed.

And we can blame K too.

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    Excellent point, but, perhaps, we can blame the publisher for not putting it off for two weeks.

Without Wall and Henderson, our next best chance at a Final Four may come in the 2011-12 season.
    He'd have some control over the scheduling of the tour.