Page 28 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
    Honestly, Wall would be sort of a quick fix that would be an addition to next year's seniors. After that, its time to rely upon the 2010 class. If I'm not mistaken, Memphis did a similar thing with Derek Rose and if they could have hit their free throws it would have turned out great for them.

I forget the rule

is it 5+3 (or 3+5)? I am asking because I am wondering if we could take Wall AND Bledsoe. Seems that most people think Bledsoe will not be ready to take over as a freshman, but he could be great in 1-2 years. Do we have enough scholarships? Wall would be gone and Bledsoe could move into the starting role, giving Thornton a chance to learn for a year. I also wonder what getting either of these guys (or both?) would change in the Seth Curry scenario. Man, this is a lot to think about. I assume Coach K and his team have thought through it all and have backup to their backup plans.

As to Wall, I have no problem with a 1 and done guy if he doesn't hurt the reputation of our school. He's a stud. If a high school student came to college with 20 AP credits and was able to graduate in 1 year and go on to a job that paid him 3 million a year in a business setting, Duke would be proud to have him/her. I know its not exactly the same thing, but Wall would be coming to Duke to get an education on life, basketball, and the process of learning everyday (which is the most important thing I took from college). If he can get even 1/4 of what most 4 year students get at Duke, he's still far better off for the rest of his life than someone who didn't get to go to college at all.

There is no longer a 5+3 or 3+5 rule. Been gone about 2 or 3 years now

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    is it 5+3 (or 3+5)? I am asking because I am wondering if we could take Wall AND Bledsoe. Seems that most people think Bledsoe will not be ready to take over as a freshman, but he could be great in 1-2 years. Do we have enough scholarships? Wall would be gone and Bledsoe could move into the starting role, giving Thornton a chance to learn for a year. I also wonder what getting either of these guys (or both?) would change in the Seth Curry scenario. Man, this is a lot to think about. I assume Coach K and his team have thought through it all and have backup to their backup plans.

As to Wall, I have no problem with a 1 and done guy if he doesn't hurt the reputation of our school. He's a stud. If a high school student came to college with 20 AP credits and was able to graduate in 1 year and go on to a job that paid him 3 million a year in a business setting, Duke would be proud to have him/her. I know its not exactly the same thing, but Wall would be coming to Duke to get an education on life, basketball, and the process of learning everyday (which is the most important thing I took from college). If he can get even 1/4 of what most 4 year students get at Duke, he's still far better off for the rest of his life than someone who didn't get to go to college at all.
    We will only take one. Our 2010 class will most likely have 2 pg's.

The posts that bothered me were removed by the mods after this post. Thank you.

I just hope that those who might be reading this thread realize that some of these posts are not a refelection of the Duke fanbase as a whole. I really don't think writing to John Wall is appropriate here, be it a joke or not. Stick with your opinions and quit meddling with the process. Duke doesn't need it's fans to be in the middle of their business, especially where recruiting is concerned. I have seen a lot of beliefs in this thread that have no merit. Some of you seem to take everything you read on a message board or hearsay as fact and use that to form a not so factual opinion. It seems some of you know enough about Wall to have been one of his handlers. For gosh sakes, pleading that Wall doesn't do this or that is ridiculous and far from discussion. Heck, the what-if's apply to everything and when used often means one doesn't fully understand the situation. Coach K will not make a bad move here. He will not hurt the program. If he sees Wall as being an option, then I trust his judgement. Afterall, he never offers a ride until he has met with a prospect face to face. K has proven that he can mold young men and get them to the next level and no K coached ex player seems to be hurting. I will get off my horse now.
    Last edited by watzone; 03-29-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    We will only take one. Our 2010 class will most likely have 2 pg's.
    Why, are you banking on Knight or Irving? Those guys are both top 5 PGs from what I can tell and being certain that we get one of them seems a bit dicey. A Bledsoe in the hand, so to speak . . .
    Last edited by chrisheery; 03-29-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: idiotic mistyping

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    I will get off my horse now.
    I very much appreciate your contributions Watzone, but I find it to be a particularly high one today. Considering the recent reports about how widespread these potentially dangerous (for basketball programs) relationships with "runners," "agents," and "inner circles" are in conjunction with all that has been written about John Wall and the people around him... I think it is perfectly reasonable to be concerned.

Are we really afraid that John Wall will be discouraged by posts on the 1,000th page of a thread on DBR implying that he might be a risk and that the fans would only like him to come if he doesn't hurt the program?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I very much appreciate your contributions Watzone, but I find it to be a particularly high one today. Considering the recent reports about how widespread these potentially dangerous (for basketball programs) relationships with "runners," "agents," and "inner circles" are in conjunction with all that has been written about John Wall and the people around him... I think it is perfectly reasonable to be concerned.

Are we really afraid that John Wall will be discouraged by posts on the 1,000th page of a thread on DBR implying that he might be a risk and that the fans would only like him to come if he doesn't hurt the program?
    Doesn't matter which number it is. Please use your heads here. As fans we can be critical without predicting doomsday. Spread love. Cause this IS college where even the most well behaved can find themself drunk on someone's couch...

There is a reason Coach K is the coach of this basketball team and MOST of you are not. Look how irrational some of you sound. Sure, to some, this may not be a match made in heaven. BUT at the same time there are many that see the value in Wall. It is up to K to decide what's best for the team and the program. Wall may come into his office and be something that NONE of us expect him to be.

Let me tell you b/c I've read a lot of foolishness. Being from the "inner-city" does not make you tough. It does not mean you're black. And it most definitely doesn't mean that you're poor. It certainly doesn't mean you're bad mannered or somehow subject to extreme athleticism.

No matter what the sport, there is a cream of the crop and when you have that you have all sorts of intangibles no matter what the case may be. We've lost recruits based on these sort of things and quite a few of those guys were not black, from the inner-city, or SOFT.

Let's not look at Wall any other way than how he could help a program. If K brings him in then I'm most certain that everything is legit. If K decides to pass then I'm sure that we have other options - especially at the current moment.

Handlers or not, no matter where he goes - they will be in the picture but they will not be his coaches (except at Baylor of course who could really use a dynamic point guard, but who couldn't right?).

To try and predict the future of a high schooler is futile. How many of you have ever been been hurt by continuous prognoses on your future, merit, integrity, and your very own manhood? It may be "just" a message board but I believe that the energy you put out is the energy you get. The Crazies would most definitely serenade Wall - so why can't you?

There's no greater inspiration than feeling wanted and loved. Put those two together for a person with the skills and the talent and watch him take off.

I don't care WHERE Wall goes but I wish the young man the best b/c he's actually making an active decision to further his education rather than go the Brandon Jennings route - which he could. College for just one year is incredible for the development any young mind. Most kids don't know what it's like to even wash their own clothes.

To put it in perspective, I'm from a place where I'm happy that his handlers aren't dope dealers but actual basketball guys. Trust me, there's plenty of that out there. To me he just sounds like a young man that wants to make his momma proud. How could you dislike that? The rest will sort itself out.

By the way, every time there's a response - most of us an get an email, so EVERYTHING is new and that's usually the last impression we leave.

As a matter of fact, I recommend that all of you go out and rent "He got game" by Spike Lee with Ray Allen as "Jesus". If you haven't seen it then it will give you a smidgeon of Wall's situation.

It's a lot to be asked to be the bread winner when you're 17 - just think about that...

Supa "I'm sorry for my rant - seriously" Dave

I have been following this topic all day after I heard he was visiting Duke this weekend.

Any word yet if he in fact did visit? And if he did, did K offer a scholarship? I am leaving to go out of town, I am dying to know something before I leave

K offered him a scholarship today.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    Is this confirmed? How do you know?

Getting Wall would be a perfect. I only hope Seth Curry creates a snowball effect that brings in Wall, and then hopefully Barnes and maybe Brandon Knight or somebody else from the 2010 class.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    I've heard this as well, but afaik its still unofficial atm (i assume they'll make an announcement or however they do it tomorrow).

Which just means...what? We won't know till Wall states something himself really. All it means is that option one of the three previously stated by me (K doesnt offer him a scholarship, Wall goes to Memphis) isn't happening and either option B (Wall wasn't convinced by K to come here really, Wall to Memphis) or option C (Wall's visit and talk with K convinces wall to come to Duke) has occured. But once again we'll not know the answer to this for a bit now.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Also Cal and Kentucky have mutual interests...

ESPN is reporting that Coach Calipari might be open to advances from Kentucky. This could have some effect on Wall's decision. Of course, it might not have any effect at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke3517 View Post
    Baloney. Calipari is using Kentucky to get more money from Memphis. No way with Memphis' recruiting class would Calipari choose THIS year to leave. And this is without the chance at Wall.

EDIT: Also remember that back when Tubby left UK, we thought that'd end Patterson's interest there...but Patterson went there anyway. If Memphis' recruits agreed to stay committed even if Cal left, I'd think Wall'd still be interested.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by Duke3517 View Post
    If that happened there other 2 superstar recruits (Cousins and Henry) plus Evans might reconsider going to Memphis and staying at Memphis respectifully

I'll try not to get my hopes up, because it still feels like a long shot. However, if there was an offer extended today, it's a sign that there's at least still hope... I know a lot of folks viewed this meeting as "do or die", and it obviously went well enough to avoid the "die" scenario. If K were to somehow pull this off, it would be absolutely huge for the program on the heels of the Seth Curry announcement, IMO.

Also, for what it's worth, I would recommend youtubing around for an interview with him if you've gotten an uneasy feeling about what you've read about the whole "handler" situation. I did this a while back after I read all the rumors, and I was kind of expecting him to have a cocky/abrasive attitude. However, I could not have been more wrong - from what I've seen, he is about as likeable, polite and well-spoken as you could possibly expect from a seventeen year old kid, not to mention the best HS basketball player in the country. Given that we are complete outsiders to him and his situation, I don't think it's fair to assume anything else about him based solely on rumors and statements from adults that happen to be connected to him... remember, he's 17! I would be absolutely ecstatic to see him in a Duke uniform, but I will enjoy watching him wherever he is next year. Especially if it's Duke...

19. Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFan View Post
    Ewing, E-will...give him a break.
    It's amazing how often I make this mistake! I've done it a few times here before at DBR, and there have been many more posts where I realized I made the error in preview mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Is this confirmed? How do you know?
    Internet message boards are full of "I heards," many of which are guesses. K is talking to Wall so K will offer Wall. IMO, any "strong" statement should have a link to add validity.

I am not sure where all this information like "I'm hearing" comes from,"

I will share a sentence which pretty much says it all. Wall told me, "It was great," in reference to how his visit went earlier this evening. IOW, it was a good visit.