Page 108 of 126 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 2515
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    I think that I just realized what the problem is here. We as Duke fans have been so spoiled over recruits in the decade that when the first reports of someone picking another school over Duke, we get bent out of shape. I know this is me for sure. I will never forget when Corey Maggette out of Chicago picked Duke, I was so excited, then Dunleavy and Jason Williams in 2000. We were getting everyone we wanted! Now in the culture of college basketball we are in, recruiting is a reality show. It is so highly publicized it makes it so much easier to be heartbroken as a fan because you think of "oh, what could've been." I don't want to think of John Wall as being the savior to this program because he WOULDN'T be if he came here. It is just so hard nowadays because all of these decisions get to the media and it is HUGE. With this culture, is it hard to believe that one's decision could affect the decision of future players as well? That is the scary thing. I don't want kids who have incredible basketball futures to pass Duke over just because guys like Boynton, Wall, Monroe, Patterson, and so on didn't come here, but instead Plumlee and Kelly do.
    I know I kind of went off on a tangent here, but that is how I feel and why this is important to me (and probably a lot of other people as well).
    I have to agree Chicago. I remember back from when Elton, Battier and their crew committed and how much that class was revered and compared to recent great classes similar to the Fab 5 at Michigan. After that in the following year Maggette committed (small class that year) and then it followed with the JWill, Boozer and Dunleavy haul the next. A couple of years after that JJ, Sheldon and company came in and it was deemed either 1 or 2 with UNC's May, Felton class. Deng followed that and he was the #2 player after LeBron. Even Paulus and McBob's class was #1. And for that matter, the year after had Livingston though he never stepped foot on campus. So in a 7-8 year period Duke either had the #1 or #2 class FOUR times and in the other years when they only could sign one or two players, that player or players usually included a top 5 overall recruit. So yes Chicago, you're 100% correct in that we as Duke fans have been spoiled. Now if we only have 2 or 3 scholarships to offer and the players that commit include a bordeline top 10 player, a top 20 player and someone else on the fringe of that, we had the sky is falling feeling. We as fans also have to realize that there are other factors in who is able to come to Duke. I think as a whole we realize that but we do lose touch in that, that being the academic standards. During that period we were fortunate to see many of the top players not only be excellent basketball players but also have above average academic creditials. Just watch the interviews of NBA Duke alumni such as Battier, Brand, Dunleavy adn JWill and you can see that they are more than just NBA players. I'm not a grad of Duke but of a well respected NYC university but am proud to see how well these players represent Duke.

Sorry to go off topic here but I felt the need to keep a bit of perspective here will regard to Duke's recruiting efforts. Do I want Wall? Part of me does and part of me doesn't. I don't know to be honest as I've leaned towards the latter of late but I'm back to 50/50 on it. But I will say this, if he does choose to go to Duke he will be better for it, not only in a basketball sense but in a life experience and personal growth sense too.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post
    Sorry to go off topic here but I felt the need to keep a bit of perspective here will regard to Duke's recruiting efforts. Do I want Wall? Part of me does and part of me doesn't. I don't know to be honest as I've leaned towards the latter of late but I'm back to 50/50 on it. But I will say this, if he does choose to go to Duke he will be better for it, not only in a basketball sense but in a life experience and personal growth sense too.
    I completely see what you're saying here and understand it. That said, I think that 100% of me wants Wall. From what I've read, I don't think that Wall is a bad kid - I just think he is your average 18 year old. I don't know about you, but when I was 18, I wasn't exactly the most mature; every kid gets into trouble! I think a year of college in a good school (cough Duke cough) would do him really well (as you said, for life experience and personal growth).

I really like Wall and I think he is a complete game changer - Derrick Rose-esk.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I completely see what you're saying here and understand it. That said, I think that 100% of me wants Wall. From what I've read, I don't think that Wall is a bad kid - I just think he is your average 18 year old. I don't know about you, but when I was 18, I wasn't exactly the most mature; every kid gets into trouble! I think a year of college in a good school (cough Duke cough) would do him really well (as you said, for life experience and personal growth).

