Thread: Maui 2011

Maui 2011

I don't believe we can play in Maui next year, but the following. It should be once every five years, correct?

Also, there are some pretty strong indications that Duke will be back in Kansas City for the CBE Classic in 2010 with K-State, Marquette and Gonzaga. Anyone else heard this??

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    I don't believe we can play in Maui next year, but the following. It should be once every five years, correct?
    incorrect

the maui invitational invites one team from each major conference each year. Therefore it varies the amount of times between appearances.

Also, with so many major tournaments popping up, the maui invitational is no longer the only premeire season opening tournament
    1200. DDMF.

According to Bruce Pearl, we are invited to the Maui invitational in 2011.

"They said they're interested in extending us an invitation,'' Pearl said. "Duke will be there, Kansas, Michigan, Georgetown ..."

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/...on-tournament/

That would be a solid field.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

"They said they're interested in extending us an invitation,'' Pearl said. "Duke will be there, Kansas, Michigan, Georgetown ..."

I hope so, because I will be there! I went to the Maui last year and it was one of the best times of my life. I took my wife for our 20th anniversary (she is a tarheel fan). The venue is so much fun, small, not a bad seat in the house and... OH! you are in Hawaii! We stayed in the same hotel as ND and Oregon, and I spent a fair amount of time talking to the different players and coaches. I was like a kid in a candy store. I actually spent some time on the beach talking to the UNC players on Thanksgiving day. (I know, but I was caught up in the moment!!). Sat at the bar and talked with Luke Harangody's mother and father... lot's of cool stories. Anyway, if you love basketball, and can possibly save up for it, I would HIGHLY recommend going!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

Butler is expecting to go as well...
    http://bubeat.com/2008/02/15/sources...-invitational/

Future tournaments

For the time being, unless some tournaments go under (see the long piece on SI.com about ESPN owning tournaments and running others out of business or reducing their relevance - it's interesting), our rotation appears set in 4 year increments:

2010 - CBE
    2011 - Maui
    2012 - Coaches v. Cancer
    2013 - NIT
    2014 - CBE
    2015 - Maui
    2016 - Coaches v. Cancer
    2017 - NIT
    and on and on...

Of course, it could change, but this is the pattern that Duke has been in since the creation of the CBE and the repeal of the 2 in 4 tournament rule.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Also, with so many major tournaments popping up, the maui invitational is no longer the only premeire season opening tournament
    I miss the Great Alaskan Shootout. Too bad they faded away.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    For the time being, unless some tournaments go under (see the long piece on SI.com about ESPN owning tournaments and running others out of business or reducing their relevance - it's interesting), our rotation appears set in 4 year increments:

2010 - CBE
    2011 - Maui
    2012 - Coaches v. Cancer
    2013 - NIT
    2014 - CBE
    2015 - Maui
    2016 - Coaches v. Cancer
    2017 - NIT
    and on and on...

Of course, it could change, but this is the pattern that Duke has been in since the creation of the CBE and the repeal of the 2 in 4 tournament rule.
    That does seem to be the rotation. I kind of hope that something happens to one of the tourneys and Duke replaces it with the Old Spice Classic since I live in Orlando.

I'm guessing since you live in Tampa you wouldn't mind that too much either.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I miss the Great Alaskan Shootout. Too bad they faded away.
    This.

There's something about fighting the effects of tryptophan in order to be able to watch my Blue Devils tip off at 1:30 am from Alaska. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    That does seem to be the rotation. I kind of hope that something happens to one of the tourneys and Duke replaces it with the Old Spice Classic since I live in Orlando.

I'm guessing since you live in Tampa you wouldn't mind that too much either.
    I'd like us to be in the Old Spice Classic as long as there is a strong field. I went to the Milk House when the women last played there (2002??) and it is a very good facility for basketball.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    I'd like us to be in the Old Spice Classic as long as there is a strong field. I went to the Milk House when the women last played there (2002??) and it is a very good facility for basketball.
    True on the field strength. The Old Spice was pretty strong last year but weak this year. I went to some of the Old Spice games in 2007 when NC State won. It is a nice facility and it seems like Orlando would attract more fans in November than the CBE in Kansas City. It was also nice to have 2nd row seats (right behind Len Elmore who was announcing the game) for the first time since Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    This.

There's something about fighting the effects of tryptophan in order to be able to watch my Blue Devils tip off at 1:30 am from Alaska. Good times.
    I miss this tourney... i say next year get 8 of the top teams(including us) and play one final big bang in alaska

early season tournaments

Just to be clear, the Great Alaskan Shootout is not dead, just invisible (it's no longer on ESPN). At least there was one this year.

That's where Oklahoma lost twice -- Washington State won the title.

I read a story that they were having trouble attracting fields. This year's field included just five teams (Oklahoma, Wash State, San Diego, Houston and Nichols State), plus host Anchorage Alaska. Next year's field has just four teams signed up, plus the host school.

As for Duke in Maui, I think there's some confusion about the 2011 date ... because the tournament is played in November, the 2011 Maui Tournament will be played at the start of the 2011-12 season -- NOT next year. I think that the reports that we are in the CBE Tournament next year is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    A guy in a funny hat and two Duke dignitaries.
    Why, thank you! I'm flattered
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Just to be clear, the Great Alaskan Shootout is not dead, just invisible (it's no longer on ESPN). At least there was one this year.

That's where Oklahoma lost twice -- Washington State won the title.

I read a story that they were having trouble attracting fields. This year's field included just five teams (Oklahoma, Wash State, San Diego, Houston and Nichols State), plus host Anchorage Alaska. Next year's field has just four teams signed up, plus the host school.

As for Duke in Maui, I think there's some confusion about the 2011 date ... because the tournament is played in November, the 2011 Maui Tournament will be played at the start of the 2011-12 season -- NOT next year. I think that the reports that we are in the CBE Tournament next year is correct.
    Yeah, the field for Maui for next year is already set. It's quite a lineup - with MSU, Kentucky, UCONN, OU, and UW, it's possible they'll have 5 top-15 teams. UVA is representing the ACC.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Yeah, the field for Maui for next year is already set. It's quite a lineup - with MSU, Kentucky, UCONN, OU, and UW, it's possible they'll have 5 top-15 teams. UVA is representing the ACC.
    Well, in 3 years time it will only be 4 top 15 teams, as Kentucky will be vacating their appearance in the Maui Final 4 .

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    UVA is representing the ACC.
    Uh-oh. No good can come of this.