Page 104 of 126 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2515
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobriquet View Post
    I was born and raised in rural NC, and those fans are more colorful (despite being uniformly white).
    Unless you are talking specifically about the western part of the state, you couldn't be more wrong. Most of rural NC has a very high African-American population - higher than the state or country average.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriquet View Post
    I apologize to any UNC grad or student who took my comment ammiss. But your non-graduate fans are a bunch of racist, anti-semitic hill-billies. I know. I grew up with them.
    As someone with deep roots in rural NC I find your statement to be untrue. Perhaps the company you chose to keep was that way, but it is not my experience. I'll put my rural NC bona fides up against anyones. We are not all anti-semitic racist hillbillies, whether we graduated from UNC or not.

With statements like the ones you made above, is it any wonder that Duke fans are seen as elitist? Calling folks racist andanti-semitic with no proof or reason is hardly worthy of this board.

Back to the Wall discussion

This thread has taken every twist and turn imaginable and I have to admit that I haven't read every page. I am though a little disappointed in the main theme of the last page and a half of comments so I pose the following question for your response to get the focus back on Wall.

I think there is a good argument to be made that John Wall needs Duke more than Duke needs John Wall. A few of the bases for my argument would be as follows:

1) Wall needs an image adjustment to solidify him as a top pick in next year's draft. Yes he is likely to go high anyway but he wants to be sure that he is going to maximize the money he might be able to make... i.e. be in line for endorsements as well as being taken high. Many of you don't seem to think so but I would bet a small fortune that Wall would be a choirboy while at Duke if he chose to come.

2) His real money is going to be made in the NBA as a distributor and not necessarily a scorer. I won't take the time to develop this as an argument here but those who have watched him play should know by now that his game is best suited for playing a style where he is pass first or finish off the drive.

3) People overlook his tenacious defensive skills which I think he really wishes to showcase as a part of his skill set. Cal's system isn't all that known for stressing tough defense (although I'd argue that Cal should get a little bit more credit than he does for that). Duke's best defender is almost always in the running for National Defensive Player of the Year.

4) Like them or not, Beckwith and Clifton have been good influences on Wall and although they wouldn't have the kind of access to him that they have now, they probably would have more if he stayed closer to home than if he were to go to Kentucky or the state of Florida.

5) Everyone has already seen what kind of things Wall can do in a free flowing NBA style offensive system but I think he'd gain the most from being able to showcase what he can do in a different type of system night in and night out against a level of competition that is consistently better across the board than the SEC is right now.

6) This one goes back to number one but I also want to add that showing everyone that he can handle the demands of a Coach like K and an academic atmosphere like the one at Duke would also put to rest all of the other "concerns" that people have raised about his character. For big man prospects I don't think character issues tend to matter as much on draft day but for wing players (given that they are usually plentiful) it can make a difference in terms of which slot you go.

7) JW's biggest percieved attribute is his quickness and I think playing at Duke will highlight that. Every time on the court he will be clearly the fastest man wearing royal blue and white... he might not get to show that off at any of his other choices (State and Baylor aside).

Any way...what do you all think? Again forgive me if this discussion to place earlier...I'm not reading back through over 2000 posts...

Quote Originally Posted by gethlives View Post
    As a Tar Heel fan who happens to be Jewish and who lives in North Carolina, I don't think it is particularly cool to accuse a fan base of being Anti-Semitic.
    The owners and moderators of this site agree. This is not good conduct and Sobriquet has been cited for it. I urge others to express more restraint.

I will be deleting a number of posts that follow this one. Sobriquet's accusations of racism and anti-semitism are not something the DBR supports of endorses.

-Jason "very poor form" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by derayb View Post
    I think there is a good argument to be made that John Wall needs Duke more than Duke needs John Wall. A few of the bases for my argument would be as follows:....

Any way...what do you all think? Again forgive me if this discussion to place earlier...I'm not reading back through over 2000 posts...
    All good points, derayb...

Calipari might note that he had Derrick Rose, who was not only one-and-done as a PG, but also the #1 overall NBA pick.

But the idea of John Wall and Duke being a good fit has been enough to keep me engaged in this story, even though some are discounting our chances.

We'll see sometime in the next couple of weeks, I'd guess.

Not that I necessarily trust everything Gottlieb says, but this is his opinion:

Brad (Sandusky, OH): Doug, should John Wall still consider Kentucky now that they have a solid PG in Eric Bledsoe?

SportsNation Doug Gottlieb: Listen, if Kentucky takes Bledsoe which they have, they are not getting wall. Period. End of story. That's how it works. It does't mean that Bledsoe is better than Wall or that Wall is scared of Bledsoe. But if you are in the running for the top point guard in the country and you take another top ten point guard, it's an obvious sign that Wall is not coming. Period.
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=26324

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    IMO, Sobriquet's posts in this thread should be deleted.

By the way, for a guy who fancies himself an academic, his spelling is atrocious.
    He has been sent "on vacation" by the mods and many of his posts are being culled from this thread. I am glad so many posters recognize that his comments are not acceptable. Even insults aimed at Carolina are not allowed if they fall into the mean-spirited realm that Sobriquet occupied.

-Jason "it was ugly folks... very ugly" Evans

Would Wall coming to Duke affect G coming back at all or vice versa. Adding a top five recruit to an already great team has to influence G to want to play one more year. Could you imagine a lineup of...

PG - Wall
    SG - Scheyer
    SF - G
    PF - Singler
    C - Z/Thomas/Plumlees/Kelly

With Nolan and E-Will, both starters, being on the bench, we could have a truly special team. I think either way (Wall committing to Duke or G coming back) that has to affect the decision of the other. If I'm a top five recruit and know that, if I join the team, there is a REALLY good chance they could be national champions, then I have to think twice about coming back. Same with G. If one of your biggest weaknesses is filled with the best possible option, wouldn't you want to come back for one more shot?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He has been sent "on vacation" by the mods and many of his posts are being culled from this thread. I am glad so many posters recognize that his comments are not acceptable. Even insults aimed at Carolina are not allowed if they fall into the mean-spirited realm that Sobriquet occupied.

-Jason "it was ugly folks... very ugly" Evans
    Thank you.

I would think the Bledsoe thing would get a lot of mention here in the John Wall thread! I think this is a pretty big deal... it looks like Kentucky might be out of the running. It could look really good for us, but it could also be a nice turn for UNC, should they get seriously involved...

I am very curious as to when this all might end.

Lightbulb Bigotry in unexpected places

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post

As someone with deep roots in rural NC I find your statement to be untrue. Perhaps the company you chose to keep was that way, but it is not my experience. I'll put my rural NC bona fides up against anyones. We are not all anti-semitic racist hillbillies, whether we graduated from UNC or not.
    I believe ,derayb, you are correct about why Wall should come to Duke. I posted earlier (days? weeks? years? ago) from the perspective of a parent (Wall's momma) who loved her son that Duke would be the best place for him to gain stability. He would be surrounded by people of high character and tough love who gave a damn about him as a person.
    It would be a slam dunk for character and talent cultivation. If Wall were my son, he would be going to Duke.

Now, as far as rural Southerners being bigots...here goes. Rural folks often grew up in the South in a checkerboard living arrangement with blacks. I have had a ton of black friends tell me the rural and non-metro South was where they really knew who their white friends were.One was the local NCAA attorney who had gone to Columbia Law on an Earl Warren scholarship. Although our politics were often at odds, we spent many honest times talking from the heart about everything. Black classmates often remarked that there was an honesty between people of different races in the South ,as much as they hated the uncivil laws, and that they had experiences as I(and probably many, including Allen Murray and Stray Gator, on this board) in which their childhood buddies included kids of another race.

Bigotry exists and often in unexpected places. I was fortunate to attend 2 fine (supposedly progressive) schools in the North beginning in the mid 1960s. I had a strong Southern accent. I got into fights in college because I was looked at in a negative way by more sophisticated folks from north of the Maison Dixon line. After the grades came out and after more than a few fist fights,my circumstances changed for the better. Still some folks had hated me because of my accent.To them I had to have been a Klansman because of my origin. I think growing up in the rural South is a blessing and I remember vividly being instructed by my parents (also rural Southerners) to respect every man and woman and to admire anyone who did a good job in something (painting, shining shoes, teaching). This was true of people of all races and religions---some of my Jewish pals had more pronounced Southern accents than I.
    Sobriquet, you might consider that stereotypes are often wrong.It is a form of bigotry ,as well, to classify people (as groups) unfairly.You obviously are a pretty smart person so maybe you can realize that bigots exist everywhere and that there is also a lot of goodness everywhere.
    Best regards--Blueprofessor

I would think the Bledsoe thing would get a lot of mention here in the John Wall thread! I think this is a pretty big deal... it looks like Kentucky might be out of the running. It could look really good for us, but it could also be a nice turn for UNC, should they get seriously involved...

I am very curious as to when this all might end.
    It's looking like May 20th will be the big day.

Well, I hope so.

It’s time to wrap this up. If things aren’t clear to Wall now, whatever additional information he gets between now and May 20th (Wall’s supposed deadline, according to Kentucky Sports Radio) could only be confusing.
    http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=9496

12. Why is May 20th the suppossed deadline? I noticed SATs dont come out until the next day so if that is the hold up then he won't have his scores by the 20th.

Why is May 20th the suppossed deadline? I noticed SATs dont come out until the next day so if that is the hold up then he won't have his scores by the 20th.
    It's like the last day in the spring signing period. Also, it is very late to pick a college anyways. I mean after he picks, in three months he will be taking classes.

The end of the signing period means nothing

Quote Originally Posted by BlueinBlo View Post
    It's like the last day in the spring signing period. .
    Wall can wait to commit until after the 20th. Letting that deadline lapse has no bearing.

Now the KSR report that he wants to do it on the 20th is something different, but there is nothing compelling him to make a decison at any point prior to the close of enrollment at any of the colleges he's interested in. They'll all hold a spot for him, I'd assume.

I'd just as soon he gets it over with, since I'm a pessimist, and would prefer not waiting on what I assume will be bad news.

Defense

Quote Originally Posted by derayb View Post
    3) People overlook his tenacious defensive skills which I think he really wishes to showcase as a part of his skill set. Cal's system isn't all that known for stressing tough defense (although I'd argue that Cal should get a little bit more credit than he does for that). Duke's best defender is almost always in the running for National Defensive Player of the Year.
    Didnt Memphis have one of the better defensive teams in the country this past year?

With Nolan in the game, Wall could also play the 2 on the defensive end because of his height. Could be a wrecking ball D again.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    Wall can wait to commit until after the 20th. Letting that deadline lapse has no bearing.

Now the KSR report that he wants to do it on the 20th is something different, but there is nothing compelling him to make a decison at any point prior to the close of enrollment at any of the colleges he's interested in. They'll all hold a spot for him, I'd assume.

I'd just as soon he gets it over with, since I'm a pessimist, and would prefer not waiting on what I assume will be bad news.
    Right. I was wondering if that was a deadline given to Wall by Kentucky. If his SAT score is actually important to Duke and we are waiting on the scores to come out on the 21st then maybe setting a deadline of the 20th makes sense since it forces him to decide on Kentucky (if he really thinks they won't take him after their deadline which I would doubt) before he finds out his scores.

This thread is escalating in the crazy department as Wall's decision grows closer.

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    One was the local NCAA attorney who had gone to Columbia Law on an Earl Warren scholarship.
    Did you mean NAACP attorney?

Thumbs up Thanks, Sushi

Quote Originally Posted by SushiChef View Post
    Did you mean NAACP attorney?
    Yes. Thanks, SushiChief. NAACP attorney. Overwhelmed by rural area and Wall recruitment.
    Best--Blueprofessor
    Last edited by blueprofessor; 05-06-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Didnt Memphis have one of the better defensive teams in the country this past year?

With Nolan in the game, Wall could also play the 2 on the defensive end because of his height. Could be a wrecking ball D again.
    Memphis was highly ranked defensively last year but I think a lot of people (incorrectly) wrote that off to poor competition in C-USA.

I agree with you about Wall playing the 2 on D from time to time... that would be scary!