I really like Wall and I think he is a complete game changer - Derrick Rose-esk.
    I totally know what you mean to be a 18 year old kid and I don't forget some of the stuff I did or my friends did. My only issue is that given what he has at stake, maybe him and his "handlers" would be a bit more aware of what he and they do and say. Most of what has happened probably has been blown out of proportion as he is under the preverbial "microscope" and I'm probably guilty of this myself, but I still wonder if he is a bit more immature than you're average 18 year old. That said, maybe I can give credit to Clifton, and I can't believe I'm actually supporting a comment or action a handler has given, to suggest that Wall being under the tutelage of Coach K, involved in the environment of the basketball program and that of Duke academia would be in Wall's best interest as he grows as a basketball player and person.

Maybe I am talking myself into believing Wall should come to Duke and not only for basketball purposes even if only for a year?

Singler comment

I know we keep grasping at straws here on some levels but I just read something in an article about Kyle Singler that I've forwarded to the mods that might be of interest. He mentioned the possibility of going pro after next season which really wouldn't be good news if it were to happen but when talking about next season he mentioned the possibility of playing with John Wall. Again...it is speculation on Kyle's part and nothing more but the way we've been grasping at every little tidbit of info. we can get our hands on, I thought some may find it worth reading. I don't know when they will post the article on the main site but here's a link. http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...ORTS/905080336

Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post
    I totally know what you mean to be a 18 year old kid and I don't forget some of the stuff I did or my friends did. My only issue is that given what he has at stake, maybe him and his "handlers" would be a bit more aware of what he and they do and say. Most of what has happened probably has been blown out of proportion as he is under the preverbial "microscope" and I'm probably guilty of this myself, but I still wonder if he is a bit more immature than you're average 18 year old. That said, maybe I can give credit to Clifton, and I can't believe I'm actually supporting a comment or action a handler has given, to suggest that Wall being under the tutelage of Coach K, involved in the environment of the basketball program and that of Duke academia would be in Wall's best interest as he grows as a basketball player and person.

Maybe I am talking myself into believing Wall should come to Duke and not only for basketball purposes even if only for a year?
    Completely agree on that comment regarding Clifton. I hate the baggage that comes with being a great basketball player (handlers, AAU, potential agents and endorsements, your 15-person strong entourage...), but I have to side with Clifton on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by verga View Post
    .. i know more basketball than 3/4 of the people here. ...
    And polls show that 85% of people consider themselves better than average drivers.

Brian Clifton

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Completely agree on that comment regarding Clifton. I hate the baggage that comes with being a great basketball player (handlers, AAU, potential agents and endorsements, your 15-person strong entourage...), but I have to side with Clifton on this one!
    Here is an article that I stumbled upon that gives some insight on Clifton and why he does what he does... scroll to the bottom of the page after clicking the link
    http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...LETTER.BLOCK13

Tidbit

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs...with-wall.html

Encouraging, particularly since it comes from the Louisville Courier-Journal.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Patterson is now going back to Kentucky so he would have to fight a lot of guys for the spotlight. Duke looks like his team right now.

When will the season start...

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Blogs on the internet as a source of information would make a great sociology/journalism/psychology thesis.

Let's see the linked blog basically said "I know an unnamed coach who says that some school has a small lead to get a player who is still clearly undecided about his college choice." Yet I immeadiately was drawn to this thread and the link.

Argh!!! I must be going insane or it is the offseason. When do they start playing games again so I can be put out of my misery.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Blogs on the internet as a source of information would make a great sociology/journalism/psychology thesis.
    Your point is well taken, but I have a nit to pick. The linked piece, in my eyes, is not really a blog per se. Because it lies under the umbrella of a legitimate newspaper and is maintained by someone on their payroll, I view it as entirely different than "Johnny Jumpshot's Hoops Scoops" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post

Let's see the linked blog basically said "I know an unnamed coach who says that some school has a small lead to get a player who is still clearly undecided about his college choice." Yet I immeadiately was drawn to this thread and the link.

