Page 107 of 126 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 2515
  1. #2121
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I completely disagree. When I was trying to pick a college, I had four very good, very different options, so good and so different I found it impossible to choose among them. I finally narrowed it down to two but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I wanted to flip a coin but I knew if I did I wouldn't trust a single coin flip (OK, let's make it two out of three, etc.), so I snuck into the computer room after school and wrote a program that would electronically flip a coin 10,000 times and then tell me which school won. In retrospect, I am really glad the program typed out "You are going to Duke," but my point is my inability to make up my mind was not because I didn't like any of the options but exactly the opposite: I loved them all, but none of them seemed head and shoulders better than the others.

    And I imagine it's that much harder for someone like John Wall, who has so many famous and talented coaches all whispering in his ear about how wonderful it would be at their school. It doesn't surprise me he's having problems picking a school; to me, the real wonder is how so many top players find it so easy to decide.

    Are you sure you simulated a fair coin? Or did you have a prior to skew the probabilities in Duke's favor?

  2. #2122

    Andy Katz's take


  3. #2123
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    That wasn't a good read at all! It basically said if it wasn't for Clifton, Duke wouldn't have a chance. I hope that he now goes to Miami so we can beat up on them 2 times during the season and maybe Plumlee can give him a shiner or something.

  4. #2124
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by SushiChef View Post
    Are you sure you simulated a fair coin? Or did you have a prior to skew the probabilities in Duke's favor?
    Well, it's funny you say that, because I used the random generator that came with the programming language (which I think was BASIC; this was a pretty long time ago), but the count came out approximately 5900 for Duke and 4100 for my second choice, a skew that is statistically improbable to say the least. So either the computer (or the fates or a higher being/Duke fan) really wanted me to go to Duke (which is the interpretation I made when I saw the results, after I checked the program several times and determined it wasn't programmer error) or something was wrong with the random generator.

    I'm just hoping John Wall uses the same program...

  5. #2125
    Quote Originally Posted by derayb View Post
    What I don't understand that if what Katz says is true, why is Wall to have supposedly visited Duke today? If he did visit Duke today, and please feel free to clarify if he did anyone, was it a makeup date scheduled for the postponed visit from a couple of weeks ago?

    Just when you think you start to understand what is going on, another article or incident happens to make the Wall recruitment even more confusing and interesting depending on where you sit on the fence!!!!

  6. #2126
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    I hope that he now goes to Miami so we can beat up on them 2 times during the season and maybe Plumlee can give him a shiner or something.
    I sincerely hope that you were not being serious when you wrote this; and I sincerely hope this is not something you joke about in the future.

  7. #2127
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    I sincerely hope that you were not being serious when you wrote this; and I sincerely hope this is not something you joke about in the future.
    Everybody's just a little tired of the whole JWall recruiting saga and we desperately want it to end in our favor. If it doesn't, well some of us would love to prove that JWall's decision was a poor one.

  8. #2128
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKfan View Post
    Everybody's just a little tired of the whole JWall recruiting saga and we desperately want it to end in our favor. If it doesn't, well some of us would love to prove that JWall's decision was a poor one.
    I'm sorry but I just don't get that. There's no reason to take Wall's decision personally. It's his choice and he's entitled to make it. I understand being disappointed if he goes elsewhere (and being ready for this to end) but if that's the choice he makes then that's where it ends for me. What is there to be gained by trying to "prove" that he made a poor choice. It would be like if after I chose to go to Duke the other schools I had considered felt the need to show me what I was missing. I sincerely hope that if John decides to go elsewhere people on this board can understand that this is recruiting and not a personal rejection. Disappointment is one thing, but holding a grudge or lashing out is just counterproductive in my opinion.

    As for the actual recruitment, I find Katz's article to be somewhat disheartening. I would hate to think that Clifton is pushing Duke out of his own self-interest and frankly, if John comes here I hope that it's because Duke is where he wants to be. I take all these articles with a grain of salt, but ultimately I think it's best for all involved (including Duke) if John goes to the school that he thinks is best for him. I hope that place is Duke, but if not, so be it.

  9. #2129
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post
    What I don't understand that if what Katz says is true, why is Wall to have supposedly visited Duke today? If he did visit Duke today, and please feel free to clarify if he did anyone, was it a makeup date scheduled for the postponed visit from a couple of weeks ago?

    Just when you think you start to understand what is going on, another article or incident happens to make the Wall recruitment even more confusing and interesting depending on where you sit on the fence!!!!
    It probably is a resked of sorts, but he's taken lots of meetings. It could mean anything, everything, or nothing. So don't let it bother you. He's still in the process of TRIMMING his list folks, so chill.

    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKfan View Post
    If it doesn't, well some of us would love to prove that JWall's decision was a poor one.
    No offense, but most of the people acting crazy over this, and I would include wanting revenge on a recruit we didnt land pretty crazy (its not like he'll have decommitted or something, he might just chose another place) have post counts under 100. You guys ought to chill out and read some of the veteran guys' posts for some perspective.

    Try searching in this thread (or board for that matter) for jason_evans, jimsumner, carlos, olympicfan, stray gator, Bob Green. They have some good perspective to lend...

