Page 26 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 2515
  1. #501
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Well you keep in mind that Duke ALREADY has THAT number of one and dones. So your point is?
    I'm not sure what you're talking about... Duke has had zero one-and-dones since the rule about going straight to the NBA from HS. Memphis will have had 6 by the end of next season if Wall ends up there. Memphis gets a lot of one-and-done talent. That's all I was saying.

  2. #502
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bethesda, MD

    Anyone who wants to know

    why there is a Duke "hatred tsunami" should just refer to this thread. It seems that many of us seem to think no player could possibly choose another school if they are high character or smart. It also seems that we think Coach K is so far ahead of other coaches and Duke is so much better than other schools that a player would have to be a fool to chose an0ther school.

    Quite simply, its not true. Different schools offer different things. Some coaches (like Calapari) are clearly able to connect with players in much the same way Coach K does with the guys that come here. We can't belittle other schools are cast aspersions on them because guys we want go to that school. Recruiting goes in cycles. When the top players' goals happen to coincide with what Duke offers (hopefully like Harrison Barnes), that school gets a great class. It so happens that this coming year happens to be one for Memphis if the chips fall as they appear they will.

    That said, I love that we are at least getting involved with these players to see if they would fit with us. It lends credibility when we find a guy that wants to be one and done and does match up with us.
    Last edited by chrisheery; 03-10-2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: typo

  3. #503
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Nashville
    I am not sure why everyone is so defensive when it comes to Memphis' current program-building tactics. I don't think the argument has anything to do with reputations of the school or anything like that... I lliked Memphis back when Carney was there, and even last year with Rose leading a solid all around team. But after Rose, it seems like many top-tier recruits that would normally jump straight to the NBA have deciced to just go to Memphis for a year because it's a proven springboard for their career path (and come on, can you really argue this is why they are choosing Memphis? Tyreke Evans himself basically said in so many words on OTL earlier this year). When it gets to the point that it appears the top 3 recruits in the class are doing this, along with another who is not far below them, it has to strike you as at least somewhat troubling.

    To be clear, I am NOT blaming the players themselves. In many ways it is definitely a smart career move, and who are we to judge them for that? The way I see it, it is similar to an potential MBA student deciding between a school that is renowned for its academic integrity and a school that is famous for it's connections and placement in the business world. Most MBAs go biz school for the connections anyway, and no one gets angry, we just call them ambitious. But if you're a fan of... business, then... umm... well, it's not the best analogy, but you get the idea.

    My main point is that Calipari currently appears to be building an elite program around a reputation for being a 1-year springboard to the NBA, and that does not seem like a good or reputable thing to be doing in college basketball. Again, if you look at the recruiting that has taken place post-Rose and what the recruits themselves have said, I just don't see how you can really argue that that is what is going on. Call me an uppity Duke fan if you want, but it's not just a coincidence.

  4. #504
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    Enough about Memphis b/c it appears there are others who would like to sway the vote. Don't know how this flew under the radar and I really don't know what to say about this but take a look...

    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/d...y/1430903.html

  5. #505
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Enough about Memphis b/c it appears there are others who would like to sway the vote. Don't know how this flew under the radar and I really don't know what to say about this but take a look...

    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/d...y/1430903.html
    This was posted on the front page.

    Odd peice to put in a newspaper, I thought.

  6. #506
    I'm happy that Duke is not like Memphis and that Coach K is not like John Calipari. If Calipari wants to win an NCAA Tourney with a bunch of one and done freshman and junior college recruits, good for him. The day Duke starts doing that would be the day I stop being a fan of college basketball.

  7. #507

    Did John Wall even get a scholarship offer?

    I checked Rivals and scout.com and it doesn't look like John Wall has even gotten a scholarship offer from Duke? Is that true? If so, how can we expect him to commit to Duke?

  8. #508
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC

    Offer to Wall and likelihood of Brandon Knight

    I dont think Coach K would offer Wall unless he felt the interest was mutual. Duke came into the Wall sweepstakes in the fall, a year or so later than most. So K's probably trying to see if Wall is truly interested and get to know him well to see how he'd fit into the program.

    Considering our chances for Wall are not likely great, I was reading in the ACC Area Sports Journal that Knight had a Top 6 that does not currently include Duke. Looks like Duke should step it up with Kyrie Irving and others.

  9. #509
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I dont think Coach K would offer Wall unless he felt the interest was mutual. Duke came into the Wall sweepstakes in the fall, a year or so later than most. So K's probably trying to see if Wall is truly interested and get to know him well to see how he'd fit into the program.

    Considering our chances for Wall are not likely great, I was reading in the ACC Area Sports Journal that Knight had a Top 6 that does not currently include Duke. Looks like Duke should step it up with Kyrie Irving and others.
    Yeah, I have been thinking that Duke was not going to get Knight for a long time now.

  10. #510
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    Florida, schormida.

    All of a sudden it's looking like Baylor may have more to offer than previously thought.

  11. #511

    Not to get off topic from the NCAAs..

    but wall's teammate is reopening recruiting and looking at memphis.

    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1444574.html

    how strong does that Calipari in the Wall recruitment?

  12. #512

    Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by dgoore97 View Post
    but wall's teammate is reopening recruiting and looking at memphis.

    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1444574.html

    how strong does that Calipari in the Wall recruitment?
    Wall, Cousins, and Henry won't be in school when Leslie matriculates, so it shouldn't play any role in Wall's decision.

    I like Memphis, I really do. As far as pure talent goes, there isn't anything more fun than watching some of their new one-and-dones come in and play. Rose was a fantastic player and by all accounts a good kid. Same could be said for Henry, etc. However, opening that door has allowed a lot of shady characters in. Tyreke Evans and his entourage (including the notorious World Wide Wes) are shady at best. Not saying that any kid interested in goign to play ball at Memphis is bad.

    I think Coach Cal has found a formula, one that worked for him at UMass and one that works for him now. They play patsy teams in conference, pad stats (No way Evans and his lack of game IQ and jumper would be that successful in the Big East or ACC) and blow teams out of the water by playing a fast paced, no structure game. However, he is a good coach who genuinely seems to care about his players personally. Academically I don't think he cares and that's not his fault. However, you have to have some hesitation because Cal did get into some hot water with Camby at UMass.

    I don't like what Cal is doing because I think it degrades the accomplishments of schools like Duke, Wake, and even UNC and their attempts to do things the right way and recruit student athletes (some exceptions aside). There is no doubt in my mind that there are improprieties going on at Memphis. Take a quick look at the Memphis FedEx internship program. You're telling me a bogus internship that pays "interns" a phenomenal sum of money is'nt appealing to a kid who has no interest in getting a degree? I'm confused how the NCAA deemed this legal, and it is no doubt a recruiting chip.

    As others have mentioned, FedEx and Memphis bball ARE Memphis. FedEx execs donate hundreds of thousands to the program and the team flies in private FedEx jets. You cannot possibly convince me that their dedication to the program stops there. Poke around the internet...and you'll see that Wall's recruitment has been shady from day one. He has handlers, entourage....people with their hands out. You're telling me he's going to go somewhere where those guys won' see one benefit (ie duke)? Not a chance.

  13. #513
    Hey, I was just visiting scout, and Wall's interest has gone up to Med. So maybe he is getting more and more interested. OH YEAH BABY! HE IS UP TO MEDIUM! MEDIUM!!

  14. #514
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Maybe he is just missing the coverage he was getting now that the big dance is in full swing. Maybe his "handlers" are using it as a ploy to try to negotiate a better deal with a team from say Tenn? What if Cal goes to KY? Oh the possibilities.

  15. #515
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by studdlee10 View Post
    Take a quick look at the Memphis FedEx internship program. You're telling me a bogus internship that pays "interns" a phenomenal sum of money is'nt appealing to a kid who has no interest in getting a degree? I'm confused how the NCAA deemed this legal, and it is no doubt a recruiting chip.
    What are the details on this internship? The quick search I did found what looked to be a legit internship program that lasts 3 months or so and supposedly requires 40 hours/week.

  16. #516
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chapel Hill
    I have not read all the posts about John Wall and his supposed recruitment (not sure he is even being recruited or is even interested in coming here) by Duke, but some I have read leave me asking why some posters on this board have a compulsive need to disparage other schools and their basketball programs as somehow less pristine and pure than our own and to cast thinly-veiled aspersions on the "character" of an 18 year old kid when it appears that that same 18 year old, who happens to be a great basketball player, decides that Duke is not the place he wants to enroll. Perhaps he reads this board and decides, based on the comment posted, that he does not want to go to a school whose graduates (I assume that most of the posts that fit the above are from graduates) are so full of themselves and their school.

  17. #517
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Florida and Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by tendev View Post
    but some I have read leave me asking why some posters on this board have a compulsive need to disparage other schools and their basketball programs as somehow less pristine and pure than our own and to cast thinly-veiled aspersions on the "character" of an 18 year old kid when it appears that that same 18 year old, who happens to be a great basketball player, decides that Duke is not the place he wants to enroll.
    His entourage (euphemism:advisers) may very well decide. John seems like a good kid who could benefit as a man and as a player from K and Duke.
    Tendev, in situations with advisers, there is the clear and present danger that the advisers' interests take precedence over the best interests of the young man.
    Best--Blueprof

  18. #518
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA

    You need

    Quote Originally Posted by Hancock 4 Duke View Post
    Hey, I was just visiting scout, and Wall's interest has gone up to Med. So maybe he is getting more and more interested. OH YEAH BABY! HE IS UP TO MEDIUM! MEDIUM!!
    some serious therapy if this gets you excited. Of course I need the therapy as well because I am reading this thread.

  19. #519
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Is there any question after last night's "game" against Nova that we need an athletic, dynamic ball-handler at the point?

    With Kyle coming back, and hopefully G too, John would have a pretty good chance of dancing at the Big Dance.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Is there any question after last night's "game" against Nova that we need an athletic, dynamic ball-handler at the point?

    With Kyle coming back, and hopefully G too, John would have a pretty good chance of dancing at the Big Dance.
    I hope it didn't take last night's game to make that clear. I thought watching Nolan spend the season buckling under the weight of unfair expectations and turning to a SG who averages 2.8 assists would do the trick. Or maybe watching every team with a quick PG slice us to ribbons.

    If Wall comes here and lives up to even half of his prior work we'll be the odds on favorite next year, G or no G. If not, I'm not sure we're in the top 10.

Similar Threads

  1. Mason Plumlee Collector Thread
    By watzone in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 370
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 09:47 PM
  2. UNC Recruitment and a Roster Comparison
    By RockyMtDevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 08:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •