Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

2008-09 Tyler Hansbrough discussion

ACC Now just reported this, here's a bit more from my site.

I'm guessing no one really knows anything, but how long will he be out?

Thanks for the info.

Any orthopods or other medical types that can provide some context on this type of problem?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    I'm guessing no one really knows anything, but how long will he be out?
    I'm not a doctor, but I just googled the injury and gave a few examples on my site. It looks like it could be anywhere from a few days to weeks. Michigan State's Raymar Morgan missed 5 weeks with the same injury.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    I'm not a doctor, but I just googled the injury and gave a few examples on my site. It looks like it could be anywhere from a few days to weeks. Michigan State's Raymar Morgan missed 5 weeks with the same injury.
    If that's the case, then this is good news for the Heels. Hansbrough and Ginyard sit out for a month or two and the bench players really get some good practice playing in tough games (well they would if the Roy scheduled some tough ones). Then Hansbrough and Ginyard come back, and have stellar replacements coming off the bench. If the chemistry can hold up, this will probably be a blessing in disguise.

I really feel bad for the guy. He may wear the wrong shade of blue, but passing up millions to come back for your senior year in hopes of winning that elusive title for your school is an admirable choice, regardless of how wealthy his family might be. Hope he makes it back onto the court soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    If that's the case, then this is good news for the Heels. Hansbrough and Ginyard sit out for a month or two and the bench players really get some good practice playing in tough games (well they would if the Roy scheduled some tough ones). Then Hansbrough and Ginyard come back, and have stellar replacements coming off the bench. If the chemistry can hold up, this will probably be a blessing in disguise.
    These are my immediate thoughts as well, but there is an alternative scenario: What if the Hansolo-less, Ginyard-less 'Heels go 12-0? Then everyone has to take a back seat when the big fella' returns? That could lead to more chemistry problems, aka "We were fine without Hansbrough, really running and putting the hurt on. Now we have to slow it and throw it in to him every time down the floor?"

Who cares how long until he comes back, as long as it makes it harder for him to break JJs record.

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I really feel bad for the guy. He may wear the wrong shade of blue, but passing up millions to come back for your senior year in hopes of winning that elusive title for your school is an admirable choice, regardless of how wealthy his family might be. Hope he makes it back onto the court soon.
    Kudos to COYS for showing great sportsmanship with that post.
    I was thinking the same thing about HansTravel earlier this week, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    These are my immediate thoughts as well, but there is an alternative scenario: What if the Hansolo-less, Ginyard-less 'Heels go 12-0? Then everyone has to take a back seat when the big fella' returns? That could lead to more chemistry problems, aka "We were fine without Hansbrough, really running and putting the hurt on. Now we have to slow it and throw it in to him every time down the floor?"
    Even if UNC goes undefeated and looks great without him, I don't see how anyone would possibly think that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    Even if UNC goes undefeated and looks great without him, I don't see how anyone would possibly think that.
    Well, it would be the same people that thought they were first round draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Well, it would be the same people that thought they were first round draft picks.
    Chemistry was already a question mark for the holes, and this definitely isn't going to make it any better. They're going to have to retool their offense without Hansbrough, and it will involve guys like Lawson, Ellington, and Green taking a whole lot more shots. Then they're going to be told that if they don't pass the pall to Hansbrough, they can sit. K could manage a problem like this, but I don't know how Roy will deal with it.

I just hope Green starts this year for UNC.

That way, hopefully we won't have to see that **** dancing on the sidelines from him right before tip-off.
    Last edited by -jk; 10-31-2008 at 09:40 AM. Reason: language

more important than anything will this help JJ keep his record?

A blessing in disguise.

With a team as talented and as deep as UNC this can only make them stronger. The young guns will get to cut their teeth and get some real crunchtime experience instead of the garbage time that they normally would.

I'm not really concerned with the record. If it falls then Hasbro earned it. I seriously doubt JJ would want the record knowing that he held onto it due to Hasbro getting hurt.

Seth Davis has his profile on UNC currently up and he makes them sound positively awesome. I guess we should just mail in the season.

My rough math

Quote Originally Posted by bludvlman View Post
    more important than anything will this help JJ keep his record?
    Well, it looks like it could come into play. If he misses the full five weeks that seem to be the max time an athlete with this injury has missed, he'd return for the 'Heels Dec 13th match against Oral Roberts. That would mean he'd play in 22 regular season games. If you assume that UNC will play 3 games in the ACC Tournament and at least 2 games in the NCAAs, then Hanstravel would be playing in 27 games, needing a 22.3 ppg average to accumulate the 602 points needed to pass Redick.

This is assuming that he doesn't come back in two weeks though. We really have no idea how long he'll be out.

Even if he's missing the max time for this injury, Roy may want the big guy back for the Dec 3rd meeting with Michigan State. In that case, Hanstravel would have an extra game to get to the record. If the 'Heels get to the FF, that's another 2 games.

Even with the injury, Redick's record isn't looking so hot.

My guess is the injury occured during a square dancing skit at Late Night with Soulja Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    ACC Now just reported this, here's a bit more from my site.
    This just in. Gerald Henderson under investigation for an intentional knee to the shin of Hansbrough in a pickup game.
    Last edited by Highlander; 10-31-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Wohoo! I'm a starter!
    "There can BE only one."

Any truth to the story that the doctor diagnosed the injury, and then awarded TH two free throws?

Hansbrough definitely won't be called for any walking violations now.