Page 124 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126 LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 2515
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Really not surprised, and I held my tongue until the situation played itself out, but I was really dubious of him and all his baggage all along.

There is no reason for a player that is obvious one and done to come to Duke. Most of the advantages that Duke offers presupposes someone for whom the college experience is important, not something one has to reluctantly put up with for a year in order to get to the NBA.

For the latter, Duke and another program are interchangeable, and perhaps even at a disadvantage if the other program is more willing to push the ethical boundaries.
    Baggage? What baggage? What's your point? He just committed to one of the most 'prestigous' programs in the country - I think he'll be fine. The rest is on him as it would be anywhere else.

Patrick Patterson was supposed to be one and done - you see where he's at...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Really not surprised, and I held my tongue until the situation played itself out, but I was really dubious of him and all his baggage all along.

There is no reason for a player that is obvious one and done to come to Duke. Most of the advantages that Duke offers presupposes someone for whom the college experience is important, not something one has to reluctantly put up with for a year in order to get to the NBA.

For the latter, Duke and another program are interchangeable, and perhaps even at a disadvantage if the other program is more willing to push the ethical boundaries.
    Agree with you 100%. The 1 year rule puts schools like Duke at a significant disadvantage. One of the main reasons you go to Duke is for the academics. If you are just planning on going to school for one year, it's pretty obvious that the academics aren't high on your list of priorities. I have nothing against guys who feel that way. Dwight Howard, Kobe, and Lebron are doing just fine without college degrees. If I were a sure fire lottery pick like Wall coming out of high school, I would go to a college where I could best showcase my skills and the school that would be the most fun. Wall could have showcased his skills at Duke, but he definitely would have more fun at a long list of other places.

OK, we had 100+ pages of the manic phase. Will we now get 100+ pages of the depression phase? I hope not. The mods will surely lock this thread if it goes on more than a few days.
    It will be very interesting to watch UK this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Uh, K never even offered Bledsoe so there's no way you could say we "lost" him since we never wanted him. Seems like we didn't offer him due to concerns in the academic realm. Yeah, we went hard after Wall, but that's only one recruit, not two.

I'm really really surprised Wall didn't announce a press conference to air on ESPNU, espn360, etc. and then take hats out of a bag and eliminate them one-by-one over a 20 minute period. I guess John doesn't want as much attention as I had thought. I am glad he chose not to hold a long press conference, though, as I personally think that they are over-the-top and unnecessary. Good luck to him, I have no hard feelings really...but I hope UK loses badly in every game as I'm not a Cal fan at all.
    hahaha. Yah, we only lose recruits that we offer. Sure. If you would prefer, you could say that we just lost the opportunity. I am not interested in semantics.

Additionally, I have refrained from extensively discussing Bledsoe's academics because frankly I don't know anything about them. I am becoming frustrated with those who are citing Bledsoe's academic issues as a reason why we didn't get/ go after him. Does ANYBODY have ANY information on his scores or academic standing? If so, I would be interested to know what they were. If it is premium information, I understand. If you do not know about Bledsoe's score, PLEASE DO NOT pretend to. As far as I am concerned, we recruited Bledsoe, Kentucky then recruited Bledsoe, Kentucky offered Bledsoe, and shortly thereafter got a commitment. He was one of only TWO recruits we were still looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    hahaha. Yah, we only lose recruits that we offer. Sure. If you would prefer, you could say that we just lost the opportunity. I am not interested in semantics.

Additionally, I have refrained from extensively discussing Bledsoe's academics because frankly I don't know anything about them. I am becoming frustrated with those who are citing Bledsoe's academic issues as a reason why we didn't get/ go after him. Does ANYBODY have ANY information on his scores or academic standing? If so, I would be interested to know what they were. If it is premium information, I understand. If you do not know about Bledsoe's score, PLEASE DO NOT pretend to. As far as I am concerned, we recruited Bledsoe, Kentucky then recruited Bledsoe, Kentucky offered Bledsoe, and shortly thereafter got a commitment. He was one of only TWO recruits we were still looking at.

I wonder if he is still happy he chose UK? I am concerned how thin we will be in times in the back court. Really we only have one SF to boot with a host of unproven 4 and 5 men. I think it'll help Kyle not having to be on the interior as much but at the same time his minutes even in non-conference games will be much higher than even this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Baggage? What baggage? What's your point? He just committed to one of the most 'prestigous' programs in the country - I think he'll be fine. The rest is on him as it would be anywhere else.

Patrick Patterson was supposed to be one and done - you see where he's at...
    Seriously? You think he has no baggage? I mean, of all the issues that has been hashed over in this thread, you think he has no baggage at all?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I am becoming frustrated with those who are citing Bledsoe's academic issues as a reason why we didn't get/ go after him. Does ANYBODY have ANY information on his scores or academic standing? If so, I would be interested to know what they were. If it is premium information, I understand. If you do not know about Bledsoe's score, PLEASE DO NOT pretend to. As far as I am concerned, we recruited Bledsoe, Kentucky then recruited Bledsoe, Kentucky offered Bledsoe, and shortly thereafter got a commitment. He was one of only TWO recruits we were still looking at.
    Yes, I cited and provided an article concerning Bledsoe's academic situation today. A 17 is 25th percentile of everybody who take the ACT, not just college-bound students.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Bledsoe has qualified academically for Kentucky:

http://blog.al.com/birmingham-news-s...ic_bledso.html
    Kentucky basketball signee Eric Bledsoe has made the grades he needs in his final high school courses to be eligible to play as a college freshman next season, Parker High School coach Maurice Ford said this morning. [...] Bledsoe [...] scored a 17 on his ACT test earlier.

