Page 114 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 2515
  1. #2261
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Your first point seems reasonable.

    I'm not sure about the second point. By DDM, I assume you mean the Dribble Drive Motion offense that Calipari used at Memphis (adopted from some high school coach if I recall). I find it hard to believe that Calipari would surpass Coach K in "chalk talk". Coach K could probably discourse at length about the offensive patterns that the USA team used, and some of the things he has done at Duke (where having a great passing PG would certainly help).

    Calipari is a very capable coach, but does he really have an edge in your opinion over Coach K in presenting his offensive schemes?
    He has an edge considering John Wall isn't a pass first PG, and the DDM allows him to attack the basket much more and run the court much more rather than setting up the offense from a half court set.

    The DDM is a much more up tempo style of basketball that showcases the PG which is what interests PG prospects about the offense.

    Coach K is a great x's and o's coach but we have to face reality that in this era there is a majority of recruits who want to play in an undisciplined up tempo offense rather than a highly disciplined half court offense.

  2. #2262
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    DDM?
    The Dribble Drive Motion

    Its the offensive set Caliparri installed at Memphis about 5 years ago, and now is going to install at Kentucky.

  3. #2263

    Uptempo offense . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    Coach K is a great x's and o's coach but we have to face reality that in this era there is a majority of recruits who want to play in an undisciplined up tempo offense rather than a highly disciplined half court offense.
    Again, not one to defend, but I'd note that the last time we had a dynamic, scoring point guard who could run an uptempo attack, we were one of the leaders in scoring nationally.

    Of course, John Wall was 13 when that happened.

    We've got pieces of our offensive sets that are a lot like the AASAA and there's a similarity to what is featured by a lot of team in international play and the AASAA, as well. We tried to run something similar two years ago, but scrapped it because it didn't fit with our personnel. When our offense was really clicking the last two years, it was when Gerald was getting in the lane consistently and making the defense defend penetration. That's no different from the theory behind Cal's AASAA.

    There certainly was a three or four year stretch where we were really slow and really rigid offensively, but it's not like that's all Coach K has ever done, and we've without question evolved away from those periods of setting 27 screens for a jumpshooter.

  4. #2264
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    He has an edge considering John Wall isn't a pass first PG, and the DDM allows him to attack the basket much more and run the court much more rather than setting up the offense from a half court set.

    The DDM is a much more up tempo style of basketball that showcases the PG which is what interests PG prospects about the offense.

    Coach K is a great x's and o's coach but we have to face reality that in this era there is a majority of recruits who want to play in an undisciplined up tempo offense rather than a highly disciplined half court offense.
    Not sure I'd agree with your analysis of Duke's offense, or that Coach K would not run an uptempo offense. He adapts to the talent he has; in our best offenses, we had Hurley as a pass-first PG, but also William Avery, Jason Williams, and Chris Duhon as PG's who pressed tempo and looked for the drive when it was available.

    In a recruiting situation, perception is what matters, so perhaps Wall does prefer what he's heard from Coach Calipari. But I believe Coach K would utilize Wall's talents as well, or better, and could also present that concept well (which emphasizes the importance of face-to-face contact).

  5. #2265
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Your first point seems reasonable.

    I'm not sure about the second point. By DDM, I assume you mean the Dribble Drive Motion offense that Calipari used at Memphis (adopted from some high school coach if I recall). I find it hard to believe that Calipari would surpass Coach K in "chalk talk". Coach K could probably discourse at length about the offensive patterns that the USA team used, and some of the things he has done at Duke (where having a great passing PG would certainly help).

    Calipari is a very capable coach, but does he really have an edge in your opinion over Coach K in presenting his offensive schemes?
    I'm with Roy on this, but I don't really agree with the first point either. If how long a coach has been "in it" was the deciding factor, this circus would have shut down some time ago. I'm not saying I have any idea where Mr. Wall is headed, but IMO length of relationship doesn't sound like the critical issue.

  6. #2266
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm with Roy on this, but I don't really agree with the first point either. If how long a coach has been "in it" was the deciding factor, this circus would have shut down some time ago. I'm not saying I have any idea where Mr. Wall is headed, but IMO length of relationship doesn't sound like the critical issue.
    This circus would have shut down about 3 months ago when he commited and signed with Memphis.

