Page 6 of 126 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Where would John Wall rank among Duke's best recruits?

I recently read on "Ask Jerry Meyers your questions" on RIVALS.com that he believes John Wall is better than Derrick Rose at similar points in their careers. To paraphrase, he thinks Wall is a tad quicker, a better passer, and better finisher especially w/ the left hand than Rose. That is a bold statement but it is coming from a guy who makes a living following high school basketball, so it must mean something.

I personally think John Wall is a longshot but a possibility. If we were to land him, where would he rank among Duke's best* recruits?

*combination of talent, expectations, hype

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    I recently read on "Ask Jerry Meyers your questions" on RIVALS.com that he believes John Wall is better than Derrick Rose at similar points in their careers. To paraphrase, he thinks Wall is a tad quicker, a better passer, and better finisher especially w/ the left hand than Rose. That is a bold statement but it is coming from a guy who makes a living following high school basketball, so it must mean something.

I personally think John Wall is a longshot but a possibility. If we were to land him, where would he rank among Duke's best* recruits?

*combination of talent, expectations, hype
    Some that come to my mind...

Luol Deng
    Elton Brand
    Chris Burgess

Some that come to my mind...

Luol Deng
    Elton Brand
    Chris Burgess
    Actually Jason Williams is the first thing that pops into my mind...

"Ryan [Kelly] definitely doesn't look like a basketball player,"

said John Wall,

"But I learned that looks are deceiving when I practiced with him just one time. I knew he could be one of the top players in the country, and he is. I'm proud of him."

shouldnt we wait...

Shouldnt we wait and see how this plays out before we invest too much hope and energy into this recruiting game?

Like with near misses in the recent past... and we are getting in the game late for his services... lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.

If we hype it and hype cuz we want this really good player and he chooses another option I think it will add to the already skewed recruiting perception.

Im not sure I can keep living thru that.

Shaun Livingston, Johnny D, Grant Hill.

If hype is part of the criteria (which I don't think it should be), then recent recruits that hold out for a long time would be considered the "best" (lots more national attention is placed on high school players than in decades past with the internet, recruiting services, etc.). Even somebody like LT had a lot of hype since he held out so long...obviously, nowhere near the talent level though. Randolph too...major recruiting battles for him.

There have been so many high touted recruits in recent years. Since just 2002, the following were ranked as top three in the nation at his position, according to scout: JJ, Shelden, Luol, Livingston, McRoberts, Paulus, Boateng, Scheyer, Singler, and Kelly.

But, yeah, this is way premature...we haven't even offered him yet (as far as I know)!

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Shouldnt we wait and see how this plays out before we invest too much hope and energy into this recruiting game?

Like with near misses in the recent past... and we are getting in the game late for his services... lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.

If we hype it and hype cuz we want this really good player and he chooses another option I think it will add to the already skewed recruiting perception.

Im not sure I can keep living thru that.
    get a grip

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Shaun Livingston, Johnny D, Grant Hill.

If hype is part of the criteria (which I don't think it should be), then recent recruits that hold out for a long time would be considered the "best" (lots more national attention is placed on high school players than in decades past with the internet, recruiting services, etc.). Even somebody like LT had a lot of hype since he held out so long...obviously, nowhere near the talent level though. Randolph too...major recruiting battles for him.

There have been so many high touted recruits in recent years. Since just 2002, the following were ranked as top three in the nation at his position, according to scout: JJ, Shelden, Luol, Livingston, McRoberts, Paulus, Boateng, Scheyer, Singler, and Kelly.

But, yeah, this is way premature...we haven't even offered him yet (as far as I know)!
    You're right, it probably shouldn't be.

get a grip
    whatev, dude.
    If he winds up not coming, dont go getting all bent out of shape..

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Many posters assume that Hendo will leave next year. He would have to improve a bunch, in my opinion, to go to the NBA next year. I hope he improves that much, but I would like him to stay. Is he a good student? What advice would his father give him?
    Ummm... Be ready to be impressed with G this year.

He doesn't HAVE to go pro - but he's considered one of the ACC's best prospects right NOW.

He's a captain for the Duke Univ. basketball team. I think that requires being at LEAST a decent student.

And you would probably need to ask his dad that last question. If I were his dad I would tell him not to rush things - enjoy school. However, he has the ability to be a lottery pick and with a great year it will be hard to say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    And personally, I think that with a year or two of experience and development, Nolan will turn into a starting NBA pg one day.
    Markie did it in a summer.

Nolan vs. Wall

SupaDave makes a valid point, one that I strongly considered throwing in to my original post.

I still question Wall's immediate inclusion into the starting lineup. Even if G goes pro, I still don't see a guaranteed starting lineup. Right now, Wall is all potential. And that potential is way up there. But he is not a perfect player. One of his negatives is that he plays out of control, another is his outside shot. And his defensive effort has been up and down.

He has spent his career playing PG, and has the skills down. Nolan hasn't. I think a lot of people are comparing Wall's high potential with what they remember of Nolan's Up-and-down Frosh year. A year where he spent relatively little time actually running the point. It is hard, and speculative, but we have to consider where Nolan will be next season.

Nolan will spend this year playing PG. He will learn from both the staff and Greg Paulus. Whatever faults Greg has, he is a font of valuable info and experience. Nolan will soak it up. And this is the first time Nolan has ever played PG extensively. Throughout HS he played SG. Part of this was because he was always on a team with a star PG. Part of this was that I think Nolan expected to grow more. He has huge feet for a kid his size. His dad was tall, and Nolan hit his current height relatively early. I think he expected to grow to 6-5 or better based on an interview from his Jr year. It never happened, so he had to add PG skills to the SG skills he had always honed.

Wall has great size for the position and is a great athlete. Nolan has good to great size for the position and is a great athlete. Nolan is a better shooter and defender. Wall is probably a better passer. At least, he is a better passer in the full court run and gun. Most analysts say Wall needs to work on his half-court game. Both are great penetrators, and if Wall has an advantage in penetrating, it is probably statistically insignificant.

So, right now, Wall is probably a better passer/team runner than Smith. Do you think that might change this year? Nolan will have a year running a top notch college team against top notch competition. I think he will really improve this year.

Wall may be better as a team runner, but Nolan's vastly superior Defensive skills, and better shooting ability, negate that difference. Combined with Nolan's familiarity with the system after two years, and I don't see Wall, or anyone supplanting him. Heck, Nolan could well be one of the top PGs in the nation as a Jr.

A lot of this hinges on Gerald. If he returns, I don't see Wall cracking the starting lineup. Smith, Scheyer, Hendo, Singler, and Plum will start.

Should Hendo leave, it is possible for Wall to start. Scheyer would move to Hendo's spot, and the SG position would be up for grabs between Wall and Williams. Wall might have the edge, but who knows where Elliot will be next year? No guarantees there. Also, Scheyer will spend a lot of time at SG in such a scenario. Singler, Kelly, both Plums, Thomas, and Zoubs would largely eat up most minutes down there. Kelly and Singler could play big minutes at the three, really causing matchup problems. Heck, Scheyer might only play a few minutes at SF, because Duke would have the ability to go "big" at both forwards and the center.

Now, if Duke has a huge year and loses BOTH Hendo and Singler (highly unlikely, but possible), then Wall would probably play a lot next year.

My basic point was that I do not see Wall as a definite upgrade over any guard currently on our roster. He definitely won't play over Scheyer, and probably not over Smith. He might play over Williams, but Williams could really improve this year, so who knows?

one thing I haven't heard, was Wall at the game last night?

Now, if Duke has a huge year and loses BOTH Hendo and Singler (highly unlikely, but possible), then Wall would probably play a lot next year.

My basic point was that I do not see Wall as a definite upgrade over any guard currently on our roster. He definitely won't play over Scheyer, and probably not over Smith. He might play over Williams, but Williams could really improve this year, so who knows?
    If Wall comes to Duke, he will play a lot no matter who stays or leaves. He's the number one prospect in the country and one who the experts seem to think is college ready right now. Obviously every high school player has a lot to learn when he goes up to the next level, but the Derrick Rose and Eric Gordon type talents are going to play.