Wish we could have had him. Didn't think we would. Glad it is over. End of discussion IMO. The guy that we should be focusing on getting is not in NC. He's in Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by DDB4208 View Post
    He's in Iowa.
    I'm 99 percent sure you are talking about HB.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke #33 View Post
    I'm 99 percent sure that HB = Harrison Barnes.

Although Knight might be a more pressing need next year...

11. Quote Originally Posted by DDB4208 View Post
    Wish we could have had him. Didn't think we would. Glad it is over. End of discussion IMO. The guy that we should be focusing on getting is not in NC. He's in Iowa.
    There's a kid in Florida I'm just as interested in. I wanted Wall in the worst way, but two genuine scholar-athletes like Knight and Barnes to build around would put Duke back on top on and off the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke #33 View Post
    You are 100 percent correct.

No one said this yet but do you think Coach K missing or delaying his visit had a bad effect?? i think John being a UNC fan really couldn't see himself as a Dukie he had all good reason to come to duke( to lazy to list) and he still chose UK thats make me kind of mad haha in a funny way

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    There's a kid in Florida I'm just as interested in. I wanted Wall in the worst way, but two genuine scholar-athletes like Knight and Barnes to build around would put Duke back on top on and off the court.
    let's just cross our fingers that we snag one. and if it's only one, i'd prefer knight. just see PG as such a pressing need.

This John Wall thread has been so LONG that I have not read each item.

But I have to confess that when I heard it came down to Kentucky, Duke and Miami, I thought we had him. Kentucky had competition at the position, he was supposed to want to stay close to home, and Miami was not enough of a showcase.

I can't help but believe that picking Kentucky over us is a major slap to our program.

I can't explain it, but I'm not so sad about losing Wall as I am about the fact that we couldn't get him. Does that resonate with any of the rest of you long timers? Its just hard to accept that when our program has a clear need at point guard, and a competing program does not, they nonetheless get the recruit. Its just not a good sign.

I'm sorry I'm so negative, but its just the way I'm feeling right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Devil View Post

But I have to confess that when I heard it came down to Kentucky, Duke and Miami, I thought we had him. Kentucky had competition at the position, he was supposed to want to stay close to home, and Miami was not enough of a showcase.

I can't help but believe that picking Kentucky over us is a major slap to our program.

I can't explain it, but I'm not so sad about losing Wall as I am about the fact that we couldn't get him. Does that resonate with any of the rest of you long timers? Its just hard to accept that when our program has a clear need at point guard, and a competing program does not, they nonetheless get the recruit. Its just not a good sign.

No - it does not resonate. Wall was going to Memphis and then Cal left and he decided to look around. Duke had a shot but a long shot. From what I can tell, KY desperately needs a point guard as well- at least an NBA quality point guard. I just do not see why this is so surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Devil View Post

What is not a good sign to me is that to maintain the level of performance to which the program aspires the decision apparently has been made to recruit one & done players.

I long ago rationalized a first class academic institution bending traditional admission standards in recruiting on the ground there are more talents to consider than SAT & ACT scores in building a multi-talented class of students, but if recruiting rent a players who have no apparent intent of getting a degree from the school for which they play for a year is what it takes to succeed then maybe that cost outweighs the benefits of getting back to at least the second weekend of the tournament.
    Last edited by Atlanta Duke; 05-19-2009 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    ...but if recruiting rent a players who have no intent of getting a degree is what it takes to succeed then maybe that cost outweighs the benefits of getting back to at least the second weekend of the tournament.
    I'm one of the minority who is happy John Wall didn't decide to play basketball at Duke. Your post sums up my thoughts accurately. However, I firmly believe Coach K and Staff can build a team that will compete for the National Championship with all the players being student-athletes. Perhaps I am wrong, but I do not think so.

I really hope the NBA changes their rules and recommences allowing players to go straight from high school to the league. I view that path as a win-win situation for the NCAA and NBA.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 05-19-2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: English
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    What is not a good sign to me is that to maintain the level of performance to which the program aspires the decision apparently has been made to recruit one & done players.

I long ago rationalized a first class academic institution bending traditional admission standards in recruiting on the ground there are more talents to consider than SAT & ACT scores in building a multi-talented class of students, but if recruiting rent a players who have no intent of getting a degree is what it takes to succeed then maybe that cost outweighs the benefits of getting back to at least the second weekend of the tournament.
    Recruiting a single "one and done" does not make a trend. I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, this is Coach K we're talking about. He's not going to turn into Calipari or even Thad Matta.

Duke has looked at several guys with one and done potential (Patterson, Monroe, Boynton), but the first two went to school for at least two years, and we'll see what happens with Boynton. The fact is that due to the NBA's collective bargaining ruling, there are several guys every year that leave after their first year for the draft. If you go after the best talent, it's almost impossible to completely stay away from one year players.

Right now we're looking at Brandon Knight and Harrison Barnes. Both are excellent students. Are you opposed to recruiting them because they have enough talent to possibly go to the NBA after one year?

Edit: Bob Green, are you opposed to recruiting Barnes and Knight? I guarantee you neither one gets a degree - unless they come back from the NBA in the summers. I wonder what people think about these two.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post

Right now we're looking at Brandon Knight and Harrison Barnes. Both are excellent students. Are you opposed to recruiting them because they have enough talent to possibly go to the NBA after one year?
    It is not a matter of "having enough talent" to go to the NBA - it is a matter of having no apparent intent of hanging around for more than one year. I know playing in the NBA is the profession to which players aspire but the mandatory one year of NCAA servitude before you can turn pro is a joke.