Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Negativity about Greg Paulus

I cant stand the anti Greg undertones around here. This guy has improved each year, stats and intangibles. He is the senior leader and has worked his butt off to make it this far. I hate listening to the this guy vs. that guy stuff. If nolan earns the starting nod so be it, but stop the specualtion and acting like we would be better without Greg on the floor. Crunch time - Close game - championship on the line. I WANT GREG PAULUS with the ball in his hands. (sorry if i step on any toes, just the clumination to a long week and something i cant hold in any longer)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Well..don't take it personal..I'm sure Paulus won't. It's all about competition, and what is the most complementary team on the floor. Just like Scheyer coming off the bench last year, if that is the role for Greg that best fits the team this year then so be it. If anything, enjoy the criticisms and questioning. Until we start facing some real opponents, it's a healthy conversation by DUKE FANS, and keeps us entertained...in the end we are all on the same side having fun.

Paulus is a captain and definitely wont. He may in fact b/c this year's 6th man of the year. He will nearly be the equivalant of Trajan Langdon coming off the bench - and that's HUGE.

Not to mention we will have a very STRONG rotation this year - one that might be able to even step on the gas when the "starters" are out...

Kudos to Greg

I think its easy to focus on Greg's limitations, and ignore some strengths that are harder to quantify. There were numerous times last year when he was the most confident player on the floor last year, and that often led to big plays. You see K and a lot of players talking about ego in a positive way this year--Greg has probably the strongest ego on the team.

That said, I think Greg is ultimately not our best option at point guard. He has evolved into a shooter, and we should use him as such. But I want to challenge the idea of Greg powering the second team--he will be most dangerous when he is on the floor with the Big 3, who will draw in the defense and leave Greg open to shoot. If Greg is out there with Thomas, Z, Pocius and Wiliams, then he'll have a much tougher time finding his shot, because he'll probably be the biggest scoring threat on the floor. (Of course, he can still be a decent point guard in those situations.)

Consider me a Greg Paulus fan and I agree with you that he deserves the benefit of the doubt as the senior leader. However, I don't think the issue is so much wanting the ball in Greg's hands at crunch time, but having Greg on the floor on the defensive end during said crunch time. Seems as though Nolan is just a much stronger defender.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    But I want to challenge the idea of Greg powering the second team--he will be most dangerous when he is on the floor with the Big 3, who will draw in the defense and leave Greg open to shoot. If Greg is out there with Thomas, Z, Pocius and Wiliams, then he'll have a much tougher time finding his shot, because he'll probably be the biggest scoring threat on the floor. (Of course, he can still be a decent point guard in those situations.)
    I'll be very surprised if Duke ever plays an NBA-style "first unit" and "second unit." I expect there to be myriad combinations of players on the floor together this season.

But I also agree with you that Greg will be most dangerious when other members of the team draw double teams and kick out to him for an open 3.

Starter vs. minutes

Being a starter is more of an honor than containing a lot of meaning. Take a look at Scheyer's minutes last season compared to how many he started (1st column is number of games, second column number of starts, third column number of minutes). Scheyer was third in total minutes played:

DeMarcus Nelson 34 34 1051
    Kyle Singler 34 34 972
    Gerald Henderson 34 33 891
    Jon Scheyer 34 1 963
    Greg Paulus 34 33 943
    Nolan Smith 34 1 500
    Taylor King 34 0 330
    Lance Thomas 32 28 593
    Brian Zoubek 25 2 262
    David McClure 30 4 268

The team needs to be a meritocracy and I hope that coach always thinks that way. One thing is certain, if Nolan is going to start over Paulus, you can be sure that Paulus is going to be in his face 24/7 during practices. I wonder how intense that match-up is day in and day out right now? I wouldn't be surprised if it came to blows once or twice - Paulus is a proud dude. Maybe K is thinking back to '98 and wondering what would have happened if Avery had started in front of Wojo toward the end of the year...visions of Wayne Turner dancing in his head.

I wouldn't be surprised if it came to blows once or twice - Paulus is a proud dude.
    I would be surprised. They seem to like each other. Greg was first over to help Nolan up when he was knocked down in the exhibition game. They'll push each other but there is respect there and they both want the team to win more than they want individual honors. This is not a McRoberts/Zoubek rivalry.
    Last edited by -jk; 10-27-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I would be surprised. They seem to like each other. Greg was first over to help Nolan up when he was knocked down in the exhibition game. They'll push each other but there is respect there and they both want the team to win more than they want individual honors. This is not a McRoberts/Zoubek rivalry.
    Michael Jordan punched Steve Kerr during practice...stuff happens in the heat of the battle, especially when you lose your starting spot in the sport that you chose over football where you were a much more legit pro prospect as a high school senior. He's a good soldier, but don't doubt that he is trying to get that spot back.

I think one of the reasons Greg has become such a lightning rod between Duke fans and on these message boards is because, IMO, with as many people out there who rip Paulus all the time and harp on his limitations, there are just as many people who tend to ignore Greg's deficiencies and act like he's the best player to ever go to Duke even though any fan can see he's far from it. I've been hard on Paulus in the past but I've always been the first to congratulate the guy when he plays well. As long as he plays for Duke, I want him to do well at all times.

With that being said, I happen to think Nolan Smith starting makes this team better. He's a better ball defender and he's better off-the-dribble than Paulus, two things Duke could really use from its PG position. I think Paulus is the best pure shooter on the team (and probably the ACC) but that's not at as much of a premium for this team as what Smith brings.

Whatever happens, it will be what's best for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    My understanding is that this type of competition (that they can maintain while still respecting and liking each other) is very much the make up of the entire team this year.

Paulus is our best 3 shooter

It seems as if Paulus is stronger at the 2 guard spot, this may be crazy to throw out there but I could even see him starting at the 2, if only he were athletic enough to guard the opposing shooting guard. I think Greg is hands down our best shooter...just look at what he did against the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill last year. I know Greg won't necessarily start, but allowing him to come off the bench and have a green light to jack up threes could be his most effective role for us, and I'm sure one he would enjoy. Anyway, even having this argument is a great thing for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    I think one of the reasons Greg has become such a lightning rod between Duke fans and on these message boards is because, IMO, with as many people out there who rip Paulus all the time and harp on his limitations, there are just as many people who tend to ignore Greg's deficiencies and act like he's the best player to ever go to Duke even though any fan can see he's far from it. I've been hard on Paulus in the past but I've always been the first to congratulate the guy when he plays well. As long as he plays for Duke, I want him to do well at all times.

With that being said, I happen to think Nolan Smith starting makes this team better. He's a better ball defender and he's better off-the-dribble than Paulus, two things Duke could really use from its PG position. I think Paulus is the best pure shooter on the team (and probably the ACC) but that's not at as much of a premium for this team as what Smith brings.

I agree with this post. Especially with the absence of Nelson (who was the guy who often had to defend quicker PG), I think Smith's skillset is more essential. That said, I agree that Paulus is still a valuable member of the team. I just think that his skillset is more valuable as a SG than as a PG, where he can focus on getting his shot and playing defense away from the ball.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It will be very interesting to compare GP's scoring output this year opposed to previous years. I'm assuming it will go up, it will be exciting to watch him unleashed in the role of scorer. K does a great job of utilizing his player's strengths.
    It will also be interesting to watch how he adapts to the SG; will he actually have to focus on being that player and not the PG, or will he just smoothly take to it?

This could be a fantastic development for the team. I was not one who wanted Nolan to start based upon his performances last year, but it sounds like Nolan has taken a big leap from last year.

If it is better for Nolan to start, think of how dangerous that makes the "second" group coming off of the bench. Greg is a great leader and will be better able to direct the younger subs than Nolan. It also gives us a great scoring threat off of the bench. And, like Jon last year, it gives us a player who can watch the beginning of the game from the bench and discuss the flow with the coaches, and come into the game ready to implement adjustments.

Most important, if Nolan has improved so much to earn the starting job, that means we are a much better team. Good for Nolan, great for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post

No one has ever said Paulus is the best player to ever go to Duke. That statement alone shows you why people get annoyed because Paulus haters only focus on his limitations. Greg has limitations for sure...but not many people have the deadly shot he has either...i guarantee Nolan wishes he could shoot like Greg.

I also keep hearing this "better of the dribble" or "better driver" The thing is that we have good drivers in Singler, Hendo, Williams, Marty, Scheyer...wouldn't you rather have a PG that doesn't turn the ball over?

I completely agree that Nolan shows signs of being a good defender and without Nelson that's needed. He also seems to have won the starting job so if K is for it then i'm excited to see what happens. It just seems to me that people forget how valuable Greg is on the court and they might see it when teams focus on stopping Nolan from driving and he can't hit the 3 to get the lanes open.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    I also keep hearing this "better of the dribble" or "better driver" The thing is that we have good drivers in Singler, Hendo, Williams, Marty, Scheyer...wouldn't you rather have a PG that doesn't turn the ball over?
    Driving and then dishing is a time-tested, effective point guard skill. If a point guard can draw multiple defenders, then pass to the open man, lots of different players can get involved in the offense. It's really nice to have a point guard with this ability, as it can make a huge difference in your overall offensive output if all three of the guards on the floor can drive, as opposed to just two.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    It just seems to me that people forget how valuable Greg is on the court and they might see it when teams focus on stopping Nolan from driving and he can't hit the 3 to get the lanes open.
    Nolan Smith made 38.6% of his 3-point attempts as a freshman. Yes this was less than the 42.3% made by Paulus. However, as a freshman, Paulus connected on only 31.4% of his attempts. It is a misconception that Nolan Smith does not have 3-point range. His stroke looks a little awkward, but he has demonstrated the ability to knock down the shot.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Driving and then dishing is a time-tested, effective point guard skill. If a point guard can draw multiple defenders, then pass to the open man, lots of different players can get involved in the offense. It's really nice to have a point guard with this ability, as it can make a huge difference in your overall offensive output if all three of the guards on the floor can drive, as opposed to just two.
    I don't disagree with this...but why does it HAVE to be the PGs main skill if so many other people in the game can do it? Is a drive from Hendo less valuable then one from Smith?

Paulus improved near the end of the year at getting in the lane...it's definitely something he needs to improve...i just think Greg's pure shooting ability will be missed more then people realize in big games if he's on the bench and Smith can't get in the lane because people aren't respecting his shot.