Also, I'm not sure why you think Wall would be taking Nolan's minutes. Nolan can obviously play either guard spot and possibly the 3 as well if Duke goes small. Plus he doesn't have to be an upgrade over anybody. If Wall is here and K goes with the lots-of-guys-play-25-minutes sort of rotation then both Wall and Nolan (and probably Williams, too) are going to play top minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    one thing I haven't heard, was Wall at the game last night?
    No, he canceled the visit. That's probably a good thing as he wouldn't have been impressed with Cameron last night apparently.

SupaDave makes a valid point, one that I strongly considered throwing in to my original post.

I still question Wall's immediate inclusion into the starting lineup. Even if G goes pro, I still don't see a guaranteed starting lineup. Right now, Wall is all potential. And that potential is way up there. But he is not a perfect player. One of his negatives is that he plays out of control, another is his outside shot. And his defensive effort has been up and down.

He has spent his career playing PG, and has the skills down. Nolan hasn't. I think a lot of people are comparing Wall's high potential with what they remember of Nolan's Up-and-down Frosh year. A year where he spent relatively little time actually running the point. It is hard, and speculative, but we have to consider where Nolan will be next season.

Nolan will spend this year playing PG. He will learn from both the staff and Greg Paulus. Whatever faults Greg has, he is a font of valuable info and experience. Nolan will soak it up. And this is the first time Nolan has ever played PG extensively. Throughout HS he played SG. Part of this was because he was always on a team with a star PG. Part of this was that I think Nolan expected to grow more. He has huge feet for a kid his size. His dad was tall, and Nolan hit his current height relatively early. I think he expected to grow to 6-5 or better based on an interview from his Jr year. It never happened, so he had to add PG skills to the SG skills he had always honed.

Wall has great size for the position and is a great athlete. Nolan has good to great size for the position and is a great athlete. Nolan is a better shooter and defender. Wall is probably a better passer. At least, he is a better passer in the full court run and gun. Most analysts say Wall needs to work on his half-court game. Both are great penetrators, and if Wall has an advantage in penetrating, it is probably statistically insignificant.

So, right now, Wall is probably a better passer/team runner than Smith. Do you think that might change this year? Nolan will have a year running a top notch college team against top notch competition. I think he will really improve this year.

Wall may be better as a team runner, but Nolan's vastly superior Defensive skills, and better shooting ability, negate that difference. Combined with Nolan's familiarity with the system after two years, and I don't see Wall, or anyone supplanting him. Heck, Nolan could well be one of the top PGs in the nation as a Jr.

A lot of this hinges on Gerald. If he returns, I don't see Wall cracking the starting lineup. Smith, Scheyer, Hendo, Singler, and Plum will start.

Should Hendo leave, it is possible for Wall to start. Scheyer would move to Hendo's spot, and the SG position would be up for grabs between Wall and Williams. Wall might have the edge, but who knows where Elliot will be next year? No guarantees there. Also, Scheyer will spend a lot of time at SG in such a scenario. Singler, Kelly, both Plums, Thomas, and Zoubs would largely eat up most minutes down there. Kelly and Singler could play big minutes at the three, really causing matchup problems. Heck, Scheyer might only play a few minutes at SF, because Duke would have the ability to go "big" at both forwards and the center.

Great post.

Many people thought that if Duke landed Kenny Boynton, he would start from day one. As good as Boynton is, no way he would of started over Jr. Nolan Smith, Sr. Jon Scheyer, and Sr. Gerald Henderson. He would need Henderson to go pro, and even then So. Elliot Williams could still start over him. Heck, I think even 5th yr Sr. Marty Pocius could hold his own against Fr. Kenny Boynton. I don't hear too much praise regarding Boynton's defensive skills and we all know Marty can score.

However, it is much more difficult to imagine a player like John Wall coming off the bench. Wall is not all-potential. He is a consensus top 1-2 recruit. Many believe he will be better than Derrick Rose, and that is saying a whole lot. Can you imagine Derrick Rose coming off Duke's bench?

But who would he start over?

You're absolutely right about Nolan Smith. I agree with you that after a year of experience running the point, he will be one of the best point guards in the nation by the time Wall arrives to college. Nolan starts.

I can't see Coach K using Sr. Jon Scheyer in a 6th man role again, even if he did well in that role. Jon is one of our "Big 3" and I'm surprised I haven't read any mention of him getting his #30 retired one day. NBA scouts think he has a chance to play in the league, and if he continues to improve and wins in March, it may happen. Jon starts.

Anyone who thinks Sr. Gerald Henderson is coming off the bench behind Fr. John wall is an idiot. Gerald starts.

This makes me think. Do we really have a shot of landing John Wall if Gerald does not go pro? I guess it wouldn't matter that much since we wouldn't need him with the guys we would have coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    No, he canceled the visit. That's probably a good thing as he wouldn't have been impressed with Cameron last night apparently.
    my thoughts exactly.

Great post.

Many people thought that if Duke landed Kenny Boynton, he would start from day one. As good as Boynton is, no way he would of started over Jr. Nolan Smith, Sr. Jon Scheyer, and Sr. Gerald Henderson. He would need Henderson to go pro, and even then So. Elliot Williams could still start over him. Heck, I think even 5th yr Sr. Marty Pocius could hold his own against Fr. Kenny Boynton. I don't hear too much praise regarding Boynton's defensive skills and we all know Marty can score.

However, it is much more difficult to imagine a player like John Wall coming off the bench. Wall is not all-potential. He is a consensus top 1-2 recruit. Many believe he will be better than Derrick Rose, and that is saying a whole lot. Can you imagine Derrick Rose coming off Duke's bench?

You're absolutely right about Nolan Smith. I agree with you that after a year of experience running the point, he will be one of the best point guards in the nation by the time Wall arrives to college. Nolan starts.

I can't see Coach K using Sr. Jon Scheyer in a 6th man role again, even if he did well in that role. Jon is one of our "Big 3" and I'm surprised I haven't read any mention of him getting his #30 retired one day. NBA scouts think he has a chance to play in the league, and if he continues to improve and wins in March, it may happen. Jon starts.

Anyone who thinks Sr. Gerald Henderson is coming off the bench behind Fr. John wall is an idiot. Gerald starts.

This makes me think. Do we really have a shot of landing John Wall if Gerald does not go pro? I guess it wouldn't matter that much since we wouldn't need him with the guys we would have coming back.
    1) There is no way Scheyer is getting his number retired.
    2) The big three is a misnomer: two are potential lottery picks, the other is not.
    3) Kenny Boynton is an in-your-face defender. If you think he wouldn't have played a lot more than Pocius, you've got to actually watch these kids play before making ridiculous evaluations. Realistically, Pocius very well might be playing in Europe next year.
    4) It is very possible that both Singler and Henderson won't be here next year. After Deng abandoned ship, Krzyzewski mentioned that henceforth he wanted the players to express their plans, so that they could plan accordingly.

Great post.

I don't agree.

1st...I think K feels pretty sure Gerald is going pro. IMO it's the main reason he is going so hard after a 1 and done star player immediately after KB chose Florida.

2nd...Wall doesn't go somewhere unless he's extremely confident he will start or play around 30 minutes. His goal is the NBA...if he comes to Duke that means he knows the PT and probably starting is available.

Most likely...IMO...if Wall comes to Duke it goes...

PG - Wall
    SG - Nolan
    SF - Scheyer

with Elliot and Marty seeing good time.

"The big three is a misnomer: two are potential lottery picks, the other is not"

Tell that to Mike Krzyzewski. He's the one who used the term.

Just curious would the term "big three" have applied to Jason Williams, Mike Dunleavy, and Carlos Boozer in 2002? After all, only two were lottery picks.

BTW, you're probably right about Scheyer's number not being retired. On the other hand, how likely was a retirement ceremony for Shelden Williams or Shane Battier after their sophomore seasons?