    Caliparri leaving changed things, he really liked the school(Memphis) and the coach(Caliparri) and the offense along with his role(DDM).

    All signs pointed to a commitment.

    He was all set until Caliparri left Memphis and went to Kentucky, a school Wall had long ago eliminated and this process has seemed like Caliparri now selling Wall on Kentucky and Wall not yet ready to bite.

  7. #2267
    2 things:
    1) Zagoria stands behind his sources.
    2) Vance Walberg invented the "dribble-drive" offense.

  8. #2268
    Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    2 things:
    1) Zagoria stands behind his sources.
    2) Vance Walberg invented the "dribble-drive" offense.
    That doesn't mean his sources aren't lying/know what they are talking about.

  9. #2269
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Nashville

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/luke_winn/05/12/decisions/

    Interesting quotes from Clifton... he says it's down to Duke, UK and Miami, he flat out says he will not be Wall's agent, he says they are fully looking into the potential Bledsoe issue, and he states that Duke definitely has the best shot at a NC from Wall's 3 options.

    If anything, this reinforces what some folks here have been saying about not listening to blogs that quote "anonymous sources". From the current and actual firsthand quotes from Clifton, Duke seems to be in as good of a position as it's ever been to land Wall.

    Wall has confirmed that he's still considering the Wildcats after they accepted Bledsoe's commitment, but, Clifton said, "The knee-jerk reaction, and justifiably so, would be to take a minute of pause to look further into it. Because I can't imagine, to get a player like Eric Bledsoe, that [Kentucky] would tell him, we're going to recruit over you immediately and not play you very much as a freshman.

    "There had to be some assurances made to him about being able to share the ball, that would inspire him to commit despite the possibility of John still coming there. ... So we have to revisit that situation and make sure it's going to be great to have two of the top four point guards on the roster at once."

    By revisiting it, Clifton said hopes to talk to Calipari as well as Bledsoe's camp, to see what their expectations are for next season at Kentucky. (Bledsoe has been quoted as saying that he and Wall can coexist on the court, and that, "I'm going to play my position either if [Wall does go to UK] or he don't.") Said Clifton, "It's definitely not a deal-breaker, but I'd be remiss in my duty as a guy that's helping John and his family if we don't explore it fully."

    It has been speculated that Duke is Clifton's preferred destination for Wall, in part because of rumors that Clifton hopes to become Wall's agent next season, and Duke would be the place where he'd be best insulated from outside suitors. Clifton denied this to SI.com last month -- "I'll be in John's life in some capacity, but it won't be as his agent," he said -- but Clifton does, definitely, like Duke.

    He cited the fact that the Blue Devils had a clear opening at the point-guard spot as a benefit, and said that, of the teams Wall was considering, Duke had the best chance of competing for a national title next season, a fact that he felt should not be taken lightly.
    But I have to agree with poster a few down, I've become a bit numb to the rollercoaster ride by this point...

  10. #2270
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Interesting quotes from Clifton... he says it's down to Duke, UK and Miami, he flat out says he will not be Wall's agent, he says they are fully looking into the potential Bledsoe issue, and he states that Duke definitely has the best shot at a NC from Wall's 3 options.

    If anything, this reinforces what some folks here have been saying about not listening to blogs that quote "anonymous sources". From the current and actual firsthand quotes from Clifton, Duke seems to be in as good of a position as it's ever been to land Wall.



    But I have to agree with poster a few down, I've become a bit numb to the rollercoaster ride by this point...
    I'm sorry but why would he, Dwon Clifton, an Asst Coach at Baylor be contacting Kentucky inquiring about their plans for recruits and their current players?

    That doesn't add up to me at all.

    I dont think Keith Booth would call Coach K and inquire about what role Ryan Kelly or Mason Plumlee will have at Duke.

  11. #2271
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    I'm sorry but why would he, Dwon Clifton, an Asst Coach at Baylor be contacting Kentucky inquiring about their plans for recruits and their current players?
    Brian Clifton! Arggh!

  12. #2272
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    Brian Clifton! Arggh!
    Now I'm annoyed.

    I've been hyped thinking this was Dwon Clifton leaning him towards Duke.

  13. #2273
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    Now I'm annoyed.

    I've been hyped thinking this was Dwon Clifton leaning him towards Duke.
    Seriously can't tell, are you kidding?

  14. #2274
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    He has an edge considering John Wall isn't a pass first PG, and the DDM allows him to attack the basket much more and run the court much more rather than setting up the offense from a half court set.

    The DDM is a much more up tempo style of basketball that showcases the PG which is what interests PG prospects about the offense.

    Coach K is a great x's and o's coach but we have to face reality that in this era there is a majority of recruits who want to play in an undisciplined up tempo offense rather than a highly disciplined half court offense.
    Do you remember just at the beginning of the 2007-08 season when Coach K decided to run a modified form of Mike D'Antoni's 7 seconds and a shot offense? Greg was supposed to push the ball every possession. The wings would run-to-the corners in the fast break or secondary break. That was about as up-tempo and "undisciplined" as it gets.

    If John Wall comes to Duke, I think the best use of his abilities would be a much more fast-paced offensive style than we saw last year. I believe this style really suits the rest of our personnel (minus Zoubek) as well. Coach K seems to tailor his offensive schemes every season to what best fits his personnel and I have no reason to believe that he is committed to a slower half court scheme.

  15. #2275
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    Si.com has the scoop.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ons/index.html

    It's Duke, Kentucky, and Miami

    Kentucky is on thin ice, but not out of the equation.

    advisor and former AAU coach, Brian Clifton, told SI.com on Monday that it would be "accurate" to assume that the race was now between Duke, Kentucky and Miami
    Last edited by BlueintheFace; 05-12-2009 at 07:34 PM.

  16. #2276
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Si.com has the scoop.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ons/index.html

    It's Duke, Kentucky, and Miami

    Kentucky is on thin ice, but not out of the equation.
    God who knows now. UK thought they were getting a commitment, Miami thinks they are getting one...maybe Duke quietly going along is a good sign.
    2009-2010 can't come soon enough.

  17. #2277
    Golly gee, look at these 114 pages. This excitement and suspense is killing me.
    Thank goodness I have the Red Wings to keep me occupied.
    Somebody do me a favor, what game did JWall attend during this past season?

  18. #2278
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Si.com has the scoop.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ons/index.html

    It's Duke, Kentucky, and Miami

    Kentucky is on thin ice, but not out of the equation.
    Doesn't this seem similar to the PP recruitment? Everyone thought he was coming to Duke and that UK was second while there was a third school hanging around (I tend to remember Florida but please clarify this please?), then out of the blue he surprised many and chose UK. Could it be this time that UK is the assumed leader with Duke second by most accounts with a third team hanging around (Miami with another state of Florida slant included).

    Only this time, Duke comes out on top from left field??? Trying to put a good spin on this for us...LOL

  19. #2279
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toledo
    Quote Originally Posted by wander
    Somebody do me a favor, what game did JWall attend during this past season?
    I am 95 percent positive that John Wall was at the Virginia Tech game in Cameron. My seats were down in 19D (behind the bench) and, if I remember correctly, Wall was down in that area.

    I'm not sure if he attended any other games or not.

  20. #2280
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of sports teams that disappoint in the playoffs
    I will be stunned if it is Miami. If the kid is going to go away from home, then I would think he would go to Kentucky. Why play on a team that will not be a title contender (or even a top 20 team) and a team that will not be on TV all that much when Top 10 Duke and Top 15 Kentucky are calling and you can be the piece that propels them to the top or at least close to it?

    --Jason "this is getting kinda old, but I am glad we are still very, very much in it at this point" Evans
    Don't ask me why, but my mother is making me Tweet. Says it will be good for my career. So, follow my ramblings, mostly on the film industry, @TVFilmTalk

Similar Threads

  1. Mason Plumlee Collector Thread
    By watzone in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 370
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 09:47 PM
  2. UNC Recruitment and a Roster Comparison
    By RockyMtDevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 08:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •