Page 7 of 126 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Wink Message to others

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "The big three is a misnomer: two are potential lottery picks, the other is not"

Tell that to Mike Krzyzewski. He's the one who used the term.

Just curious would the term "big three" have applied to Jason Williams, Mike Dunleavy, and Carlos Boozer in 2002? After all, only two were lottery picks.

BTW, you're probably right about Scheyer's number not being retired. On the other hand, how likely was a retirement ceremony for Shelden Williams or Shane Battier after their sophomore seasons?
    When I read the quote from K, I thought it was a not-so-subtle challenge to Greg and maybe Nolan to become a real star on the team. Not that K would ever use psychological ploys...........

sagegrouse

Clarification...

Quote Originally Posted by bludvlman View Post
    considering we got to the national championship game with our last two one and done's (Maggette,Deng) I'm find with it. If Gerald and Kyler come back and we can get Wall we will be ready for another banner in Cameron.
    We did get to the 1999 national championship game against U-Con with Maggette.
    However, we only made the national semifinals against U-Con in 2004 with Deng.

Regardless of whether Wall attends Duke for one year, or not at all, I'm going with our current 08-09 team to have a great shot at getting to the Final Four in Detroit, where anything can happen...how about beating U-Con this time?

5 years is too long for a Duke Final Four absence!

Quote Originally Posted by DU Band Prez 88 View Post
    5 years is too long for a Duke Final Four absence!
    Gosh, it seems like it was only last year.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2008/11/12/l...ott-john-wall/

Zags coming through again with the info

Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    If Wall comes to Duke, he will play a lot no matter who stays or leaves. He's the number one prospect in the country and one who the experts seem to think is college ready right now. Obviously every high school player has a lot to learn when he goes up to the next level, but the Derrick Rose and Eric Gordon type talents are going to play.

Also, I'm not sure why you think Wall would be taking Nolan's minutes. Nolan can obviously play either guard spot and possibly the 3 as well if Duke goes small. Plus he doesn't have to be an upgrade over anybody. If Wall is here and K goes with the lots-of-guys-play-25-minutes sort of rotation then both Wall and Nolan (and probably Williams, too) are going to play top minutes.
    If Wall comes next year, I see him taking the significant number of minutes that Paulus currently has. Pocius and Williams can share with Scheyer and Henderson if both are still here. Makes us better and bullet proof at the same time. The following year if Wall was still here we have room for two guards in Thorton and if we get lucky Knight, since Scheyer, Hendersoon and Pocius will all be going.

If we land Wall that would be an amazing coup. Reminds me when we stole Jason Williams from Rutgers after Nelson commited to UF (always UF!!). We need some backcourt help next year. Nolan Smith can't do it all and guys like Scheyer are not play makers in the true sense of being a PG.

A Coup? You forget we're Duke. A kid coming out of southeast Raleigh and having the chance to go through life with a Duke degree is a terrific opportunity. I hope he makes the right choice if he's lucky enough to be offered and play for the Coach of our nations Gold Metal Olympic Team.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    A Coup? You forget we're Duke. A kid coming out of southeast Raleigh and having the chance to go through life with a Duke degree is a terrific opportunity. I hope he makes the right choice if he's lucky enough to be offered and play for the Coach of our nations Gold Metal Olympic Team.
    "Right choice"? "Lucky enough to be offered"? Do you live in fantasy land? It's declarations like these that make the rest of the world think Duke fans are arrogant.

This is the number one basketball prospect in the country. Who has, from everything I've seen and read, made it pretty clear he doesn't intend to get a degree from anywhere. So, while Duke may have a somewhat better academic reputation than the other schools he's considering, they're all pretty decent basketball programs. I agree with the original poster that Duke and its fans will be quite fortunate if we land the kid. Although, at the risk of "forget[ting] we're Duke," I believe it's a long shot.

Mason Plumlee LOI

Why is it that Mason Plumlee is yet to sign his LOI? Will he do this soon? Also, is John Wall a total shot in the dark or is he really considering coming here?

I don't believe that people Mason's year sign LOIs till later in the year though I am unsure of this.

Regardless, with Miles here, there is little if anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    I don't believe that people Mason's year sign LOIs till later in the year though I am unsure of this.

Regardless, with Miles here, there is little if anything to worry about.
    I believe Mr. Watson would disagree on this point.
    http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1294
    Maybe he did sign the letter... I'm not sure what the deal is, but my guess is that we have no reason to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by footballfan2 View Post
    Nolan Smith can't do it all and guys like Scheyer are not play makers in the true sense of being a PG.
    Jon Scheyer had the best assists/turnover ratio on the team last season. Through two games this season, he has dished out 10 assists against one turnover. He is arguably the best play maker on the team.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Jon Scheyer had the best assists/turnover ratio on the team last season. Through two games this season, he has dished out 10 assists against one turnover. He is arguably the best play maker on the team.
    Completely agree. You could make a case for him being the PG for this team, but obviously he's better-suited as a SG with Smith and Paulus playing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    sorry but disagree. Numbers don't tell the whole story. I believe Magic Johnson had a terrible Assist to TO ratio... yet he's one of the best PGs in history. We need a guy in the mold of Hurley and Jason Williams. Guys that can break down his defender, penetrate, score or dish. Imagine how much more potent your offense is if you have a guy who can do that.

If Nolan can learn to see the floor better and develop his passing game he can become that player.

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    If Nolan can learn to see the floor better and develop his passing game he can become that player.
    i'm not saying he can't but... who then? What if Smith fouls out or gets injured? Who's our PG back-up?

Maybe Singler can play point guard too.

i'm not saying he can't but... who then? What if Smith fouls out or gets injured? Who's our PG back-up?
    Who was Hurley's backup on two national championship teams? Who was Jason Williams' backup his freshman year? There is absolutely no reason why Jon Scheyer can't handle the point, especially on a team with another point guard.

Back on point...

This thread has gone from the John Wall recruitment to arguing who is the better pg Smith or Scheyer...SO to get in back on track....The question that keeps getting ignored is whether or not John Wall is seriously considering Duke or are we seriously considering him. I guess due to the lack of responses to this question, nobody really knows at this point.

Are you suggesting we need two Bobby Hurleys or Jason Williamses? Do you think someone of that skill level would be satisfied being a backup? If Nolan gets hurt or in foul trouble, I think Paulus and Scheyer (this year) or Scheyer and Williams (next year) will be more than adequate backups.

That said, I agree that having good handle and being a good passer doesn't necessarily make you a good point guard -- the guy in charge of making the offense run and initiating most of the plays. I think of Scheyer as a shooting guard who happens to also have ballhandling and passing skills.