Page 1 of 126 1231151101 ... LastLast

John Wall Recruitment

It's CJ Leslie, his teammate, who is committed to State.
    Last edited by hondoheel; 01-02-2008 at 02:47 AM. Reason: spelling error

That was a strange flub, since I've heard that Duke is showing some interest in Wall. Coach Dawkins seems to especially like his potential.

I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    That was a strange flub, since I've heard that Duke is showing some interest in Wall. Coach Dawkins seems to especially like his potential.
    I attented the Glaxo Tournament over the break at Broughton High School where I saw Wall play and Dawkins was there every night. At least one of the nights Roy was there to see Larry Drew and Sidney Lowe was there to see C.J. Leslie. After watching Wall play there is no doubt that he has talent, but I don't know if he is Duke material. When I say that I don't mean basketball material. Coach K is very picky about the guys he recruits and I don't really see Wall fitting in the Duke system. He is very flashy and show boaty and he was probably the best player there but he let everyone know it. I also noticed several times where he would call for a lob and not get it or one of his teammates would shoot and he would get upset and begin pouting and walking toward the defensive end of the court. I would guess that Dawkins noticed the same thing, I guess it is just a question of whether they think this is something that can be changed or not. I was sitting beside a Division 1-AA coach who said he wouldn't be surprised if Wall ends up at State??? Don't know how reliable that is, his guess could be as good as anybody's. The kid I was really impressed with is Reggie Bullock from Kinston High School. He is around 6'5-6'6, a sophomore, and is as smooth as they come. He hit several three's in the first two games and has very good athleticism. He got injured the third day and was unable to play. Dawkins did hang around for his games and I hope he took note.

Yeah, wondering about this myself. Wall lists State on his interest, but it's not a high interest.

Of course, if they could land him, it'd be huge, for obvious reasons. If I remember correctly he's the #1 PG in the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackerb View Post
    Yeah, wondering about this myself. Wall lists State on his interest, but it's not a high interest.

Of course, if they could land him, it'd be huge, for obvious reasons. If I remember correctly he's the #1 PG in the class.
    Well, Carolina and Duke are pretty much set at that position so I guess State is his best chance for PT.

Since John Wall won't be on anyone's campus until the fall of 2009 I don't think you can say that Duke is "set" at that position. Nolan will be a junior that season and could perhaps be gone at the end of the year.

A better question would be how recruiting Wall would impact things with Kenny Boynton, a stud combo guard in the same class.

Assuming nobody left early you would be looking at a backcourt in two years that had Henderson & Scheyer as seniors, Smith as a junior, and Elliot Williams as a sophomore. In the HS class of 2009, in addition to Wall and Boynton, Duke is also looking at Leslie McDonald. Henderson, Williams, and McDonald are all guys who could play either wing (2G, SF) slot. Scheyer is also best suited at either wing spot and could also play backup PG minutes. Boynton is a SG/PG in the mold of Jason Williams and Wall is a PG/SG.

If you want to really get confused, add into the mix that Boynton is close friends and plays on the same AAU team with Brandon Knight, the #1 recruit in the class of 2010. He's also a PG and SG.

The good news is that if Duke gets one of those point guards from the 2009 class they would have an exceptional backcourt, even if Henderson left early as most think he will.

You are exaclty right....

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Since John Wall won't be on anyone's campus until the fall of 2009 I don't think you can say that Duke is "set" at that position. Nolan will be a junior that season and could perhaps be gone at the end of the year.

A better question would be how recruiting Wall would impact things with Kenny Boynton, a stud combo guard in the same class.

Assuming nobody left early you would be looking at a backcourt in two years that had Henderson & Scheyer as seniors, Smith as a junior, and Elliot Williams as a sophomore. In the HS class of 2009, in addition to Wall and Boynton, Duke is also looking at Leslie McDonald. Henderson, Williams, and McDonald are all guys who could play either wing (2G, SF) slot. Scheyer is also best suited at either wing spot and could also play backup PG minutes. Boynton is a SG/PG in the mold of Jason Williams and Wall is a PG/SG.

If you want to really get confused, add into the mix that Boynton is close friends and plays on the same AAU team with Brandon Knight, the #1 recruit in the class of 2010. He's also a PG and SG.

The good news is that if Duke gets one of those point guards from the 2009 class they would have an exceptional backcourt, even if Henderson left early as most think he will.
    I had a momentary "brain fart" and forgot Wall is only a Jr.....My bad and I ask forgivness from the DBR board gods.

John Wall

No inside knowledge or anything, but I'd be very surprised if Duke ends up pursuing John Wall, especially if he stays at Word of God Academy.

It has nothing to do with his basketball ability.

How can I say this ... it's no coincidence that Duke has not been involved with any of the talented kids who have played at Durham's Mt. Zion Christian Academy in recent years ... and if anything Raleigh's Word of God is even further from the educational mainstream than MZCA. And don't look for Duke to pursue anybody at the Patterson School in Lenoir.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    No inside knowledge or anything, but I'd be very surprised if Duke ends up pursuing John Wall, especially if he stays at Word of God Academy.

It has nothing to do with his basketball ability.

How can I say this ... it's no coincidence that Duke has not been involved with any of the talented kids who have played at Durham's Mt. Zion Christian Academy in recent years ... and if anything Raleigh's Word of God is even further from the educational mainstream than MZCA. And don't look for Duke to pursue anybody at the Patterson School in Lenoir.
    hmm, diploma mill?

I figure since Wall is lobbying for an offer from UNC and Duke, and none have been forthcoming, that there is more to the story than talent. He was also dismissed from his original high school team for an attitude problem? The story being now that he has worked on that after a lesson learned, but still.

Of course there are other issues rumored, not so much about the kid himself. But since DBR frowns on rumors, it's probably best not to stir those up.

As for Bullock, the word down east is that he is a very heavy UNC lean and even has some sort of family or mentor relationship with Jerry Stackhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    I figure since Wall is lobbying for an offer from UNC and Duke, and none have been forthcoming, that there is more to the story than talent. He was also dismissed from his original high school team for an attitude problem? The story being now that he has worked on that after a lesson learned, but still.

Of course there are other issues rumored, not so much about the kid himself. But since DBR frowns on rumors, it's probably best not to stir those up.

As for Bullock, the word down east is that he is a very heavy UNC lean and even has some sort of family or mentor relationship with Jerry Stackhouse?
    As several know, Wall was at the Albany game.

"He was also dismissed from his original high school team for an attitude problem? "

Wall tried out for the Raleigh Broughton High School team as a sophomore and was cut. So technically, he wasn't dismissed. But the consensus seems to be that his failure to make the team was more a result of perceived attitude problems than lack of talent.

Bullock

I am more dissapointed to hear that Bullock is a heavy UNC lean, bc he impressed me more so than Wall.

John Wall

Anyone know anything about John Wall who plays in Raleigh ?

He is suppose to be an outstanding point guard. Is Duke recruiting him ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Anyone know anything about John Wall who plays in Raleigh ?

He is suppose to be an outstanding point guard. Is Duke recruiting him ?
    He is listing a ton of schools still. Duke is generally regarded as one of the schools he is considering, but we are not at the top of his list. He did an interview with the Lousiville Courier-Journal just days ago and here is what he said about his list of schools:

Wall said Florida State, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Duke, Virginia Tech, Kansas, Miami and U of L have been showing him the most interest lately. He said UK, IU, Memphis, Baylor, N.C. State and Ohio State are among the other schools still in the mix.
    --Jason "he is generally regarded as the #1 PG in the extremely talented 2009 class" Evans

No inside info, but I would think Wall is a long-shot for Duke, and that Brandon Knight in the class of 2010 is a prime target for our future PG.

John Wall to Baylor!?!

Here's the article from rivals.com

"The recruitment of John Wall, Rivals.com's No. 1 prospect in the class of 2009,is coming close to an end.

John Wall, Rivals.com's No. 1 pospect in the 2009 class, is expected to announce his college decision early next week.
    Wall's travel team coach - Dwon Clifton of D-One Sports - will officially be named Director of Player Development at Baylor University on Friday, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

Wall is a 6-foot-4, 184-pound point guard out of Raleigh (N.C.) Word of God Christian Academy. He is expected to announce his college decision early next week according to Brian Clifton, the director of D-One Sports and Dwon Clifton's older brother.

Naturally, Wall is expected to follow his travel team coach to Baylor.

This development is somewhat surprising considering many news outlets erroneously reported last week - during the travel team tournaments in Las Vegas - that Dwon Clifton and Wall were destined for Oklahoma State.

Baylor apparently was not the only school pursuing Clifton as a coach. According to a source close to the situation, Dwon Clifton was offered coaching positions by other Big 12 schools as well as schools in the Big East and SEC.

Clifton played collegiate basketball at Clemson and then later at North Carolina-Greensboro before playing professionally in Portugal."

I found it a bit shocking, i don't know what you guys think?

We hear about this kind of thing so often, I can't believe the NCAA allows it, when a high school our AAU coach is hired to the college staff and "coincidentally" a highly ranked kid follows him. The whole thing just reeks to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty10 View Post
    Here's the article from rivals.com

"The recruitment of John Wall, Rivals.com's No. 1 prospect in the class of 2009,is coming close to an end.

John Wall, Rivals.com's No. 1 pospect in the 2009 class, is expected to announce his college decision early next week.
    Wall's travel team coach - Dwon Clifton of D-One Sports - will officially be named Director of Player Development at Baylor University on Friday, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

Wall is a 6-foot-4, 184-pound point guard out of Raleigh (N.C.) Word of God Christian Academy. He is expected to announce his college decision early next week according to Brian Clifton, the director of D-One Sports and Dwon Clifton's older brother.

Naturally, Wall is expected to follow his travel team coach to Baylor.

This development is somewhat surprising considering many news outlets erroneously reported last week - during the travel team tournaments in Las Vegas - that Dwon Clifton and Wall were destined for Oklahoma State.

Baylor apparently was not the only school pursuing Clifton as a coach. According to a source close to the situation, Dwon Clifton was offered coaching positions by other Big 12 schools as well as schools in the Big East and SEC.

Clifton played collegiate basketball at Clemson and then later at North Carolina-Greensboro before playing professionally in Portugal."

I found it a bit shocking, i don't know what you guys think?
    See 2009 recruiting thread. The only thing that surpised many is that OSU was out ... okay, I will stop it there

Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    We hear about this kind of thing so often, I can't believe the NCAA allows it, when a high school our AAU coach is hired to the college staff and "coincidentally" a highly ranked kid follows him. The whole thing just reeks to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty10 View Post
    I don't really have a problem with this. As noted, lots of schools were looking to hire Clifton. If John Wall wants to make his decision based on where his coach gets hired, good for him. Even if he wants to insist that the school he plays for hires his coach, again, good for him. No school has to cave into this.

In my opinion, this is vastly different than boosters giving paycheck-only "jobs" to parents/associates of players. This is a fully transparent process - Clifton will be a university employee, subject to university oversight (presumably).

This does not strike me as underhanded in the least.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke