Page 55 of 126 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2515
    Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    I'm really worried about the last line (his quote about really looking at North Carolina)...
    I wouldn't. He's from the area, I'm sure he's seen a LOT of UNC. Just wants to hear Ol' Roy's spill...

I think it is safe to say that if he gets an offer that matches Duke's offer he is going to UNC. If Wall goes there and G leaves, power is back at UNC. This sucks!!!

On the flip side

Everyone is anointing Wall as a program changer and leading them to the FF and even a championship. Well he did not do it for his high school team. As the nations best point guard you would think he would be able to do so. And as someone else pointed out, unc will be young next year. With an even younger point guard it seems to me that reaching such a high level of play would be harder than say at Duke where he would be surrounded by more experienced players. )Especially if Gerald stays). I trust Coach K and I believe he will do what's necessary to get Duke back to FF days. Anyway this is Master's week. It's golf season. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueinBlo View Post
    I think it is safe to say that if he gets an offer that matches Duke's offer he is going to UNC. If Wall goes there and G leaves, power is back at UNC. This sucks!!!
    Offer? Are you implying something under the table?

When did the Duke fanbase acquire so many chicken littles?

It's one thing to realistically assess the strengths and weaknesses of the program, it's another to run around screaming "we're dooooooomed" at every drop of the hat.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    Giglio (April 3):
    "Roy Williams' decision to call John Wall is not only a desperate move but the epitome of the eternal "Can you top this?" contest between Duke and Carolina I referenced in Duke's pursuit of Wall last week."

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...ate-act-by-unc

People on this board were quick to point out Giglio's criticism of Duke as desperate for recruiting Wall. I wonder why, in five days, no one has mentioned that Giglio called carolina desperate as well. (I suppose that would not contribute to the everyone hates Duke persecution complex that seems to permeate this bulletin board.)
    Thanks for the update. I hadn't mentioned it because I hadn't read it. (I only visit the Duke section of the N&O )
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    It's getting hard to read through this thread and find facts, but there is plenty of doom and gloom moving in.
    Thanks, Watzone, for your rational words. Frankly, I would modify your statement to say "it's getting hard to read through this thread." Period.

I feel good about next year. I feel good about the year after that. I'd love to get Wall but don't think the world will end if we don't. I don't give a d*mn about Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

It's one thing to realistically assess the strengths and weaknesses of the program, it's another to run around screaming "we're dooooooomed" at every drop of the hat.
    Amen brother.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

yes, but do people really see and understand the weaknesses of the program. i think some people do, but others appear to look at things with such rose-colored glasses.

You could create a derivatives market with the amount of trouble people are borrowing in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    Giglio (April 3):
    "Roy Williams' decision to call John Wall is not only a desperate move but the epitome of the eternal "Can you top this?" contest between Duke and Carolina I referenced in Duke's pursuit of Wall last week."

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...ate-act-by-unc

People on this board were quick to point out Giglio's criticism of Duke as desperate for recruiting Wall. I wonder why, in five days, no one has mentioned that Giglio called carolina desperate as well. (I suppose that would not contribute to the everyone hates Duke persecution complex that seems to permeate this bulletin board.)
    maybe it's because there wasn't a headline saying it was a "desperate act"
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Well he did not do it for his high school team. As the nations best point guard you would think he would be able to do so.
    This is faulty logic. While I agree that Wall does not immediately equal final four he is still a very good player capable of changing teams. Word of God lost at the buzzer in the championship despite a great game (at least stat-wise) by Wall. If we follow the logic above, we should only recruit high schoolers on championship teams. High school success (especially HS championships) does not necessarily translate into college success. A great player can still play for an average team and many great teams do not make it to championships.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2009/04/04/4105901.htm

click Skip Welcome screen (top right) after clicking the link above

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus09 View Post
    This is faulty logic. While I agree that Wall does not immediately equal final four he is still a very good player capable of changing teams. Word of God lost at the buzzer in the championship despite a great game (at least stat-wise) by Wall. If we follow the logic above, we should only recruit high schoolers on championship teams. High school success (especially HS championships) does not necessarily translate into college success. A great player can still play for an average team and many great teams do not make it to championships.
    I have not seen Wall play in person this year. However those that have tell me he has the qualities to be one of the best to play that position. Those same people are worried about how he plays the game. He at times plays out of control and needs work on his outside shot. From what I've heard him say about the schools he is considering he has made a point he wants to play for a coach that will let him play his game. I cannot imagine a freshmen point guard playing out of control for Coach K and not being set down to get his head in the game. Duke will not go down the tubes if we do not get him. It could be it's not meant to be. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Before some of you turn this thread into another emotional meltdown, please think about waiting to jump off cliffs and let recruiting play out.
    Watzone, I appreciate the call for calmer emotions. I know I'm on pins and needles because I do sincerely believe that Wall to Duke makes us huge contenders for a title, and I also believe that Wall to UNC is a devastating blow no matter how it's spun. So to me the stakes are as high right now as they have been for many, many years as far as Duke/UNC recruiting. No, Duke won't go in the crapper if we don't land this kid. I'm not suggesting otherwise. But I'm also not Pollyanna enough to blow it off if we do lose him (especially to UNC) and act like it's not a huge deal.

When the clouds cleared to reveal a BRIGHT Baby Blue sky

The big issue is not if we get wall, but happens if we do not get Wall and Bledsoe? What type of team will we be? Are we going to have to play slower half court ball? What do we do if the worst comes to pass?

Roy's not recruiting Wall

Quote Originally Posted by billybean View Post
    http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2009/04/04/4105901.htm

click Skip Welcome screen (top right) after clicking the link above
    he's just calling John Wall "to check in and see how he's doing"... i am sure he does this with all HS players, not just No 1. PGs...

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    yes, but do people really see and understand the weaknesses of the program. i think some people do, but others appear to look at things with such rose-colored glasses.
    Or Duke-blue colored glasses haha. I'll co-sign this.

While I believe Duke is still a darn good program, there's nobody on this board that is going to convince me we're currently getting the caliber of recruits that we have in the past.

And if you truly believe that we are (and I know some of you on here do), then you need to take those glasses off.

quiet period

Quote Originally Posted by dgoore97 View Post
    he's just calling John Wall "to check in and see how he's doing"... i am sure he does this with all HS players, not just No 1. PGs...
    somebody said earlier this is a quiet period. Was it a quiet period when Ol' Roy called? If so, it can't be enough to simply say that it wasn't a recruiting call, just like when Bill Self "accidentally" ran into Wall.