Page 102 of 126 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2515
    Wow, looking at the reader comments in that link, those Memphis fans sure aren't happy. PLEASE, if Wall chooses another school, let us not act like them and start bashing Wall, Coach K, etc.
    It depends on what school Wall ends up at. If somehow UNC or Miami gets him I will bash Coach K. I know we came in late but those teams came in real late. Baylor or Memphis or any of the other school I will be fine with.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueinBlo View Post
    It depends on what school Wall ends up at. If somehow UNC or Miami gets him I will bash Coach K. I know we came in late but those teams came in real late. Baylor or Memphis or any of the other school I will be fine with.
    If its UNC, this board will melt down. If it is Miami, I would be upset, but I would be so shocked that I wouldn't be that upset. A Miami committment isn't K getting out recruited. That would be a kid making a very poor decision.

I can't fault K for that.

Honestly, I don't see why you would bash Coach K based on Wall's decision. If Wall were to go to UNC (which would first require an offer), I'd chalk that up to Wall choosing his dream school over Duke. If Wall chose Miami over Duke, one could chalk that up to Wall preferring the "scenery" there over Duke. In neither case is it necessarily Coach K's fault that Wall went somewhere else. It's very possible that, if Wall goes elsewhere, he'll go there for reasons over which Coach K has no control.

Wow

I will assume for the moment that when you say "bash" what you really mean is that you will be critical of Coach K for how he handled this particular recruit. First off, UNC has been interested in Wall for a lot longer than Duke, but held off on pursuing him because of the relationship between Wall's coach and Roy Williams. Secondly, Memphis hasn't been in it for as long as Duke when you consider the fact that their coach and most of their recruiting class are gone, thus they essentially had to start over six weeks ago. Thirdly, there is no guarantee that the earlier you start going after a guy the more likely you are to get him.

That said, I would be disappointed if Miami or Memphis got him because I feel that Duke's roster is better suited to showcase his abilities and make a tournament run. For the same reason I would be ok if he went to Kentucky or even UNC (in which case, please shoot me).

I will assume for the moment that when you say "bash" what you really mean is that you will be critical of Coach K for how he handled this particular recruit. First off, UNC has been interested in Wall for a lot longer than Duke, but held off on pursuing him because of the relationship between Wall's coach and Roy Williams. Secondly, Memphis hasn't been in it for as long as Duke when you consider the fact that their coach and most of their recruiting class are gone, thus they essentially had to start over six weeks ago. Thirdly, there is no guarantee that the earlier you start going after a guy the more likely you are to get him.

That said, I would be disappointed if Miami or Memphis got him because I feel that Duke's roster is better suited to showcase his abilities and make a tournament run. For the same reason I would be ok if he went to Kentucky or even UNC (in which case, please shoot me).
    So you would be ok for Wall to go to an ACC school??? If he goes to UNC there is a serious problem with Coach K recruiting. Duke offers so much more then UNC and location can't be an excuse because they are so close. Also, Kentucky would really stink because we would have to play them at sometime and they would be stacked.

For me it's either Duke or a team not in the ACC or Kentucky. I just feel Duke has so much to offer this kid and if he doesn't choose Duke I would feel that Coach K didn't really try hard enough to show him how important this kid is. Do you people understand how good he is. He takes Duke from sweet sixteen to national championship.

So you would be ok for Wall to go to an ACC school??? If he goes to UNC there is a serious problem with Coach K recruiting. Duke offers so much more then UNC and location can't be an excuse because they are so close. Also, Kentucky would really stink because we would have to play them at sometime and they would be stacked.

For me it's either Duke or a team not in the ACC or Kentucky. I just feel Duke has so much to offer this kid and if he doesn't choose Duke I would feel that Coach K didn't really try hard enough to show him how important this kid is. Do you people understand how good he is. He takes Duke from sweet sixteen to national championship.

Many on this board take Duke basketball pretty seriously, and hate to see losses, whether on the court or the recruiting trail. But none of us hate to see those losses as much as Coach K .

You're entitled to your way of looking at things, but blaming or bashing Coach K on this subject is not a reasonable point of view, IMO.

Got this from the Bledsoe press conference.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ks-kentucky-o/
    Hmm, he wouldn't start if they got John Wall. Looks like they may be out of the John Wall game.
    Who knows what Meeks and PP do, but who is to say Cal wouldn't go w/ a 2 PG or 3 guard alignment? It already seems that most teams don't have a traditional lineup and start 3 guards, though it tends to be with two guards more of a off guard mold. Cal plays a full throttle attack game as it is, especially on the defensive end and to have both Bledsoe and Wall pressure the ball could be explosive. I'm of the glass if half full thinking regarding Duke's recruiting but to dismiss Wall to UK because of Bledsoe committing is a bit premature in my eyes. For the record I have soured on the Wall recruitment because of various issues involving Wall and Co. and I still believe we are in the mix until the end but Bledsoe's decision changes nothing in my eyes regarding Duke's chances.

no UNC

I'm not saying I'd be okay with him going to UNC, I'm just saying that from the standpoint of what other players are on the roster it would make sense for him to go to UNC or Kentucky. Either of those teams would be a FF-type team with him (this is just my opinon, and would be a whole separate debate in and of itself). Not so much with Miami and Memphis.

Who knows what Meeks and PP do, but who is to say Cal wouldn't go w/ a 2 PG or 3 guard alignment? It already seems that most teams don't have a traditional lineup and start 3 guards, though it tends to be with two guards more of a off guard mold. Cal plays a full throttle attack game as it is, especially on the defensive end and to have both Bledsoe and Wall pressure the ball could be explosive. I'm of the glass if half full thinking regarding Duke's recruiting but to dismiss Wall to UK because of Bledsoe committing is a bit premature in my eyes. For the record I have soured on the Wall recruitment because of various issues involving Wall and Co. and I still believe we are in the mix until the end but Bledsoe's decision changes nothing in my eyes regarding Duke's chances.
    Who is going to score then?? Neither Wall or Bledsoe are really scorers. It would be tough for a team to operate on only relying on 3 guys to score all the points.

Who is going to score then?? Neither Wall or Bledsoe are really scorers. It would be tough for a team to operate on only relying on 3 guys to score all the points.
    hate to say this, but isn't that what we do?

Note:

All the posts in this thread that had nothing to do with John Wall and were instead a discussion of Duke's prospects next year have been moved to the 2009-2010 Duke discussion thread.

--Jason "lets keep it focused on John Wall in this thread, ok folks?" Evans

Please no UNC

If Wall went to UNC, there would be panic in Duke country. I think that every Duke fan has their heart set on getting Wall, and if he went somewhere else, we would be disappointed. But if he went to UNC, we would be crushed. There would be a big difference and we should all pray together that that doesn't happen.

Also, I'm sure you've all seen this article, but there is one phrase (don't know the accuracy of it, but I hope it's incorrect) that scares the hell out of me:

"Wall has taken a different route. He is still trying to decide where he will play. A big reason he is still available is Carolina's Roy Williams has been the one coach in the country to say no (or possibly maybe if certain criteria are met) to Wall, and UNC just happens to be Wall's dream school."

http://www.chapelhillnews.com/sports/story/49585.html

Please basketball Gods, don't let Wall go to UNC. I really hope this isn't karma for Duke dominating during the late 90s and early 00s...

Cousins and Patterson are scorers. And Wall is a Nasty Scorer. His ability to get to the rim, at WILL, against ANYBODY in this past class is why others are so high on him. He is your third scorer. And KY has enough residual talent on the team outside of Wall, Bledsoe/Meeks, and the bigs to chip in 10-20 ppg. And that will be enough.

Add Wall to the mix and KY is loaded. Same at UNC, a scenario which I have avoided posting about for fear of putting ideas in Wall's head.

But, to put it simply, with John Wall at UNC, UNC has a comparable level of talent with Kansas, currently the clear cut NC favorite next year.

Duke becomes the class of the ACC and a final four contender, with NC possibilities.

Wall at UNC turns next year into KU - UNC circus.

Choose Duke. Be a hero, instead of a cast mate.

So you would be ok for Wall to go to an ACC school???
    I wouldn't be happy about it, but them's the breaks sometimes.

If he goes to UNC there is a serious problem with Coach K recruiting.
    Or it could simply mean that Wall went to the school he's dreamed of playing for since being a kid.

Duke offers so much more then UNC and location can't be an excuse because they are so close.
    Duke offers more from your perspective. But your perspective (and mine, and anyone else's besides John Wall's) doesn't matter. It's what the school offers to John Wall personally that matters. And if it's his dream school, then Duke doesn't offer that.

This is why I think it's silly to bash Coach K if the kid goes. If Wall goes somewhere else, it may simply be that there was nothing Coach K could have done. You seem to be under the assumption that recruiting effort guarantees landing a kid. That's not necessarily the case.

Would I be happy about Wall going to UNC or UK or Miami? No. But if he does go elsewhere that doesn't necessarily mean it was Coach K's fault. Recruiting is a two-way street.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    If Wall went to UNC, there would be panic in Duke country. I think that every Duke fan has their heart set on getting Wall, and if he went somewhere else, we would be disappointed. But if he went to UNC, we would be crushed. There would be a big difference and we should all pray together that that doesn't happen.

Also, I'm sure you've all seen this article, but there is one phrase (don't know the accuracy of it, but I hope it's incorrect) that scares the hell out of me:

"Wall has taken a different route. He is still trying to decide where he will play. A big reason he is still available is Carolina's Roy Williams has been the one coach in the country to say no (or possibly maybe if certain criteria are met) to Wall, and UNC just happens to be Wall's dream school."

http://www.chapelhillnews.com/sports/story/49585.html

Please basketball Gods, don't let Wall go to UNC. I really hope this isn't karma for Duke dominating during the late 90s and early 00s...
    Read back a few pages.

Consider the source of this quote.

Duke was the dream school, and childhood favorite of both Kenny Boynton AND Greg Monroe. It means nothing today.

Consider what will happen to UNC vs Duke next year if Wall enrolls at Duke. Now consider how a pro-UNC "journalist" would feel about that.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I wouldn't be happy about it, but them's the breaks sometimes.

Or it could simply mean that Wall went to the school he's dreamed of playing for since being a kid.

Duke offers more from your perspective. But your perspective (and mine, and anyone else's besides John Wall's) doesn't matter. It's what the school offers to John Wall personally that matters. And if it's his dream school, then Duke doesn't offer that.

This is why I think it's silly to bash Coach K if the kid goes. If Wall goes somewhere else, it may simply be that there was nothing Coach K could have done. You seem to be under the assumption that recruiting effort guarantees landing a kid. That's not necessarily the case.

Would I be happy about Wall going to UNC or UK or Miami? No. But if he does go elsewhere that doesn't necessarily mean it was Coach K's fault. Recruiting is a two-way street.
    terrific, terrific post

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriquet View Post
    Read back a few pages.

Consider the source of this quote.

Duke was the dream school, and childhood favorite of both Kenny Boynton AND Greg Monroe. It means nothing today.

Consider what will happen to UNC vs Duke next year if Wall enrolls at Duke. Now consider how a pro-UNC "journalist" would feel about that.
    I can assure you that Duke fans will be less thrilled about Wall joining UNC than UNC fans thought's regading Wall joining Duke because of
    a) UNC has beaten Duke at Cameron 4 times in a row and has complete bragging rights right now
    b) UNC hasn't recruited Wall as hard as DUke
    c) UNC just won the national championship and, although they would love another, they are probably content on just making the tourney next year which will most likely happen

UNC isn't going to overflow their blogs with cries of "dammit, I hate Duke" if Wall comes here. If UNC gets Wall, I guarantee we will be ending our posts with "dammit, I hate UNC"

With all due respect then, if you look at this past year's Duke team you will see that Singler, G and Jon accounted for over 60% of the team's scoring. Yes, they fizzled against Nova but they were ranked top 10 all year and #1 for a week with 3 primary scorers. I would bet the house that Cal would have no problem putting Wall and Bledsoe out there together. They are the top rated PG and top 5 rated PG in nation. We have all said on this thread how Wall can drive and get to the hole. So why can't you have two do the same? Yes, the may not be great shooters or the prototypical type of shooters you may want, but I doubt they are that bad. Anytime you can get two top 5 rated PGs with no other options available, you take them. Anytime you can great talents you get them and then as any great Coach will do, you mold your team around the talent you have.

My apologies to the moderators for being a bit off topic with regards to the Wall recruitment. I just felt the need to defend my statement.

hate to say this, but isn't that what we do?
    Yes, you are correct that is pretty much what we do and look at where we have ended up. I would also say Scheyer, G and Singler would be better than what they had. Also, almost every game Duke had a guy that would step up and be that fourth scorer in either, Thomas, Zoubek, Smith or Williams. One of them would get 15 or more points a game while the other 3 contirbuted in their usual ways.

Too me, Duke looks like a option for a national championship over Kentucky, if I were John Wall.

Yes, you are correct that is pretty much what we do and look at where we have ended up. I would also say Scheyer, G and Singler would be better than what they had. Also, almost every game Duke had a guy that would step up and be that fourth scorer in either, Thomas, Zoubek, Smith or Williams. One of them would get 15 or more points a game while the other 3 contirbuted in their usual ways.

Too me, Duke looks like a option for a national championship over Kentucky, if I were John Wall.
    Six of one, half dozen of the other. Meeks' decision has huge ramifications, both as a three pt threat and a huge change to the PT equation.