Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

DeMarcus Nelson-- NBA

Started against Chris Paul. I'm happy for him, and simulataneously feel like it's going to be brutal seeing such a hard-working kid take the heat for the screw-ups of management re Baron Davis.

But I'm proud of Markie, and hope he represents well!

Quote Originally Posted by KandG
    I'm happy for him, and simulataneously feel like it's going to be brutal seeing such a hard-working kid take the heat for the screw-ups of management re Baron Davis.
    Hi,

IMO, management "screw-ups" have helped Nelson much more than they could ever hurt him. Everybody needs a chance and DeMarcus is getting his. Here's hoping he continues to make the most of it.

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Great news! A tough first assignment for sure, but I think Dmarc will surprise some people. Marcus Williams has really played poorly and didn't deserve the starting nod.

When are NBA GMs going to realize ...

That overlooking (i.e., not drafting or waiting to long to draft) Duke players is a mistake.

Boozer - Starting power forward - NBA All-Star, gold medalist - Utah - 2nd round

Duhon - Starting point guard - New York - 2nd Round

Nelson - Starting point guard - Golden State - undrafted

Three starters who were not taken in first round or undrafted - pretty impressive.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

I'm all for Duke players in the NBA, and amazed at Demarcus Nelson's starter role, but I'm also one for realistic expectation.

Boozer: Stud. His story however is not an entirely unique one. I'm sure that there are other 2nd round picks who have become consistent all-stars/all-star candidates

Duhon: Starting on a team who's other point guard is an overpaid, aging, headcase that is booed by the teams fans. It's really his last chance. If he doesn't perform well with the Knicks, I don't see him being a starter again, and using a second round pick on a back-up point guard sounds about right.

Demarcus: I'm shocked... shocked. It's a testament to his work ethic, his defensive prowess, and how desperate (and terrible) the Warriors are. Not only has he never played point, he's just not all that great a ball-handler/passer. I would bet against the idea that he starts all 30 of the games that Monta Ellis is missing. As a Warriors fan, I also hope he proves me wrong.

In any case the point I'm trying to make is that the idea that these are "Three starters who were not taken in first round or undrafted" and that its "pretty impressive" is equivalent to over-hyping. It's more a matter of situation then it is skill.

I love Duke and its players, but don't expect much from Duhon and Nelson (or Shelden/McRoberts/Shav/JJ) at least not this year.

Duhon - Wrong perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    Duhon: Starting on a team who's other point guard is an overpaid, aging, headcase that is booed by the teams fans. It's really his last chance. If he doesn't perform well with the Knicks, I don't see him being a starter again, and using a second round pick on a back-up point guard sounds about right.

I love Duke and its players, but don't expect much from Duhon and Nelson (or Shelden/McRoberts/Shav/JJ) at least not this year.
    Mike D'Antoni went out and recruited Duhon because he wanted him to be the point guard for the NY Knicks. He has said he is happy with Duhon's play. He doesn't really have another choice on the team, IMHO. It's not just that Marbury is all the things you said -- he is also a ball hog, not a point guard.

Chris Duhon is probably the luckiest guy in the NBA (next to Markie, maybe). He may fail, which is what you are predicting, but he is likely to succeed and will be given every chance to do so. He's a coach on the floor, a good defender, an excellent passer with great vision, and can be a good scorer.

I guess time will tell--

sagegrouse

"I'm all for Duke players in the NBA, and amazed at Demarcus Nelson's starter role, but I'm also one for realistic expectation."

Could have fooled me. I'm not sure what points you're trying to make here.

The chances of a second-round pick sticking at all are about 50/50. Sure, there are some all-stars from that group, Mark Price for example, but Boozer has far surpassed any rational expectations for where he was drafted and most Duke fans applaud that without any qualification.

Duhon isn't likely to be ever be an NBA All-Star but he has had a solid, NBA career, partly as a starter, partly coming off the bench, and seems poised to continue in the league for some time. Again, kudos would seem to be in store.

Nelson? I think if you'll check my history, I've always been more positive about his NBA prospects than most others. So, I'm not stunned but I am pleased.

Just curious, but what unrealistic expectations regarding these three players are we guarding against here?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Just curious, but what unrealistic expectations regarding these three players are we guarding against here?
    I guess I will amend my words. My comments should not have been made in regards to unrealistic expectations.

It was more against the ideas of "When are NBA GM's going to realize that overlooking (i.e., not drafting or waiting to long to draft) Duke players is a mistake."

I just don't think that those three examples are any reason for GMs to specifically take a second look at Duke players over any other player...

I really don't get the point either ... but I'd be surprised if there were more than 10 starters in the NBA who went to college (so no high school guys like Rashard Lewis or foreign players like Anderson Vareajo) who were undrafted or drafted in the second round. And that number may be high. So to have three of them from one school is impressive, and I think shows how well Duke players are prepared for the NBA game.

And, the only other active 2nd rounder to make the All-Star team like Boozer, as far as I know, is Arenas.
    Singler is IRON

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    I guess I will amend my words. My comments should not have been made in regards to unrealistic expectations.

It was more against the ideas of "When are NBA GM's going to realize that overlooking (i.e., not drafting or waiting to long to draft) Duke players is a mistake."

I just don't think that those three examples are any reason for GMs to specifically take a second look at Duke players over any other player...
    Besides the typo - too, not to - the points was kind of tongue in cheek - but it does not take away from the point the Duke players who have recently been overlooked by NBA GMs - drafted late or not at all - have had far greater success than what you'd expect from a player drafted in that position or not at all.

How many undrafted players from the class of 2008 are going to start for an NBA team on opening night?

1?
    Singler is IRON

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post

And, the only other active 2nd rounder to make the All-Star team like Boozer, as far as I know, is Arenas.
    I was going back and trying to find validation of that - but I am pretty sure it is an accurate statement. I dont think Ginobli has actually made an all star team yet (although admittedly, I dont follow enough NBA to know), nor has Rashard Lewis.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Besides the typo - too, not to - the points was kind of tongue in cheek - but it does not take away from the point the Duke players who have recently been overlooked by NBA GMs - drafted late or not at all - have had far greater success than what you'd expect from a player drafted in that position or not at all.

How many undrafted players from the class of 2008 are going to start for an NBA team on opening night?

1?
    Alright, Demarcus starting after being undrafted is surprising. I guess I just don't expect him to last long, and as a Warriors fan, I have a bias in not being happy about the situation.

I don't even know what the purpose of doing this was, but it makes a pretty neat list:

2nd rounds/Undrafted at the top of the depth charts:

Cavs: Ben Wallace (2nd Round/ VUU)
    Cavs: Maurice Williams (2nd Round/Alabama)
    Nets SF Bobby Simmons (2nd Round/ DePaul)
    Wizards: Arenas (2nd Round/ Arizona)
    Rockets: Rafer Alston (2nd Round / Fresno St)
    Timberwolves: Ryan Gomes (2nd Round / Providence)
    Blazers: Steve Blake (2nd Round / Maryland)
    Warriors: Stephen Jackson (2nd Round / Butler)
    Clippers: Cuttino Mobley (2nd Round / Rhode Island)
    Suns: Matt Barnes (2nd Round / UCLA)
    Kings: Miki Moore (2st Round / Nebraska)
    Kings: Brad Miller (Undrafted / Purdue)
    Spurs: Bruce Bowen (Undrafted / Cal State Fullerton)
    Raptors: Jamario Moon (Undrafted/ Meridian Community college)
    Heat: Chris Quinn (Undrafted/ Notre Dame)

15 Undrafted/2nd Rounders at the top of the depth chart not including Duhon, Boozer, DeMarcus. With those 3 its 12 percent of all starters, and that doesn't include international players which are another 5-10.

Ben Wallace is the only one that jumps out at me other than Arenas and Boozer as a 2nd Round All-Star. There were a couple international players as will (Ginobili comes to mind)

Anyway, I guess I'm saying I'm not that impressed.... Though the idea that Duke is the only school to have more than 1 2nd Round/Undrafted player starting is a pretty good point.

EDIT: I missed Michael Redd

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I was going back and trying to find validation of that - but I am pretty sure it is an accurate statement. I dont think Ginobli has actually made an all star team yet (although admittedly, I dont follow enough NBA to know), nor has Rashard Lewis.
    Ginobili has not made the AS team. However, Michael Redd joins Boozer as both an AS and gold medal winner.

In addition to the trio already mentioned, Daniel Ewing played two seasons in the NBA as a second-round pick, Shavlik Randolph made the NBA as a non-drafted player, and Josh McRoberts as a second round pick.

So six former Duke players since 2002 have made an NBA roster after either being drafted in the second round or not being drafted at all.

Draw whatever conclusions you wish but it is an interesting trend.

And Ginobili, of course, has a gold medal of his own.

Yes, DeMarcus is the only undrafted or second round selection rookie starting in the NBA on opening night. DeMarcus had the best statistical preseason among all rookies, including Rose and Beasley.

Furthermore, McRoberts was selected in the second round and Randolph was undrafted.

So Duke has 3 second round players and 2 undrafted players on opening day NBA rosters this season, 3 of whom are opening day starters, including an undrafted rookie. No other NCAA team comes close. If this isn't a valid reason for NBA scouts to move less heralded Duke players up their draft boards, what could be?

Ginobili an All Star?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    And Ginobili, of course, has a gold medal of his own.
    His stats say he was in one All-Star game, played 22 mins., and scored 8 pts.

sagegrouse

Wink I tell ya, we don't get no respect

Quote Originally Posted by stickdog View Post
    So Duke has 3 second round players and 2 undrafted players on opening day NBA rosters this season, 3 of whom are opening day starters, including an undrafted rookie. No other NCAA team comes close. If this isn't a valid reason for NBA scouts to move less heralded Duke players up their draft boards, what could be?
    I agree. Boozer, Duhon, and Demarcus are the strongest cases so far. In point of fact, there have been very few disappointments in the past 15 years. First-rounders Avery and Langdon did not stuck around the league for more than one contract, but I suppose Trajan is making so much money in Russia, that I doubt he has been interested in a minimum NBA contract. Daniel Ewing, a second rounder, was in the league for 3 yrs IIRC. OTOH, Shelden is not making much of an impact and may have a shorter career than I expected. The JWill case needs to be set aside.

I think JJ will play a long time and make a lot of money. Sometimes it just takes time to get traction in the league. It happened to my man Jeff Mullins 40 years ago; and he played 11 years and was an All-Star.

Moreover, the positives are so positive that they attract notice: Elton, Grant, Maggette, Dunleavy, Boozer, and Deng are stars on their teams, and Battier is in a class by himself as a player and teammate. The Wash Post basketball kickoff yesterday featured Elton Brand as the lead picture with the article.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    His stats say he was in one All-Star game, played 22 mins., and scored 8 pts.

sagegrouse
    His gold medal was from the 2004 olympics.

Is someone paying ESPN not to mention Nelson at all ever? Two places where it seems like at least a mention of him starting the first game would be expected, and he's totally ignored. I don't expect ESPN to anoint him the next superstar, but at least acknowledge he's in the league. Sheesh.

Warriors Season Preview

Golden State v. New Orleans Preview