  10. #2130

    you're a 100% wrong

    its not about reading someone, who made sense to you or who you thought took a logical approach to the subject. its about a message board, where people get to blow off steam. The posters deserve to vent and make their opinions known. Who knows what will happen with Wall, i certainly don't and i know more basketball than 3/4 of the people here. If Wall goes somewhere else, it will be the last time i speak of him, why should i? If he comes to Duke, i'll cheer for him. We have made far too much of a player who has a shaky jump shot and throws balls away with regularity (sounds a little like Bobby Hurley, his freshman year lol). He is a great athlete and can jump with the best but is he a Duke kid, i don't know. We have gotten way to deep into this situation, its basketball, not rocket science (is that hard?). In closing i'd like to say that the first 10 years of this endless recruitment was fun, the last 10, not so much, i'm ready for it to be over. If he comes, he comes, if not, well you get the picture. Now Harrison Barnes, thats a whole new level of torment.

  11. #2131
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by verga View Post
    i know more basketball than 3/4 of the people here.
    I'm interested in how you arrived at this calculation?

  12. #2132
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm interested in how you arrived at this calculation?
    me too, is there like a formula or is this kind of just by feel?

  13. #2133
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ocala, FL (formerly Black Mountain, NC)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    It probably is a resked of sorts, but he's taken lots of meetings. It could mean anything, everything, or nothing. So don't let it bother you. He's still in the process of TRIMMING his list folks, so chill.



    No offense, but most of the people acting crazy over this, and I would include wanting revenge on a recruit we didnt land pretty crazy (its not like he'll have decommitted or something, he might just chose another place) have post counts under 100. You guys ought to chill out and read some of the veteran guys' posts for some perspective.

    Try searching in this thread (or board for that matter) for jason_evans, jimsumner, carlos, olympicfan, stray gator, Bob Green. They have some good perspective to lend...
    I agree with this. I have found many of those people to have very informative posts with good information. I do want to say that the reason I prefer DBR over TDD is because of the GENERAL attitude. Usually, this place is more relaxed. It is usually a place where intelligent conversations can go on about important aspects of Duke Basketball. Lately though, I've noticed a change. Things have become negative. Posts are off topic (like this one). And worse than anything, people seem to be fighting. Lets just remember, we are Duke. And that means we support the program, with or without a recruit. Lets look forward to next season and seeing our Blue Devils beat up the competition.

    Mods, I know I am off topic so feel free to delete if necessary. I just felt this needed to be said.

  14. #2134
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil07 View Post
    I would hate to think that Clifton is pushing Duke out of his own self-interest and frankly, if John comes here I hope that it's because Duke is where he wants to be. I take all these articles with a grain of salt, but ultimately I think it's best for all involved (including Duke) if John goes to the school that he thinks is best for him. I hope that place is Duke, but if not, so be it.
    What's best for him? If it's really him that matters? Then, I don't see unc as out of the picture.

  15. #2135
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    I sincerely hope that you were not being serious when you wrote this; and I sincerely hope this is not something you joke about in the future.
    Why are you taking that so personally?... or seriously? Calm down. It was just a joke stemming from the small reports saying Miami could be his destination. I really didn't think I would get this kind of reaction, just a few chuckles.

  16. #2136
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by verga View Post
    ... its about a message board, where people get to blow off steam. The posters deserve to vent and make their opinions known. Who knows what will happen with Wall, i certainly don't and i know more basketball than 3/4 of the people here....
    A couple of things.

    First of all, please try to use proper punctuation and grammar - it makes reading posts much easier. Also, readers are more likely to discount your opinion if you can't even be bothered to write properly.

    Second, I don't know which message boards you frequent, but DBR is most certainly NOT a place where "posters deserve to vent". Venting is DISCOURAGED here. If you need to vent, go somewhere else. We strive for a higher level of discourse, despite what you may read elsewhere in this thread.

    As for knowing "more basketball than 3/4 of the people here", be careful what you assume. We have some true experts that read an occasionally post here.
    JBDuke

    Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

  17. #2137
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    I think that I just realized what the problem is here. We as Duke fans have been so spoiled over recruits in the decade that when the first reports of someone picking another school over Duke, we get bent out of shape. I know this is me for sure. I will never forget when Corey Maggette out of Chicago picked Duke, I was so excited, then Dunleavy and Jason Williams in 2000. We were getting everyone we wanted! Now in the culture of college basketball we are in, recruiting is a reality show. It is so highly publicized it makes it so much easier to be heartbroken as a fan because you think of "oh, what could've been." I don't want to think of John Wall as being the savior to this program because he WOULDN'T be if he came here. It is just so hard nowadays because all of these decisions get to the media and it is HUGE. With this culture, is it hard to believe that one's decision could affect the decision of future players as well? That is the scary thing. I don't want kids who have incredible basketball futures to pass Duke over just because guys like Boynton, Wall, Monroe, Patterson, and so on didn't come here, but instead Plumlee and Kelly do.
    I know I kind of went off on a tangent here, but that is how I feel and why this is important to me (and probably a lot of other people as well).

  18. #2138
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Why are you taking that so personally?... or seriously? Calm down. It was just a joke stemming from the small reports saying Miami could be his destination. I really didn't think I would get this kind of reaction, just a few chuckles.
    Suggesting that we give a player a shiner simply because he opted not to attend Duke isn't that amusing to me, I suppose.

    It's not personal, Crazy. It's strictly business.

  19. #2139
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    "I'm interested in how you arrived at this calculation?"

    Kedsy,
    Verga probably used your computer program to calculate the odds....

  20. #2140
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Connersville, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    "I'm interested in how you arrived at this calculation?"

    Kedsy,
    Verga probably used your computer program to calculate the odds....
    it's similar to how they calculate the BCS standings.

Similar Threads

  1. Mason Plumlee Collector Thread
    By watzone in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 370
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 09:47 PM
  2. UNC Recruitment and a Roster Comparison
    By RockyMtDevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 08:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •