Page 106 of 126 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 2515
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Anyway, does anyone else think John Wall should just say the heck with it and go to Europe? I think the NBA thing has passed. Didn't underclassmem have to delcare by April 20 something anyway? I just don't care for this anymore. He has dragged this on for way too long and you know he has so much time on his hands since the basketball season ended. He doesn't do anything else in school, he's a senior. This should be plenty of time for him to sit down with his parents/coaches and at the absolute least, shorten his list. I think the truth is, he doesn't care enough. He'll put on a show and say all the right things to the right people, but at the end of the day, IMO, he could care less. He's not losing any sleep over this and saying "God help me pick the right school for me! Some people will say I don't know him and I am judging, which you could be right, but the kids that care know what is a right fit for them because they care enough to pay attention and they have a good repoire with the coaches. There is no ONE school out there for him or anyone for that matter. It's all about finding a right fit and for him, the right fit is not on a college campus. Just do us a favor John and call it a day. Go to Italy!
    Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    I agree.

How hard is it to at least cut your list of 8 schools down? I read somewhere that some of the schools on his list have stopped recruiting him, at least not very hard, because they know they have no realistic shot. So why does Wall still list them?
    You are acting like John Wall owes something to somebody and there's some sort of recruiting etiquette he has to live up to. But he doesn't and there isn't.

He should be forced to choose a school (or cut down his list) because you are impatient? Why should he care about that? Who is he hurting by waiting?

I understand why this thread is so long. I've been checking it several times a day, too. But I don't understand why people seem indignant about the way this young man is going about deciding where he's going to spend (at least) the next year of his life. Because it is his life, not yours.

How did this get turned into the big man thread? Anyway, does anyone else think John Wall should just say the heck with it and go to Europe? !
    Eddy Landreth, is that you?

There is a premium article on Rivals with some quotes from Wall. He indicates he will soon (by today 5/7 or by "the end of the week") cut his list down, that his relationship with the coach is the most important factor, and that Kentucky will definitely make the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    There is a premium article on Rivals with some quotes from Wall. He indicates he will soon (by today 5/7 or by "the end of the week") cut his list down, that his relationship with the coach is the most important factor, and that Kentucky will definitely make the cut.
    Be very careful with sharing premium information. I realize you didn't share the article, but sharing the overall message is just as bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Be very careful with sharing premium information. I realize you didn't share the article, but sharing the overall message is just as bad...
    Feel free to delete if against policy. Sorry.

Just trying to bring some news to our long thread.

In answer to the question who would benefit most on our team from the addition of John Wall, I would say Scheyer. JS would not have as much ball-handingly responsibility and would be the beneficiary of a ton of open three pointers due to JW's ability to penetrate and hit the open man. My second vote would be Singler. JW's addition would prevent teams from being able to load up as much on KS.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Tim Stephens, from the N&O had a nice piece on JW recently and discussed all we have here but also that he's never had a negative moment/interview with JW and discussed how he was always polite and eager to please the coaches that are recruiting him. In fact, his AAU coach made him promise not to commit during a visit as he said John would commit to every school he visited (paraphrased). This gives me a bit more understanding into the very complex process it is and the dilemma he is having. Tim seems to be a pretty good guy and I don't reacall him grinding many axes like Tudor, DeCrock (sic) and Gigolo (sic) do on a regular Duke-hating basis.

Wink Names

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Gigolo (sic) do on a regular Duke-hating basis.
    It's J.P. Giglio, but the mistake is understandable (and probably intentional) as, in the words of the old Louie Prima song, he is "Just a Gigolo."

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It's J.P. Giglio, but the mistake is understandable (and probably intentional) as, in the words of the old Louie Prima song, he is "Just a Gigolo."

sagegrouse
    It was intentional. He and DeCrock (again, intentional) have a column called Rim Shots (though I REALLY want to misspell shots, too) which routinely takes swipes at our beloved Devils and NCSU and not-so-often at the team 8 miles south on 15-501.

Care should be taken but..

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    The short report on the upshot of the article is perfectly legal and reasonable under the fair use exception in the Copyright Act. It's just like saying "hey, I read in the Wall St. Journal today that six banks, including Goldman Sachs, got a clean bill of health in the government's stress test."

These threads are full of synopses that people offer from things they have read that came from copyrighted and for-fee sources. As long as we aren't copying significant sections of such source material, there's nothing "bad" about it at all.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    The short report on the upshot of the article is perfectly legal and reasonable under the fair use exception in the Copyright Act. It's just like saying "hey, I read in the Wall St. Journal today that six banks, including Goldman Sachs, got a clean bill of health in the government's stress test."

These threads are full of synopses that people offer from things they have read that came from copyrighted and for-fee sources. As long as we aren't copying significant sections of such source material, there's nothing "bad" about it at all.
    I don't want to move this entire behemoth into the PPB, but I think there's a very strong argument under the Harper & Row line of cases that posting premium information would be considered taking the "heart of the work."

I'm as happy to see premium info as the next guy (and much less willing to shell out $ for info that will be public soon enough anyway) but it's arguably not fair use, it's probably a violation of the terms of any premium site, and it's definitely not acting in good faith to re-post premium info on a free site, IMO.

Good take on the Wall B&E incident

This is an article by Greg Doyle which gives the best take I've seen so far on the John Wall incident... I hate what he called my friends in blue...err...light blue and gray...but good read nonetheless...

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/11719553

While that's true

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    You are acting like John Wall owes something to somebody and there's some sort of recruiting etiquette he has to live up to. But he doesn't and there isn't.
    While that's true, a school also has no recruiting etiquette it has to live up to either. It can just as easily say "thanks but no thanks" for continuing to drag everyone's chain around. Not saying that is happening or should happen, I try to let Duke decide that. But the fact is just as kids can lose interest in a school, the opposite can happen based on the recruitment.

He should be forced to choose a school (or cut down his list) because you are impatient? Why should he care about that? Who is he hurting by waiting?

I understand why this thread is so long. I've been checking it several times a day, too. But I don't understand why people seem indignant about the way this young man is going about deciding where he's going to spend (at least) the next year of his life. Because it is his life, not yours.

I am impatient, but that is not the reason why I feel the way I do. I DO think there is a certain etiquette that these kids should follow, there is just nothing in writing. These kids should feel honored any time a school comes to them asking if they want to play basketball. I was recruited to play golf at a few schools and any time I got a letter in the mail, I got goosebumps. So, I do think these kids should respect the process more and it has nothing to do with impatience. Take last week for example, Mr. Wall said he was going to visit NC Central and see what a true black college could do for him and he didn't even go. I just think he is giving some schools the run around and it makes it seem like he is waiting so long for all the wrong reasons. Picking a college is one of the most important decisions a 17 yo kid makes, whether they are planning on being an athlete or just finding a good business program or whatever it may be. It doesn't take a kid that long to find a good fit and it is because they go somewhere and they are proactively looking for all the positives and negatives and they look to see where they are comfortable. In all the visits he has made and all the talks and meetings he has had, if you can't get comfortable somewhere and say "Wow, I like it here", look for other options and that other option is Europe where he can just concentrate on basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    While that's true, a school also has no recruiting etiquette it has to live up to either. It can just as easily say "thanks but no thanks" for continuing to drag everyone's chain around. Not saying that is happening or should happen, I try to let Duke decide that. But the fact is just as kids can lose interest in a school, the opposite can happen based on the recruitment.
    True, but nobody around here is complaining about that. They're complaining about the kid who can't make up his mind. And they shouldn't. IMO, anyway.

JW at Duke today

Some of my friends told me today that John Wall is visiting Coach K today and is on campus right now. Is there any truth to this? Moderators, feel free to remove this post if it counts as rumor mongering.

Picking a college is one of the most important decisions a 17 yo kid makes, whether they are planning on being an athlete or just finding a good business program or whatever it may be. It doesn't take a kid that long to find a good fit and it is because they go somewhere and they are proactively looking for all the positives and negatives and they look to see where they are comfortable. In all the visits he has made and all the talks and meetings he has had, if you can't get comfortable somewhere and say "Wow, I like it here", look for other options and that other option is Europe where he can just concentrate on basketball.
    I completely disagree. When I was trying to pick a college, I had four very good, very different options, so good and so different I found it impossible to choose among them. I finally narrowed it down to two but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I wanted to flip a coin but I knew if I did I wouldn't trust a single coin flip (OK, let's make it two out of three, etc.), so I snuck into the computer room after school and wrote a program that would electronically flip a coin 10,000 times and then tell me which school won. In retrospect, I am really glad the program typed out "You are going to Duke," but my point is my inability to make up my mind was not because I didn't like any of the options but exactly the opposite: I loved them all, but none of them seemed head and shoulders better than the others.

And I imagine it's that much harder for someone like John Wall, who has so many famous and talented coaches all whispering in his ear about how wonderful it would be at their school. It doesn't surprise me he's having problems picking a school; to me, the real wonder is how so many top players find it so easy to decide.

I completely disagree. When I was trying to pick a college, I had four very good, very different options, so good and so different I found it impossible to choose among them. I finally narrowed it down to two but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I wanted to flip a coin but I knew if I did I wouldn't trust a single coin flip (OK, let's make it two out of three, etc.), so I snuck into the computer room after school and wrote a program that would electronically flip a coin 10,000 times and then tell me which school won. In retrospect, I am really glad the program typed out "You are going to Duke," but my point is my inability to make up my mind was not because I didn't like any of the options but exactly the opposite: I loved them all, but none of them seemed head and shoulders better than the others.
    Cool story and good point. Its very easy to get mad at Wall over the situation but in the end he is only 19 and is making the most important decision of his life thus far.

I snuck into the computer room after school and wrote a program that would electronically flip a coin 10,000 times and then tell me which school won.
    Wow...great story!

I hope Wall isn't doing this.

And I imagine it's that much harder for someone like John Wall, who has so many famous and talented coaches all whispering in his ear about how wonderful it would be at their school. It doesn't surprise me he's having problems picking a school; to me, the real wonder is how so many top players find it so easy to decide.
    Great story; you even worked in the "Breaking and Entering" part...