Page 54 of 126 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2515
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    It currently looks like it's getting a solid 5,000-10,000 per day, so I'm going to guess between 200,000-250,000. Let's see UK/UNC match that...
    Yeah... I mean, I haven't seen this much hand-wringing over a recruit since Lance Thomas.
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    That said, he will still be one of the best PG in the country next year.
    no, he's THE best PG prospect in the country

Yes but a 5 star PG is a little different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Yeah... I mean, I haven't seen this much hand-wringing over a recruit since Lance Thomas.
    (shaking head) impractical dreams and aspirations, meet MulletMan's foot, foot, dreams.

Now that Meeks is testing the NBA waters and Patterson might, I wonder where UK falls on Wall's list if both of them jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus09 View Post
    Now that Meeks is testing the NBA waters and Patterson might, I wonder where UK falls on Wall's list if both of them jump.
    The word on the street is that Williams is now starting to recruit John Wall to UNC. If Patterson and Meeks go, that may work against UK, but may not work in favor of us. It is very possible that UNC backdoors their way into getting Wall.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The word on the street is that Williams is now starting to recruit John Wall to UNC. If Patterson and Meeks go, that may work against UK, but may not work in favor of us. It is very possible that UNC backdoors their way into getting Wall.
    God, that would hurt so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    God, that would hurt so bad.
    Yes, that would displease me immensely.

Word is that Wall was interested in UNC all along, but didn't want to deal with such matters directly and let his "handler" deal with it all. His handler is his AAU coach. Roy (and many other coaches) won't deal with handlers at all, and in return most handlers "hate" coaches that won't and will say so publicly. Wall's handler has had seriously bad things to say about Roy this way.

Lately, however, Wall called Roy directly and told him he was interested. Roy apparently said he was as well, but that they'd need to talk more after the tournament. This is presumably because he was busy, but also because Roy has no scholarships for next year unless somebody leaves early. That was basically a given at the time, but Roy can't be going around SAYING that, either. Roy has said he'll be off "recruiting" as early as Wednesday of this week, though. But I'd bet that won't involve any airplane trips.

My gut says Ellington and Lawson leave early, but nobody else from UNC does. The door will be open for Wall to come to UNC if he wants to talk to Roy directly and go against his AAU coach. But he'll also have to be willing to submit to a bit more of a regime than his handler has indicated in most of what *he* has said, but that guy sounds a little like a lunatic to me. Based on what he's said there's no way Wall would fit in at Duke, either. I think Wall is a little more "normal" than his handler would indicate, and if that's the case, he could very well end up at UNC. And if so and assuming Ed and Deon stay (and that seems likely to me), UNC is a championship contender again. Chemistry and experience will be the big issues to deal with, but talent won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The word on the street is that Williams is now starting to recruit John Wall to UNC.
    Good Lord, please don't let this happen! Honestly, I just can't take this crap any more. If this kid goes to UNC Duke might as well just be content with being #2 in the ACC for a very long time to come. Yes, we have some fantastic recruits coming in, but I just don't think it will be enough to overcome this stockpiling of talent down the road. Williams has yet to have to deal with NOT having a preimere player at every position.

If Wall ends up over there it will demonstrate to me that Roy can take anyone he wants, and we will play second fiddle to him for many years to come. I don't see any silver linings in this potential scenario of Wall to UNC. Nothing good can come of this for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Good Lord, please don't let this happen! Honestly, I just can't take this crap any more. If this kid goes to UNC Duke might as well just be content with being #2 in the ACC for a very long time to come. Yes, we have some fantastic recruits coming in, but I just don't think it will be enough to overcome this stockpiling of talent down the road. Williams has yet to have to deal with NOT having a preimere player at every position.

If Wall ends up over there it will demonstrate to me that Roy can take anyone he wants, and we will play second fiddle to him for many years to come. I don't see any silver linings in this potential scenario of Wall to UNC. Nothing good can come of this for us.
    No silver lining and obviously this would be bad but... UNC would have a very young team next year assuming everyone leaves who is expected to leave. They will have a lot of talent and could make a run but with their youth, they are not nearly as scary as this year. If G stays, I'd take Duke..If G leaves, UNC has the edge..but then in one year, Wall is gone..Davis is gone (if not now). We bring in a talented class in '10 and are right back with them. Wall is a one year addition as a frosh PG..I don't think he puts them over the top given the youth of their remaining talent.

This take seems a bit extreme...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post

Hi,

17-18-19 year old kids are hard to predict. The key is to recruit many players because one never knows what will happen. UNC may indeed get Wall, but it appears it has nothing to do with our lack of trying to get him. What else would you like the program do? Who is to say that Wall isn't a better fit for UNC than Duke? It hurts to have the rival pick him up, I agree with you there.

However, I think you are also selling Coach K a bit short. This man is incredibly competitive, he is not just going to sit by as his program goes down the tubes or plays second fiddle to anyone.

Every action has consequences. Coach K felt that representing his country and bringing back the gold was his duty and he put his whole being into it. I believe he spread himself a bit thin. The result is that Duke, whether he wants to admit it or not, suffered. Well, Coach K is back and badder than ever. I can't wait for next season!

GO DUKE!!
    Last edited by Kewlswim; 04-07-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: unclear English

Wall is MOST LIKELY gone, but...

Hi,

I think everyone should go on the premise that John Wall is a one and done player. Yet, I don't know if that is John Wall talking or his handlers. A year in college where those people are not as influential, well maybe another year becomes a possibility.

How does this sound as a yucky scenario: John goes to UNC and likes it, kicks his handlers to the curb, and stays two or three years leading the Holes to another couple of championships. As long as we are thinking gloom, doom, end of the world scenarios--there you have one. Furthermore, John goes on to say that he was within a whisker of matriculating at Duke, but was convinced that English Comp would be too hard at Duke and decided to go elsewhere. How did he know about English Comp? While taking a tour of UNC an instructor surreptitiously (how else do they do things at the Evil Empire?) showed him samples of the writing quality that would be expected of him at Duke. ugh ugh ugh

GO DUKE! GTHC!
    Last edited by Kewlswim; 04-07-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: grammar

Before some of you turn this thread into another emotional meltdown, please think about waiting to jump off cliffs and let recruiting play out. If and when you hear so and so to this school, then you can start to freak out. Until then, let's not speculate on every individual drop of sweat or comment at so and so's board. UNC won the title last night, but they haven't won all the recruiting battles just yet. And enough of the race and class garbage. It's getting hard to read through this thread and find facts, but there is plenty of doom and gloom moving in. It would be nice to see Duke fans represented without all the defeatist attitudes which comes from what another team did on the court. Folks, Duke still has the most wins in this decade and the last time I checked, our staff is working it hard. Give this UNC beat us and Michigan State thing a rest until emotions are in check.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I wonder what the N&O's Giglio will write about Roy's recruitment of Wall. He called K's recruitment of him "a desperate act".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

rivals article from yesterday (my apologies if it was posted previously)

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...asp?CID=932823

I'm really worried about the last line (his quote about really looking at North Carolina)...
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    I'm really worried about the last line (his quote about really looking at North Carolina)...
    yeah, that one kinda stood out for me too

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I wonder what the N&O's Giglio will write about Roy's recruitment of Wall. He called K's recruitment of him "a desperate act".
    Good call but something tells me it wont be a "desperate act"...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Giglio (April 3):
    "Roy Williams' decision to call John Wall is not only a desperate move but the epitome of the eternal "Can you top this?" contest between Duke and Carolina I referenced in Duke's pursuit of Wall last week."

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...ate-act-by-unc

People on this board were quick to point out Giglio's criticism of Duke as desperate for recruiting Wall. I wonder why, in five days, no one has mentioned that Giglio called carolina desperate as well. (I suppose that would not contribute to the everyone hates Duke persecution complex that seems to permeate this bulletin board.)