Page 115 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 2515
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I am 95 percent positive that John Wall was at the Virginia Tech game in Cameron. My seats were down in 19D (behind the bench) and, if I remember correctly, Wall was down in that area.

I'm not sure if he attended any other games or not.
    I thought he attended the UMiami game. Which would be interesting since said opponent blew a 19 point lead.

Like I said, I could be wrong. I just remember my cousin pointing out that John Wall was in attendance that night, but I never did see him for myself. I kept searching for him near the end, but never saw him.

I'm sure someone here knows for sure. You might be right, geralds.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Based on the latest comments from Clifton, I feel good about our chances. Even though Wall kept 8 or 9 teams on his list, I think in reality it has been Duke and Kentucky for some time now with Miami possibly having a slight glimmer of hope.

With the stay close to home factor combined with Bledsoe to Kentucky factor, I feel really good about Duke's chances now. Many have felt Duke had little chance but this could end up being the Duke haters worst nightmare and Wall to Duke becomes reality.

That would significantly alter next seasons outlook. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Thank you, gentlemen.
    Come on 'Caines! I want to go to Raleigh and eat bbq during the finals, not bos.

It seems to me that Wall really wants to play for Coach Cal. He was about to commit to Memphis, then Cal left, and Kentucky instantly became a player.

Clifton, however, is really pushing Duke. It seems like Wall has little interest in going there, but Clifton has always liked Coach K and the Duke program and hated Roy Williams and UNC.

Miami is a wildcard. Maybe he likes the beach? Can't really figure out why anyone would want to go play a year of basketball at a football school.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Thank you, gentlemen.
    Come on 'Caines! I want to go to Raleigh and eat bbq during the finals, not bos.
    Weezie, it's not nearly as good as 'cue, but I'd be happy to make you some pierogies during the Finals here in PITTSBURGH

Let's go Pens!

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKfan View Post

Miami is a wildcard. Maybe he likes the beach? Can't really figure out why anyone would want to go play a year of basketball at a football school.
    I take it you have never been to South Beach?

A thought . . .

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I will be stunned if it is Miami. If the kid is going to go away from home, then I would think he would go to Kentucky. Why play on a team that will not be a title contender (or even a top 20 team) and a team that will not be on TV all that much when Top 10 Duke and Top 15 Kentucky are calling and you can be the piece that propels them to the top or at least close to it?

--Jason "this is getting kinda old, but I am glad we are still very, very much in it at this point" Evans

Might Miami be the compromise pick? Allegedly, John wants UK. Clifton and Mom lead toward Duke.

Miami sneaks in as a compromise?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    Might Miami be the compromise pick? Allegedly, John wants UK. Clifton and Mom lead toward Duke.

Miami sneaks in as a compromise?

Yea it does seem like Wall doesn't want to go to Duke.

1. Bledsoe signed to KY starter but limited PT
    2. Duke is close to home Starter with lots of PT
    There are alot of other reason's but i don't want to post it right now (lazy) srry

All signs point to duke but Wall hasn't said anything

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    Weezie, it's not nearly as good as 'cue, but I'd be happy to make you some pierogies during the Finals here in PITTSBURGH

Let's go Pens!
    Ehhh, been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKfan View Post
    It seems to me that Wall really wants to play for Coach Cal. He was about to commit to Memphis, then Cal left, and Kentucky instantly became a player.

Clifton, however, is really pushing Duke. It seems like Wall has little interest in going there, but Clifton has always liked Coach K and the Duke program and hated Roy Williams and UNC.

Does anyone remember early in the thread when everyone was sure it was Clifton who was keeping John Wall from visiting Duke? That there was no way the "handler" would let his charge enter a structured program like ours?

On another topic, why would you say something like "It seems like Wall has little interest in going [to Duke]"? What mind meld have you performed where this inside information was imparted to you?

Thumbs up Wish we could be this close on LOTS of superstuds like Mr. Wall...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I will be stunned if it is Miami. If the kid is going to go away from home, then I would think he would go to Kentucky. Why play on a team that will not be a title contender (or even a top 20 team) and a team that will not be on TV all that much when Top 10 Duke and Top 15 Kentucky are calling and you can be the piece that propels them to the top or at least close to it?

--Jason "this is getting kinda old, but I am glad we are still very, very much in it at this point" Evans

Gotta agree with Jason again. No school is going to "win them all" in recruiting. But if you are in the final 3-4 of more top players than the other schools, generally, you're going to come out most years pretty well. If we've made a top-10 recruit's final-few list like this, I gotta believe that the coaches have done their job, and pretty well. Often the final decisions can come down to minor, uncontrollable things like gelling well (or not) with prospective teammates (Patterson) or falling head-over-heels for another school first (Monroe) or (lack of) proximity (Boynton)... But if you're frequently "up there" at the end, then you'll certainly win your share.

Just keep getting us into the group of leaders, coaches, and some will be coming our way soon enough.

BTW, Jason, don't know that I'd agree with KY being "top-15," given the turnover and relative youth. Maybe top-20. At any rate, I think we can agree he'll have his best shot at a National Championship, and probably max media exposure, playing in CIS just 30 minutes from home.

But I too can't wait for it to be over (once John picks Royal Blue and the Gothic Wonderland)... won't that be nice?!

-BDBD

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post

BTW, Jason, don't know that I'd agree with KY being "top-15," given the turnover and relative youth. Maybe top-20. At any rate, I think we can agree he'll have his best shot at a National Championship, and probably max media exposure, playing in CIS just 30 minutes from home.
    I agree with everything else you say, but Kentucky is going to be more than a "top 20" team even if Wall doesn't go there. They're going to be loaded. If Wall ends up there, they're definitely a top 5 team. They'll also have more talent and depth than ANY team in the country. They'll have about 5 future NBA players on their roster. The question will be if they can come together as a team and beat the best veteran teams in the NCAA Tournament.

I think Wall would make Duke a top team as well (and I think it would be in his best interest to go there).

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    I agree with everything else you say, but Kentucky is going to be more than a "top 20" team even if Wall doesn't go there. They're going to be loaded. If Wall ends up there, they're definitely a top 5 team. They'll also have more talent and depth than ANY team in the country. They'll have about 5 future NBA players on their roster. The question will be if they can come together as a team and beat the best veteran teams in the NCAA Tournament.

I think Wall would make Duke a top team as well (and I think it would be in his best interest to go there).
    FWIW, Mr. Clifton clearly thinks Duke's team is superior to UK's independent of Wall (as per the SI article posted several times earlier).

Duke just seems like such a better choice on paper (in terms of pros and cons) than UK or Miami that it's borderline ridiculous. Makes you wonder what the most important factors in his decision are.

I suppose all of our priorities were a little different when we were 19...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Duke just seems like such a better choice on paper (in terms of pros and cons) than UK or Miami that it's borderline ridiculous.
    Borderline ridiculous? Only if you're wearing Duke Blue colored glasses (although it'd be really hard to tell those apart from Ky Blue colored glasses, if you were just looking at them, wouldn't it?). Without knowing the kid, I don't know how you could make such a sweeping statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Borderline ridiculous? Only if you're wearing Duke Blue colored glasses (although it'd be really hard to tell those apart from Ky Blue colored glasses, if you were just looking at them, wouldn't it?). Without knowing the kid, I don't know how you could make such a sweeping statement.
    I don't know if I can name a single pro for Miami outside of "beach/weather." There certainly aren't any pros when it comes to basketball (over Duke and UK), unless "minimal pressure to win" or "general apathy from fanbase" are important.

Duke pros:

1. Coach K - between the record, 3 national championships, and Olympic experience coaching NBA All-Stars to a gold medal, this is a pretty big one. Calipari is not Coach K. He has zero national championships. Haith is in the bottom half of ACC coaches, in my opinion. I think it would be nice for John Wall to be able to say, "I played for one of the greatest college coaches of all-time."
    2. Minutes - Duke has zero true point guards and 3 guards on the team total. This is not even close to the case at UK, especially with top 5 PG Eric Bledsoe. Even Miami has more depth than Duke at guard.
    3. ESPN/National TV every single game. UK is not on national TV as much as Duke. Miami is not even close. National exposure is huge.
    4. Reputation - Duke has a reputation for putting out quality individuals that play great team basketball and don't get in trouble off the court.
    5. Academics - This might not be important for John Wall (1 year and gone), but Duke is a top 10 school.
    6. Style of play - Every Duke player except Zoubek is perfect for a fast-break running offense. Kentucky has multiple lumbering centers that will have to have to be constantly fed in the post.
    7. Proximity to home - He has said this is important to him.
    8. Chance at a national championship - Duke would have a very good shot at a national title. The same can be said for UK. Miami might have a shot at 3rd in the ACC.
    9. Conference - Both Duke and Miami are in the ACC, the best basketball conference in the country (along with the Big East). Basketball is the 2nd most important sport in the SEC.

I'm sure there are multiple others that I am missing. UK has some pros as well, but I don't think the list is comparable to Duke's.

Clearly, most articles are just speculating at this point because some say they think Duke is the lead, and some say they think Kentucky is.

I guess we, unfortunately, won't really know anything until John Wall makes his decision.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    I take it you have never been to South Beach?
    And the locals refer to U of M as bikini U for a reason.

Have to agree with some of the recent posters in that the more you read in between the lines, it appears Wall is looking for ways not to come to Duke. And this is contrary to the belief that it seemed initially that Clifton didn't want Wall to go to Duke but now seems to favor Duke while Wall seemed to like Duke.

As for the pros and cons of Duke verse UK, I will say that I personally believe that Duke offers more. However, if I am in Wall's shoes and not blinded by my Duke sunglasses, UK does offer many pros for a "one and done" prospect.

1. Wall gets to play for the coach he initially wanted to
    2. If his initial preference was Memphis and at the time it seems Clifton was on board, why would distance and type of "university" be a factor? I'm from the NYC area but can someone tell me whether or not Memphis and Lexingston are both similar distances from Raleigh? To me, if they are both similar in distance from Raleigh, why would it matter? Miami on the other hand makes no sense to me.
    3. Wall would still run the show at UK or Duke
    4. Both "coaches" produce NBA players and have connections to the NBA
    5. Either team would be players on the national scene in 2009-2010.
    6. Both have NBA prospects as supporting cast members. One can argue that UK may have "potentially" more pro prospects than Duke next year.
    7. And to me most importantly, why as a one and done player would he want to weigh himself down with academic responsibilities? At UK, I'm sure he could just coast and due the bare minimum, whereas at Duke, the bare minimum might be the equivalent of a solid course load at UK.

I would like Wall to come to Duke b/c I think he can make next year's team special at that Duke offers him many things but sometimes I wonder if the Duke angle by Wall is more out of respect for him mom and Clifton of late.

One last point, putting our disdain for UK aside, to think a lineup of Wall, Meeks (if he comes back or not), PP, Orton and Cousins with some good players off the bench won't be a national factor is being ignorant on our part. We criticize others for their dislike of Duke and not being objective in analyzing the Duke teams and if we wish not to be "stereotyped" as "we(fans) are better than everyone else" that many Duke fans are, we should be a bit more objective in our opinions of other teams. Now if you truly feel that way about UK's team next year, then fine, but my gut tells me that many just don't like UK and as result, feel they will not be good no matter who they have next year.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post
    2. If his initial preference was Memphis and at the time it seems Clifton was on board, why would distance and type of "university" be a factor? I'm from the NYC area but can someone tell me whether or not Memphis and Lexingston are both similar distances from Raleigh? To me, if they are both similar in distance from Raleigh, why would it matter? Miami on the other hand makes no sense to me.
    Raleigh - Lexington = 475 miles

Raleigh - Memphis = 752 miles

Raleigh - Coral Gables = 806 miles

Raleigh - Duke = 25 miles

Ane that makes it 2,300 posts in this thread!
    Last edited by Indoor66; 05-13-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: add last sentence...