Argh!!! I must be going insane or it is the offseason. When do they start playing games again so I can be put out of my misery.
    I feel your pain, brother.

I'm a little lost, did Wall actually trim his list down when he said he was going to? What is his official status minus rumors?

yea this is crazy i think we should have the lead with patterson going back to Kentucky and Eric Bledsoe going as well he would start but PT would not be as much as he would maybe want it to be but who knows? maybe he hates duke but its is his best option

Quote Originally Posted by BlueinBlo View Post
    Patterson is now going back to Kentucky so he would have to fight a lot of guys for the spotlight. Duke looks like his team right now.
    Of course there's always a flip side. On this one, if Patterson is back, then with him and Meeks and the incoming freshmen, Kentucky will be viewed as a stronger NC contender than Duke, if that's important to Wall.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Of course there's always a flip side. On this one, if Patterson is back, then with him and Meeks and the incoming freshmen, Kentucky will be viewed as a stronger NC contender than Duke, if that's important to Wall.
    Ya, but one thing I have learned through this whole process is that Wall loves the attention. I know it is a tough choice but hundreds of other teens do it and almost all the top recruits have already done so by now. This is very late for a senior to be picking a college. IMO, he knows where he wants to go, he just wants to drag it out. These goes directly into my point of that he wants the attention and it will defiantly be shared at UK.

Also, he will lack playing time at Kentucky. Cal has a lot of recruits coming but he also can't forget about the guys from last year. If he just keeps Wall out there for a whole game, these freshman could get mad and just transfer (Taylor King). Not to mention Kentucky is already at 14 people on scholarship not counting if Meeks comes back. I have a feeling Cal has jumped out of the race.

Also, he will lack playing time at Kentucky. Cal has a lot of recruits coming but he also can't forget about the guys from last year.
    Really? The #1 recruit in the nation and a player Chad Ford has said will be one of the 5 best PG's in the NBA a few years from now will have trouble getting his minutes?

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Really? The #1 recruit in the nation and a player Chad Ford has said will be one of the 5 best PG's in the NBA a few years from now will have trouble getting his minutes?

Really?
    He won't have trouble getting minutes but I can guarantee he would get less at Kentucky then he would at Miami or Duke. Kentucky is a very deep team and Cal knows better than Wall is a one and done player. You think he is going to play Wall all 40 min and sit Bledsoe for around 20 min when Eric is the long term PG?? Benching top recruits is tricking.

He won't have trouble getting minutes but I can guarantee he would get less at Kentucky then he would at Miami or Duke. Kentucky is a very deep team and Cal knows better than Wall is a one and done player. You think he is going to play Wall all 40 min and sit Bledsoe for around 20 min when Eric is the long term PG?? Benching top recruits is tricking.
    Long-term PG? You really think Calipari cares about long-term? He is the master of one-and-done players. He's recruiting B. Knight and K. Irving as well.

I broke a personal rule today and went to the Carolina board to get another perspective on the Wall recruitment and I was blown away how similar it is to this site with anticipation that Wall will sign with their respective team. What is incredible is that we are acually recruiting Wall and how dead set they seemed to be that Roy is going to offer. Naturally this could still happen and I am not disputing that Carolina may get involved but with the info that is currently out there I was just really amazed at the consistant confidence that posters seemed to have that it is just a matter of time before Wall gets a Carolina offer and he accepts. I did not read all the post but I kept waiting for one person as a check and balance to call the other posters out and say something like [Look guys, this may happen but it is May 8, Clifton hates Roy, and no known contact since the FF, and our team is not even mentioned as a contender in most publications about the final schools in contention, so our optimism is not realistic ] But never saw a post like this over the ones that I read. I was expecting to see more Please don't go to Duke/KY posts but very very little of this. It really sounded like Duke and Ky fans posting. Just thought the confidence was very interesting but should I have really expected anything different.